importing CAD files into c4d

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
importing CAD files into c4d

Hi everyone,

I would like to import CAD files, which are in the stp format into Cinema 4d.

So I looked around at the internet and I also found some advice.

But I was wondering if anyone here has som experience with it and could give me some advice as well. For example which is the best program to convert the files into a format, which c4d can open and so on.

It would be great to get some help and thanks a lot

Anna

08 August 2013
I would recommend Moi3D, as it exports OBJ files with pretty clean geometry and good export options for the amount of subdivisions needed.

08 August 2013
Lots of threads on this topic, including one just a few weeks ago. Search for CAD and/or Moi and you'll get a ton of discussion.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by AdamT: Lots of threads on this topic, including one just a few weeks ago. Search for CAD and/or Moi and you'll get a ton of discussion.

Here's the one he's referring to - thread title is a little misleading:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1080022

08 August 2013
My only beef with Moi so far is that when I slice a chunk out of a client CAD model, I get a hollow object at the slice points, not a nice solid object like I do in ViaCAD. If you don't need cutaways, Moi is just fine as a converter.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by gdogfunk: My only beef with Moi so far is that when I slice a chunk out of a client CAD model, I get a hollow object at the slice points, not a nice solid object like I do in ViaCAD. If you don't need cutaways, Moi is just fine as a converter.

Are you doing your cutaways in MOI? 90% of the time I can do a boolean cutaway in MOI and then export it. Other times I just have to ask the CAD people to export me both a "full" model and a cutaway as .SAT files to then bring into MOI and convert to OBJ's.

08 August 2013
I go through Rhino3D and use the C4D plugin which works like a charm!

http://www.rhino.io/

The time saved using that combo is worth every penny.

Good luck
Rainer

PS: Sometimes (mild understatement) those meshes are not exactly easy to deal with in C4D as they are often triangulated and that just bends my catmull... So... for modeling nirvana I chase that mesh mess through the newest and latest addition in ZBrush. The remesher. OMG... that is pure black magic. Crazy triangulated non editable, unappetizing, harsh, undeformable CAD based meshes become a pleasure to work with. Check it out.

Last edited by LemonNado : 08 August 2013 at 03:48 PM.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by LemonNado: I go through Rhino3D and use the C4D plugin which works like a charm!

Good luck
Rainer

What file format do you request from the client to bring into Rhino?

08 August 2013
I like IGES if it's from another cad package. Otherwise anything Rhino digests. And that's a lot.
However, getting something meaningful out of the Autodesk world is always associated with pain. Layer mess, messy geometry (a gift from the cad user)... I put an extra charge on those projects.
Rainer

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by rickmorgan: Are you doing your cutaways in MOI? 90% of the time I can do a boolean cutaway in MOI and then export it. Other times I just have to ask the CAD people to export me both a "full" model and a cutaway as .SAT files to then bring into MOI and convert to OBJ's.

I was told by the developer of Moi that an object needs to be a true closed mesh in order to leave a solid cutaway. The imported STEP files or SAT files that I was working with on a recent project were not truly closed according to Moi, so it left open edges. ViaCad requires me to create a square spline, then extrude it, then I can trim it using the boolean tools and I get a nice clean slice, whereas Moi does the extrusion by itself when you use a square spline to slice an object.

Then I export as VRML 2.0 for C4D import. If an object needs more tessellation, I generally export an SAT file and take it into old EIM since it has a nice wireframe tessellation preview that is easy to work with and export an OBJ. It's a little bit of hoop jumping, but it works for me.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by LemonNado: I go through Rhino3D and use the C4D plugin which works like a charm!

Good luck
Rainer

PS: Sometimes (mild understatement) those meshes are not exactly easy to deal with in C4D as they are often triangulated and that just bends my catmull... So... for modeling nirvana I chase that mesh mess through the newest and latest addition in ZBrush. The remesher. OMG... that is pure black magic. Crazy triangulated non editable, unappetizing, harsh, undeformable CAD based meshes become a pleasure to work with. Check it out.

Same pipeline here, and the ZB remesher really is the icing on the cake. Another worthy addition T-Splines for Rhino which allows you to bring convert your SDS mesh from Cinema into a useable NURBS object in Rhino.

08 August 2013
thanks a lot for all your help

I tested moi today and it looks really good. Especially as I can choose the amount of polygons in the fbx options. Another question here. I tested fbx and obj transfer, but to be honest, both of them seems to be the same quality and there wasn't much different between these. Or am I missing something?

There where also lots of details in the object and nearly everything was looking fine :-) I guess a little bit modeling work has always been done afterwards, but that's ok.

I am still testing some other applications as well, but this one looks really good

08 August 2013
Moi3D is made by the guy who did Rhino. If you have rhino open and MOI you can cut and paste back and force. Rhino and MOI are overlapping in functionality, but usually can do things where the other package kinda fails. If a boolean does not work in Package A it usually works in the other one. Funny thing is that instead of fixing those issues both sides explain the reason for the shortfalls extensively. As if everybody is proud to understand why something does not work, but nobody does a thing about it. Like a fail because of a seam. Why not move that seam and then simply work.... CAD programmers... snicker...

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread