Overscan on only one dimension

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Overscan on only one dimension

I know the overscan topic has been covered but I have run into a slightly different issue.

So my scene is setup to match an image a client gave me.
The current dimensions of their image is:
Width 2588 x 3338 at 300 dpi (8.625 inches x 11.128 inches)

The client needs the NEW image that I am going to render to be 25 inches x 25 inches without changing the perspective. (So basically I need overscan on the left and right sides of the image)

I took the image in photoshop and did an image size and changed the dimensions of the height to be 25 inches keeping constrain proportions locked. This gives me an image size of
Width 5813 x height 7500 at 300 dpi (19.376 inches x 25 inches)

So in C4d my render settings are set to 5813 x 7500 and everything looks exactly the same as the smaller image, however, if I change the Width from 5813 to 7500 the image perspective changes.

Is there a way to adjust the camera so that I can make the 5813 dimension to 7500 without changing the camera's perspective?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Unhappy

I found a quick fix solution that seems to work for what I need, but there must be a more accurate mathematical way to do this so it's pixel perfect?

http://www.pixeldriver.com/CAFE/renderwidth.m4v

Above is the link in case anyone else runs into this situation!

Upon testing this it actually didn't work....my main object was rendered larger than it is supposed to be...hmmmm

back to searching :(

Last edited by Bezerker75 : 08 August 2013 at 08:10 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Follow this advice:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1038449

Render big with same proportions, but then just crop in Photoshop if client just needs it wider.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Thanks for the tip on that thread. I ended up just buying the xsCameraSize plugin. Great little plugin!!

It did pretty much the same as the Video file above only it's probably more accurate than doing it manually.

Only one issue I had with it was that my camera has "film offset" and the plugin as with the video method above both do not take into account film offset...so my main object is slid off to the left.

I did manage to find a working solution....basically I created a PS document that was 25 x 25 with the original image centered, brought that into C4D used it as a background then adjusted my render size to 7500 x 7500 to match the background image and then manually adjusted the film offset to match using the sensor size that the XS plugin calculated and what do you know...perfect match!!

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread