Effex 2.0 release (also a PLE Version)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #16
Originally Posted by EricM: Control is good, but so far I'm curious to know why to create a simple emitter you need up to five or six objects linked together : Particles Grid Emitter + Particle Emisison Settings + Duration + Rate + alignment + particle groups...

You only need two objects in that case.
The Particle Grid Emitter and the particle emission settings.

Duration, Rate (which only makes sense with a Particle Mesh Emitter) and alignment are all optional for further control.

Alignement for example is used when emitting vorticity particles only (so you can give them an initial spin direction).

Particle Group...well, you need a particle group to store particles. No way around this. And the emitter needs to know the target particle group (just as in TP).

The reason is the same as in a node based system (that's how it's internally structured), reusability. Just as you do in Xpresso to control several other nodes with a single one.

For example using a pmesh emitter with a pgrid emitter allows reusing durations, alignments and rates for both emitters and only changing one emission settings. This concept therefore gets more advantageous with complexity. In simple setups it seems over the top but with more complex setups the framework actually shines.

Quote: Why not have one object with 5 tabs for such common settings with basic settings already dialed in?

Because it destroys the advantage of in-depth modular control approach and it makes reusability impossible or only possible with hard-coded (even if dynamic) code. Also it makes extenting from the outside (other developers for example) way harder. And the new framework makes developement easier too (bug finding and fixes, faster updates, extensions..).

One has to keep in mind that the framework is not specific. It only provides an time and space integrated environment for any kind of stuff. The user could calculate orange growth using available structures or incorporate own algorithms or even extent the existing ones! Empowering this is only possible if deep access is given and that's what the framework has in mind.

Quote: I'm eagerly waiting for more documentation and tutorials, because as of now I find it a bit puzzling to say the least.

Yeah, no doubt in the beginning you have to get your head around it (also because there are so many nodes) but once you get the hang of it you'll see it becomes quite simple and powerful.

Please feel free to post any questions in our forum or here, we will gladly help. Also it's good to check out the example files. But yep, tutorials and docs will follow definetly! We are urging promised

Last edited by Katachi : 07 July 2013 at 01:00 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #17
Samir, is there a chance you could make the PLE work with the free student version?

Old 07 July 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Tyrus86: Samir, is there a chance you could make the PLE work with the free student version?

I don't think so I'm afraid because the PLE requires a serial number.

Old 08 August 2013   #19
Originally Posted by EricM: I'm tryin the PLE as we speak but I must say I'm a bit worried at the moment.

While I like the concept of modularity, just like X-particles or Mograph, so far I feel the process has been pushed a bit over the top.

Control is good, but so far I'm curious to know why to create a simple emitter you need up to five or six objects linked together : Particles Grid Emitter + Particle Emisison Settings + Duration + Rate + alignment + particle groups...

Why not have one object with 5 tabs for such common settings with basic settings already dialed in?

I'm eagerly waiting for more documentation and tutorials, because as of now I find it a bit puzzling to say the least.

It looks shocking at first but if you keep at it you'll find that you start throwing nodes around like it's second nature, and that's when the fun begins.

Old 08 August 2013   #20
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG: It looks shocking at first but if you keep at it you'll find that you start throwing nodes around like it's second nature, and that's when the fun begins.

Looking forward to this but with the dearth of documentation/tutorials at the moment it's hard to get into it. One thing it is not is intuitive.

Old 08 August 2013   #21
FYI, we just released a free service update. 2.00.05

Old 08 August 2013   #22
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread