MAXON Announces CINEMA 4D R15

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Srek: Morph tag isn't a deformer

Obviously it is not a deformer, but is it multithreaded? Please don't be pedantic

Old 07 July 2013   #32
Originally Posted by theglenster:

the new beveling tool and sliding tool are an absolute dream to model with

Oh boy i <3 your models !

Old 07 July 2013   #33
Originally Posted by marshalartist: Obviously it is not a deformer, but is it multithreaded? Please don't be pedantic

Sorry, it's just that i meant what i wrote, many deformers have been multithreaded. I would have made sure to include morph tag or similar if it had changed in a similar way, but it hasn't.

Old 07 July 2013   #34
This is actually a well thought-out and executed release. The workflows do not break any existing plugins via the press release, and everything looks like an improvement on existing features!

The bevel tool appears to work well with others meaning, you can bring in geometry from somewhere else where you are setting constraints or other parameters (SketchUp,Rhino, Etc.) and do advanced bevel and further modeling for extreme edge geometry tweaking.

The project tool that is part of the scultping tool seems like it will allow for interesting retopology - I need to see more from this.

The new rendering features are interesting and do not seem to complicate or present a learning curve. I appreciate the simplicity here - No endless tabs and sliders and controls - Thank you!

I would rather Maxon host its new version videos through youtube as the site can never keep up with demand on launch day of a new release in terms of viewing the new videos.

Please host these through Youtube next time. I would like to see the day that Maxon brings down Youtube due to user demand. This would be quite a statement.

Kudos on new release. It looks like I will pull the trigger on this one.

Another thing to consider - Please release new features ahead of Siggraph so those of us with maintenance can get an idea of the what to expect before we proceed with maintenance renewal fees.

Old 07 July 2013   #35
Originally Posted by Continuumx: I would rather Maxon host its new version videos through youtube as the site can never keep up with demand on launch day of a new release in terms of viewing the new videos.

Please host these through Youtube next time. I would like to see the day that Maxon brings down Youtube due to user demand. This would be quite a statement.

We will try
R15 Videos should become available on Youtube very soon.

Originally Posted by Continuumx: Kudos on new release. It looks like I will pull the trigger on this one.

Another thing to consider - Please release new features ahead of Siggraph so those of us with maintenance can get an idea of the what to expect before we proceed with maintenance renewal fees.

Siggraph is already announcing well ahead of release, which will be sometime in september or so. I doubt it will be possible to release anything earlier than this.
Cheers
Björn

Old 07 July 2013   #36

close up of the spoiler mech

Old 07 July 2013   #37
Originally Posted by marshalartist: Obviously it is not a deformer, but is it multithreaded? Please don't be pedantic

I'd say read carefully and perhaps be a little more concerned with details instead of condescending Srek for pointing out the clarity of his original post. He specified deformers. Didn't say much of the app was now multi threaded, or several areas, he said explicitly deformers.

Mixed release, from simply what I see on the maxon website will have to check out peoples blogs and videos when I have time as I'm in training all day. Cached AO and lightmaps sound awesome

I will point out maxon's sculpting blurp is confusing in it's wording. The headline seems to suggest some sort of dynamic sculpting. I'd expect that to be soemthing comparable to dynamesh, or at least something where you sculpt with dynamics but it sounds like its actually just the fact that you can sculpt on a regular mesh without having to add a sculpt tag. (which is awesome and something I've wanted but the wording is confusing)

Old 07 July 2013   #38

no lights. HDRI with NEW IR+LM+RM and the new cached AO render time about 5 mins. 10 million polys and a few thousend objects.

Last edited by theglenster : 07 July 2013 at 02:44 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #39

here is the attick scene in a bigger resolution...

Last edited by theglenster : 07 July 2013 at 02:49 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #40
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: I'd say read carefully and perhaps be a little more concerned with details instead of condescending Srek for pointing out the clarity of his original post. He specified deformers. Didn't say much of the app was now multi threaded, or several areas, he said explicitly deformers.

I was simply asking a question that was not answered, I meant no disrespect. It is a great shame that the morph tag was not multithreaded as well as it is a very flexible tool, but unfortunately it grinds cinema to a halt. On a positive note the bevel and slide tools look superb.

Old 07 July 2013   #41
The line sculpt tool appears to be very interesting - as well as the ability to sculpt on any object without a tag.

Since a tag is not required for sculpting:

Is it possible to drop an image with alpha onto an object and apply a zero depth such that the image with alpha transfers to the object as topology so that now the object's topology reflects change due to image alpha contents?

Example:

Plane object with quads
Image Alpha - white with "cross" in black

Is it possible now to transfer the "cross" from the image alpha to the plane object such that the plane object does not contain any height changes but does pickup the "cross" shape as part of its topology?

Old 07 July 2013   #42
Originally Posted by theglenster:

no lights. HDRI with NEW IR+LM+RM and the new cached AO render time about 5 mins. 10 million polys and a few thousend objects.

Very nice, can you show the screen shot of the UI for this setting - how did you accomplish the boolean of the tires is this through a render boolean plugin?

Old 07 July 2013   #43
Originally Posted by mazab: No and no unfortunately. OGL display has been improved though.

:( thanks
That's a pity.
It's certainly a nice release, the bevel and slide tools look awesome and better rendering is always great but besides that... it's a bit disappointing. At least for me.
I guess there is lot's of cool stuff for many people, but I was hoping for a viewport performance boost in general, like I said, especially with large scenes with tons of objects that can't be merged to fewer objects.

Old 07 July 2013   #44
Some interior renders i did, all with QMC/IC + Light Mapping. First one is a famous premade scene, the others are by me.

(drag&drop them to a new browser tab/window to see them at full size)

Old 07 July 2013   #45
Originally Posted by Srek: We will try
R15 Videos should become available on Youtube very soon.

Siggraph is already announcing well ahead of release, which will be sometime in september or so. I doubt it will be possible to release anything earlier than this.
Cheers
Björn

Thanks Srek - This will be fine - Is there any information for release of the R15 demo?

Thread Closed share thread