CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
dennishmiller
Expert

Render to PV 10x longer than View port

I've got a scene that takes about a minute to render in the viewport. But when I run the same scene in the Picture Viewer, it takes over 10 minutes. The Render settings include Geometry, no Alpha channel, 8-bit dithering, - pretty basic stuff (800 x 600). The scene uses a plug-in (Viral Generator) but at least you can see the Render settings here. In general, what would account for a 10x slowdown factor between the viewport render and a final render?
Also, is the "Hardware" option for Renderer supposed to render the viewport view by default? Is it worth trying any of the other Rendered options?
Thanks for any assistance.
Dennis

Last edited by dennishmiller : 07-18-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

One thing to check---make sure you have your level of detail in the editor menu set to "Use render LOD for Editor Rendering and make sure LOD is set to high. Also if you are using any thing in your scene that requires a runup i the timeline from 0 to the current frame, then that can slow things down depending on what you are doing (particles, cached SSS, dynamics, etc)

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
dennishmiller
Expert

Thanks Joel. But wouldn't the first two suggestions just make the viewport render longer? I guess that would then be closer to the render time for the PV. Was that the goal? (Woudn't shorten the final render time, would it??)
And the run -up also makes sense, though not a factor here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
One thing to check---make sure you have your level of detail in the editor menu set to "Use render LOD for Editor Rendering and make sure LOD is set to high. Also if you are using any thing in your scene that requires a runup i the timeline from 0 to the current frame, then that can slow things down depending on what you are doing (particles, cached SSS, dynamics, etc)

Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Yes sorry---I was trying to point out that your fast render time in the editor viewport may actually be just a big fat lie

The goal then would be to find ways to optimize your render times. (Cant look at the file now---got c4d cranking away on a project).

If you are using viral generator, maybe check if there is a render instances option (its basically a fancy mograph-like cloner, right?) And check how heavy the base "viral" objects you are duplicating are. If there are lots of clones and also heavy geometry that will take time to generate per frame. If AO is on, or SSS or area lights, then that could be adding more time too as there are more nooks and crannies to calculate AO and shadows in.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
expo1000
simmi
portfolio
Simon Haecker
3D Kram
ART+COM AG
Berlin, Germany

Hi,
do you have complex expresso-setups? because they are computed from the beginning if you render in the picture viewer.
s

Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

I dont have the plugin so cant give a direct answer but something that can help narrow it down: does the rendering process itself take much longer, or does it spend a long time doing nothing before it starts the rendering? ie. where does the render time come from, before or after the pixels start getting generated.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
dennishmiller
Expert

Hey Joel - rendering instances and also changing the subdivision render form 3 to 2 (which I think I can live with) made a huge difference. Thanks for following through on this.
d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
Yes sorry---I was trying to point out that your fast render time in the editor viewport may actually be just a big fat lie

The goal then would be to find ways to optimize your render times. (Cant look at the file now---got c4d cranking away on a project).

If you are using viral generator, maybe check if there is a render instances option (its basically a fancy mograph-like cloner, right?) And check how heavy the base "viral" objects you are duplicating are. If there are lots of clones and also heavy geometry that will take time to generate per frame. If AO is on, or SSS or area lights, then that could be adding more time too as there are more nooks and crannies to calculate AO and shadows in.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
dennishmiller
Expert

Well it does take a while before it starts to generate any image.. about half of the time that it finally takes to complete the image. BUt I cut down the subdivision render value and enabled render instances and that seem make a huge difference. Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
I dont have the plugin so cant give a direct answer but something that can help narrow it down: does the rendering process itself take much longer, or does it spend a long time doing nothing before it starts the rendering? ie. where does the render time come from, before or after the pixels start getting generated.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
dennishmiller
Expert

render to PV 10x longer than View port

No, no expresso here, just a bunch of splines..

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo1000
Hi,
do you have complex expresso-setups? because they are computed from the beginning if you render in the picture viewer.
s

Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread