If I Don't Renew MSA?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #46
Yeah, I'd happily pay for V5 too, as I feel I've gotten great value for money so far. It would be nice to know that if I did I'd be paying exactly the same as anyone else in any case. In this day of 'the cloud' and online distribution it only makes sense to me.

I guess Maxon customer support is useful for some but I've never used it (well I did ask them a few years back about issues with working with FK in Cinema and their response was 'well why notjust use IK instead' which put me off bothering again TBH!). Autodesk on the other hand seem to have terrible customer service which makes the extra premium I pay more of a bitter pill. Anyhow, getting off topic I guess so I'll stop there..

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
Yeah, I'd happily pay for V5 too, as I feel I've gotten great value for money so far. It would be nice to know that if I did I'd be paying exactly the same as anyone else in any case. In this day of 'the cloud' and online distribution it only makes sense to me.

I guess Maxon customer support is useful for some but I've never used it (well I did ask them a few years back about issues with working with FK in Cinema and their response was 'well why notjust use IK instead' which put me off bothering again TBH!). Autodesk on the other hand seem to have terrible customer service which makes the extra premium I pay more of a bitter pill. Anyhow, getting off topic I guess so I'll stop there..

Cheers,
Brian

I normally get - it was your graphics card, or it was the plugin, all the msa is in effect is a locked in upgrade discount

Old 08 August 2013   #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativebloke
So we're getting screwed then.....good to know......

Just because the starbucks down the road is offering free samples of their latest drink doesn't mean the starbucks you are at is "screwing you".

Old 08 August 2013   #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi
the starbucks down the road is offering free samples...

Well, in that case I might make the choice to walk down that road to get a better deal.. not really possible in this case though

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi
Just because the starbucks down the road is offering free samples of their latest drink doesn't mean the starbucks you are at is "screwing you".

I feel a lot better now. Not really the same thing. You may think that argument stands up, but, it doesn't. Analogy wars strike again.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder

Old 08 August 2013   #51
Clearly there's no 'winning' this argument from either side, but Maxon US should be aware that by offering preferential bonuses to their US customers that are not available elsewhere they are bound to piss some people off.
To make another coffee analogy, that $295 saving plus the price of a coffee in Starbucks might buy you a pro license of UVLayout for example.. something very useful if you are a C4D user.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #52
They don't offer the MSA elsewhere because they are not seeing any money from these sales.
They only cover the Americas, so it would be slightly unfair to them to poney up for other offices' customers.

Now, it would be up to the other countries offices to strike a deal with Maxon US to bundle Cineversity with each of their own sale, or to develop their own, similar platform.
But since this is a huge and clostly undertaking, this is why there's a difference in offering.

Now the price difference between currencies, I also think there's no excuse, or at least not on that scale (different taxes and stuff can make a difference in pricing, so it has to be taken into account too).

Old 08 August 2013   #53
I is t a preferential treatment at all. It's a business deal pure and simple. Every free account of cineversity that Maxon US provides costs them from the money cineversity makes. If the UK office wanted to provide it they could license the cost of those accounts from cineversity too.

It's the same deal Maxon Germany and Maxon US have. Maxon US can charge whatever they would like for C4D and its various bundles. Maxon Germany sells licenses to them at a specific discounted price allowing them to profit if they charge the same amount as Germany does. Maxon US has felt at least once to my knowledge that a price was unacceptable and charged much less, leaving them to take the Hit. That's there choice to make.

The same witty cineversity. Maxon UK and Germany, heck probably any reseller for that matter, could choose to make a deal and provide Cineversity access with their MSA's but either they increase their price or they take that initial $295 hit and subsequent $95 per subscription year. They have to choose how important such a benefit is.

Same goes with support. Some seem to suggest that support seems to be poor or lacking, particularly UK customers. That's each offices choice I. Terms of who and how many support people they chose to hire.

Maxon US often goes beyond the call of duty in efforts to teach, support, and promote. Cineversity is a prime example, cineversity live and cineversity 1on1 were two others that didn't last as long. They are more time consuming while being less sustaining. CV live is primarily for the trade shows now. You can think that they were offering preferential treatment but as chi said it isn't preferential it's just one location offering anything while the others are not.

Old 08 August 2013   #54
Another key factor is likely how strong the competition is. I've never personally met a Maxon customer in the US, but I've met a bunch of devout Autodesk cutomers.

Old 08 August 2013   #55
As customers we are really not interested in the internal machinations of the company, who does what, and who pays who. What we are interested in is the cost and services provided.

From what I gather Maxon UK can't charge whatever they want. No movement on the MSA. So it still stands. Maxon customers are not being treated as equals in the global marketplace. If UK users don't get the same products and services then we should pay less than those who get more products/services.

Last edited by deepshade : 08 August 2013 at 06:40 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #56
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepshade
(...) customers are not being treated as equals in the global marketplace (...)

*sigh* That statement works fine with anything. Considering the price of any Adobe product in Germany vs. the price in the US, even before taxes...

(...when you could still BUY Adobe products...)

...globalization is inherently unfair and not meant to maximize customer benefits, but company earnings. That's how it is.

Old 08 August 2013   #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepshade
From what I gather Maxon UK can't charge whatever they want. No movement on the MSA.

When I wanted to upgrade to studio a couple of years ago Maxon UK had to contact Maxon Germany to get approval for the price they were offering. So you're right: they cannot charge what they want and are not an independent reseller in the usual sense. If they were, UK customers would be able to buy from Maxon US which would encourage the UK folks to offer a better deal to get those customers back. That's how it *should* work IMO, if competition meant anything.

Steve

Old 08 August 2013   #58
so it seems that there is an internal maxon pricing policy between different divisions which is at the root of this.......good to know that internal processes are interfering with customer perception of value.

As I said don't goto direct to maxon uk for pricing when there are other resellers who will undercut the maxon uk price. I initially went to Toolfarm as I do for most of my software purchases because I can buy them at 'global' prices not UK ones which can save a lot, but they said due to Maxon policy I had to buy within the UK.

While I stand by the 'screwed' comment, it isn't about the physical cost that irritates me, which when compared to an upgrade is really good value. Just call it a 'loyal customer renewal programme'.....(I should work in marketing), but calling it an MSA is misleading especially when different customer facing parts of Maxon can't seem to agree what you get with an MSA.

Seriously though there is one world, there should be one Maxon, it isn't like their aren't competing companies who offer 'global' pricing and support who have bases in two countries....... and rhyme with 'boundary' (kind of!)

Old 08 August 2013   #59
The UK version comes bundled with free universal healthcare so you don't have to spend 20% of your income on health insurance.

Old 08 August 2013   #60
Seems to me it works rather like the car business in the US. The dealerships have a relationship with the manufacturer but they are their own businesses. Johnson Ford may offer a "free tires for life" deal with a new Mustang while Smith Ford does not. The same car will cost more in a big city than it will out in the sticks. Now Tesla is shaking up the market by selling only factory direct....

Thread Closed share thread