OT: SculptGL--free web browser sculpting app

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
OT: SculptGL--free web browser sculpting app

A friend just passed this link onto me and thought I'd share..

Its not going to compete with Zbrush, other than being free (or C4D sculpting) but this online app is pretty cool. Kind of neat that it works so well realtime in the browser.

No normal maps and results are triangulated, but the geometry does come through pretty clean.

http://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/

(note--doesnt seem to work in safari--try another browser)

Playtime:

Last edited by JoelDubin : 07 July 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
If you like the way it adds detail automatically ('dynamic tessellation') you should check out Sculptris too, also free but probably a bit more powerful. It's pretty cool though indeed to have this right in a browser.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Very nice indeed. Great find and thanks for sharing this!

odo

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Horganovski: If you like the way it adds detail automatically ('dynamic tessellation') you should check out Sculptris too, also free but probably a bit more powerful. It's pretty cool though indeed to have this right in a browser.

Cheers,
Brian

Yes-Brian--I have sculptris too---but havent picked it up for awhile.
I suppose I'm just easily distracted by shiny new things

In the end its probably not going to be too useful to most, and I almost wrote it off myself----but I did find the quality of the app--especially for a web based app---to be surprisingly good.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
I had a play around with this too. Might be fun for a bit or experimentation when I'm not on a workstation.

But this is why you should learn ZBrush, if you're intrigued by such things. This sort of shape can be realized in minutes. Free flowing organic shapes, as crazy high geometry as you like and then re-mesh for perfect topology and manageable sizes. Honestly pick up it and if you have any questions at all, I'll gladly talk you through them on skype.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I had a play around with this too. Might be fun for a bit or experimentation when I'm not on a workstation.

But this is why you should learn ZBrush, if you're intrigued by such things. This sort of shape can be realized in minutes. Free flowing organic shapes, as crazy high geometry as you like and then re-mesh for perfect topology and manageable sizes. Honestly pick up it and if you have any questions at all, I'll gladly talk you through them on skype.

Thanks for the offer Stuart--zbrush is on my list---just so many great tools to buy these days, and then theres the bottleneck of learning them all. I'll get around to picking it up before the summers over I'm sure. I think it was you who convinced me to grab Enhance4D a few years back--and you were right about that one too.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread