Plugincafe, pleas clarify once more

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Cactus Dan: One thing that baffles and amuses me is how many things in the SDK documentation are labeled "private". If it's private, what's it doing in there in the first place.

Those are usually things that, due to different reasons, Maxon can not officially support. We try to make the API as usable as possible, but sometimes there is a parameter that is either very difficult to use and - if used in a wrong way - could impact the application's stability, or that are only useful in some rare cases that may occur only in our internal code. We're not holding back any information or marking stuff as private out of pure impishness ;-)

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by c4d-jack: Those are usually things that, due to different reasons, Maxon can not officially support. We try to make the API as usable as possible, but sometimes there is a parameter that is either very difficult to use and - if used in a wrong way - could impact the application's stability, or that are only useful in some rare cases that may occur only in our internal code. We're not holding back any information or marking stuff as private out of pure impishness ;-)

Is stability also the reason, why we do not get support about OpenGL in the API? I never understood, why there are examples in the SDK, when we are not supposed to use it.

Cheers,
André

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by maxx981: Is stability also the reason, why we do not get support about OpenGL in the API? I never understood, why there are examples in the SDK, when we are not supposed to use it.

Cheers,
André

Yes - GL is extremly easy to mess up. Some might remember that we issued a 14.042 update which contained a "stability fix" for ATI/AMD cards on OS X.

What the code in 14.041 did was perfectly valid and running smoothly on Win and most of the time on OS X - unless you hit a certain timing with the 4T view; then Apple's driver crashed (which was related to when we used to bind buffers).

Combine that with the plentora of things you can or can't do depending on the GL version and (core) profile, possible pitfalls with resource management on the gfx card and you're heading for trouble.

Best regards,

wbj

07 July 2013
As Steve said earlier. It does look like a the company (not the support people) has a very low priority concerning their sdk support.
The support guys (Matthias & Yannick) have always come across to me as very nice and wanting to help.
But they also come across to me as being handcuffed to some degree by the company.
It's just the vibe that I get.

What really drives me nuts more than anything is that they keep on repeating the same workflow.
Why do they keep on making new things...And then not documenting them properly as soon as these new things get created?
If they did this. There would be no need to bother a support person for help in the first place.

All they have to do is instate a company wide policy that if a Dev. creates a function, a class, or whatever, for the API. They MUST take 5-10 mins. and create a very simple example of it. And send it to the support person.
How hard can this be on the programmers? How much time and money could this cost them to take 5-10 mins. to whip up a tiny example and send it to the support guy?
Are they really being so driven mercilessly by the company that they can't swing this?
Maybe they are? Without being there I don't know.
But from my outsider's perspective. It seems like a such a simple time management problem to solve.

The past is the past. And that can't be changed.
But the new stuff that's being written today. That CAN be changed with a simple company wide policy of documenting what you create. As you create it.
There's an old saying: "You can't expect to get a different result if you keep on doing the same thing over and over".

-ScottA

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers: As Steve said earlier. It does look like a the company (not the support people) has a very low priority concerning their sdk support. The support guys (Matthias & Yannick) have always come across to me as very nice and wanting to help. But they also come across to me as being handcuffed to some degree by the company. It's just the vibe that I get.

IMHO it is a mistake to argue or think in that way. A company is either doing bad or not.
The idea that the employees of a company are all desperate to do better, but are being
hold back by some unknown and unreachable superior force, could be called naive at best.
If the support is bad, the support staff is not doing a good job, it is not your task as a
customer to find the reasons why. As long as you do relativize your criticism, by explicitly
excluding the employees from it, you cannot expect any changes.

08 August 2013
So, I tested the support once again. And... what a surprise, I didn't get an answer since a month. And my current question from the beginning of this week... well, guess.

I am so very pissed about this behavior. I even called twice, but they couldn't even tell me, that they will ask the devs to look at the forum. NOT EVEN FUCKING THAT.

Just ridiculous, I really don't know, why I still create functionality for this software...

Pissed,
André

Btw. the question which is a month old needs a "Yes, you have to", or "No, you don't" as an answer. The question from before a week needs a pointer to a function or a "no, Cinema can't do that" or maybe a "add this flag, done".

How fucking hard can that be?

Last edited by maxx981 : 08 August 2013 at 03:17 PM.

08 August 2013
to be fair you are paying for the SDK since its listed as a feature under customizing.

"CINEMA 4D offers three options for programmers to create their own functionality: programming in C.O.F.F.E.E., a proprietary programming language; Python, a standard programming language; or C++ SDK.
"

so its like saying you get free shaders so we don't support that or you get lights free but we don't support that or we don't support the gui even though its free....its become part of the product...so really support should be there for it. i mean sure they could pull it but that would be very good for them...instead it offered on the feature list but not supported by technical resources because it costs a lot more money for that sort of support. maybe they should offer a bolt of level of support for developers as part of a developer MSA if they were serious about supporting external developers

Henry Moore

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread