rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Team Render Q&A

Very excited by Team Render. Network rendering for the technically challenged, which is me. Set up seems incredibly easy and the results looking at Mash's video on Youtube look well worth the effort. I have a wireless network but it's nice and nippy so I am sure I would see a speed improvement.

My question is how does this work with addons and plugins. 2 that spring to mind are a) Enhance textures (which I think I pretty much use on every project) and b) Steadycam Pro. Although I have been using the in app tools for the camera moves, Steadycam Pro is superb when it comes to impossible moves. Also on the list might be Light Kit Pro Turbulence 4D and X-Particles.

Do I have to add these plugins to each Studio Client to have a working Team Render environment, along with the painful upgrade needed when updates arrive?

all the best

Richard

Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
I did see in the release thread, Shrek mentioned TR could be installed as a render-only client. I would expect it then to work exactly as current Net clients do with regard to plugins and such.
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
3DKiwi
Expert

Nigel Doyle
New Zealand

Plugins work with TR. You have to load them into each client.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DKiwi
Plugins work with TR. You have to load them into each client.

I guess there has to be a downside. I seem to remember there being a way to have your plugins in Dropbox for C4D to access from different machines. Will have to investigate.

Edit. I found it

Keeping your plugins in sync across multiple computers

Old 07-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
JoelOtron
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
USA

I posted this in the other thread--but will move the discussion here.
I am wondering how TR will change things in my current studios setup.

We currently use NET for the c4d guys where I work and overall works well.
Although there are things I like about TR, there are a few things I'm wondering about.

Not sure I like how your workstation now becomes the render manager. Its a benefit in some situations, like when you aren't doing production work on it (but good if you are leaving for the day).

Srek mentions that you can turn off the rendering aspect of TR on your workstation so its only being used to distribute and collect assets and rendered frames via P2P, but I guess until I see how much RAM or CPU resources TR is using in the background Im a little bit concerned. Hopefully any system slowdown would be negligible. Also wondering if restarting the workstation computer could interrupt the rendering process on the clients?

The other issue is that although its good for one guy who might need to push through a render, in a studio situation where people are working independently and launch renders when needed, it appears that there could be some conflicts. With NET, each guy simply starts their render and they move to the queue--same queue shared by and seen by everyone. With this new TR method, it looks like each person would launch their render from their own workstation, unaware of other possible renders. I'm not sure if TR has a central queue that the files would be sent to like in NET, or if the renders would attempt to use the same boxes on the network which another animator might be already using.

If this IS the case (and I could be totally off here), I would really prefer to keep the legacy NET render if possible, or have Maxon release Team Render as a manager app as well.

Hopefully I got this all wrong and we will not need to go with a 3rd party render manager.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

There is no specific server or control instance, however you can set up one machine to handle all renderings by simply saving projects to a network drive and using that machine to add and manage those projects from the Renderqueue.
Multiple users can use the same TR clients, the jobs will be queued locally on a first come first serve base.
TR makes it easy to only make a certain amount of the CPU power of a system available, you can set the number of threads used for each client. This way you can make renderpower from your system available, without having a huge impact on your work. You can also run a client parallel to normal CINEMA 4D versions.
The old Net Render is not available with R15 anymore.
The work with 3rd party render managers isn't connected to TR in any way, it still works via the commandline version, like with R14.

If you have any ideas on how this should be changed, please make sure to tell it to Maxon directly using the suggestions form, however, personally i would ask you to wait with this until you have actually tried TR.

Cheers
Björn

Last edited by Srek : 07-24-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
mism
PRO
Mark Mathieson
3D Artist
GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
If this IS the case (and I could be totally off here), I would really prefer to keep the legacy NET render if possible, or have Maxon release Team Render as a manager app as well.

Hopefully I got this all wrong and we will not need to go with a 3rd party render manager.

This is concerning me as well. Apologies for repeating my comments from the R15 thread but two things concern me and feel like a backward step:

We have 7 Broadcast licenses and 2 Studio, any one of those users can launch a Net Render that utilises all of our machines.
If I understand correctly, with R15, Broadcast users will have to pester one of the Studio users if they want to render on more than three machines?

With no central server no one will have admin rights to prioritise jobs. Buying a Studio license just to manage renders is a very expensive solution.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
MikeFix
PRO
Mike Fix
FIX
los angeles, USA

I'm guessing it will also work fine in a mixed OS environment?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
hsrdelic
Game, set and mesh

portfolio
Hrvoje
Split, Croatia

I am not really experienced with TR since I used it only with one extra machine, but it works seamlessly with my Workstation PC and Macbook pro laptop and I am pretty sure it doesn't care which OS you are using. By the way, it is quite simple to setup and all I had to do is:

- Enable TR in prefs
- Make sure that security token is the same
- Macbook was recognized automagically
- Hit team render to PV

Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Cometsoft
Expert

Any idea how well it works over a middle of the road wireless network?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
wbj
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometsoft

If the wireless network can just deliver 60 kb/s (while transfer speed on a local machine is 1000s of kb/s) and you need to transfer 1 Gb or more of data ... then you can do the math.

As always, the bottlenecks determine the speed you can or can't achieve (therefore Gbit ethernet is recommended).

Best regards,

wbj

Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometsoft

It realy depends on the number of clients and the size of the project. Keep in mind that the P2P mechanism in TR still does need bandwidth and different to a modern switched cable based ethernet network the bandwidth in a wireless network is much much smaller. In a cabled network it is determined by the switch, which usually has a backplane bandwidth many times that of GBit Ethernet.
I wouldn't try to use WLAN with more than 1-2 clients for any serious work.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
mikeh64

portfolio
Mike Hoium
Minneapolis, USA

I use a friend's personal render farm via Dropbox and the Internet. We share a Dropbox folder that is also the net render admin folder, so any job dumped in there is queued up automatically. I then login to net server via a web browser as a user to start and manage jobs, and the results go straight in to the admin folder in Dropbox. I don't have direct access to any computer I'm using and can be anywhere in the world to do this. It works great.

It seems like these days are over with team render - correct?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh64
I use a friend's personal render farm via Dropbox and the Internet. We share a Dropbox folder that is also the net render admin folder, so any job dumped in there is queued up automatically. I then login to net server via a web browser as a user to start and manage jobs, and the results go straight in to the admin folder in Dropbox. I don't have direct access to any computer I'm using and can be anywhere in the world to do this. It works great.

It seems like these days are over with team render - correct?

This workflow is not supported by TR, it is not a drop in replacement for Net but a competley new paradigm on sharing computational ressources for rendering.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
RickBarrett
Talking Head
Rick Barrett
MAXON Inc.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srek
Multiple users can use the same TR clients, the jobs will be queued locally on a first come first serve base.

Technically not quite first-come, first-served. Team Render to PV takes priority over using the Render Queue, and each member of the team gets an opportunity to render before it comes back around to you. So it's kind of a modified round-robin.

For example, if you queue 10 jobs and while you're rendering your first job coworker A then queues a job and coworker B team renders to the Picture Viewer, it'll render 1 of your jobs, coworker B's Picture Viewer job, coworker A's job, and then come back and render the rest of your jobs (unless somebody else in the team submits in the meantime).

reply share thread