Pacific Rim + C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Pacific Rim + C4D

Pacific Rim End Titles and Main Titles

Just wanted to post these now that the movie is out - all the 3D (including Stereo 3D) was done in Cinema, comped in After Effects. Hit me up if you've got any questions.

And go see Pacific Rim this weekend - it was made to be seen on the biggest, loudest screen you can find with as many friends as possible!

07 July 2013
Lovely work, as always. Did you do the robot modeling in Cinema, too? Which render engine did you use?

07 July 2013
Not bad, reminds of the Avengers Ending though..

07 July 2013
Love it!

Several questions pertaining to the end titles

1) What render engine? Doesn't feel like physical but I'm hopefully wrong
2) How did you handle DOF? Baked in or post?
3) The reddish volumetric coming out of the robot's elbow at about 1:02. Cinema or post?
4) The camera movement feels like the motion cameras, especially at the end. True or are they riding splines or hand animated?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Last edited by Troyan : 07 July 2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: clarification

07 July 2013
Gonna have to wait till I see it in the theaters this weekend---but Im sure the titles look great--Imaginary Forces always delivers. Congrats on getting to work on this Will. Im sure it was a blast.

07 July 2013
Thanks for taking a look, guys! Answers are below.

- Robot models were a combination of pre-vis and final render models from ILM; we were a bit excited when those showed up.

- We used a combination of Physical and Standard Renderer at the start - but as we got more confident with our ability to control render times with the Physical Renderer, we went with it more often.

- DOF (and motion blur) was achieved entirely in post.

- The Elbow Punch glow was also handled in post.

- Camera movement was a combo of hand-animated, Camera Morph, and Motion Camera. Most of my shots were done with Camera Morph - which was probably the most fun of the entire project. We each gave ourselves 2-3 days to generate playblasts of as many camera moves and compositions to use as coverage, and then dove into edit to "find" the shot timing and sequencing.

One goofy technique we explored using was to generate a quick animation with Camera Morph by placing cameras at the beginning, middle, and end of the move; then we generated a spline off it using a Tracer Object to feed back into a Motion Camera Tag. When we were playing around with a more handheld feel that was the fastest way to get the general composition correct but add some more organic movement. There's almost definitely a more elegant way to achieve this.

07 July 2013
Spot on Uglykids - we referenced the Avengers titles as well as the excellent Silent Hill Revelation work done by Chez Eddy quite a bit while we were designing. When we pitched Guillermo our concepts, we had to keep in mind how small our team and schedule was going to have to be. Knowing what assets we could get our hands on pointed directly to a "frozen moment" look as one of our possible solutions.

We actually got lucky that he went with the one set of styleframes that came almost directly out of C4D. We were able to get up and running almost immediately. Some of the other solutions were heavily illustration or simulation based. I designed one that was leaned almost entirely on Trapcode Form - I shudder to think how difficult setting that one up for stereo might have been

I personally am a huge fan of that Silent Hill piece - I still love the lighting in that one.

Btw, we can't wait for the Krakatoa support for C4D, especially the XP2 support. Thanks in advance for all the hard work.

Last edited by WillRyan : 07 July 2013 at 10:46 PM.

07 July 2013
thats pretty neat!

What were the render times like when using Physical Render? Was there any setting that you realized you didn't need to speed things up?

07 July 2013
Render times were a major concern for us - we only had a few weeks to complete the whole thing, and we had to push out a stereo version as well, which we hadn't done prior. We made a rule internally that if any frame took more than five minutes, we would go back and find more in our optimizations. Or find a way to cheat it in compositing.

Almost everything was lit with reflections, bounce cards, and a handful of omni lights. No GI, no ambient occlusion, no special shaders.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by WillRyan: One goofy technique we explored using was to generate a quick animation with Camera Morph by placing cameras at the beginning, middle, and end of the move; then we generated a spline off it using a Tracer Object to feed back into a Motion Camera Tag. When we were playing around with a more handheld feel that was the fastest way to get the general composition correct but add some more organic movement. There's almost definitely a more elegant way to achieve this.

Not goofy at all--thats how I work all the time--just did a shot that way today. (I could very well be goofy and not know it). Generate a path via tracer, animate a camera along it, then I use THAt camera as the parent for the motion cam to get the shake and bounce.

One thing I dont like about the motion cam, as compared to CS cams and Lennart's Steady cam is the controls over camera shake are not so good. Steadycam (which is free now) is probably still the best.

Nice to hear anyway that its partly trial and error and theres not some secret special studio workflow.

07 July 2013
Did ILM give you the same meshes to use that are in the film?
If so. Can you say how big (how many polygons) the robot meshes from ILM were?
Were they really massive in polygon count?

I made a MechaGodzilla years ago. Which is still in my gallery. But I usually have to shy away from making things like that because all of those pieces, with beveled corners, tends to quickly become too much for my computer to handle.

-ScottA

07 July 2013
Odd to think that with such a big production, you'd be forced into a position to do this in 2 weeks with 5 minute per frame renders. It shows in the end titles too, though the intro is flawless.

The fluidity of the end titles is great, it's professionally handled and reflects well on your studio with its huge portfolio. But the final renders and the simple black reflective material somehow cheapen the overall look for me. Not trying to be disrespectful, I'm certain without time restraints you'd have taken it to another level. It's always a shame when you're not afforded the opportunity to do that.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: Not goofy at all--thats how I work all the time--just did a shot that way today. (I could very well be goofy and not know it). Generate a path via tracer, animate a camera along it, then I use THAt camera as the parent for the motion cam to get the shake and bounce.

One thing I dont like about the motion cam, as compared to CS cams and Lennart's Steady cam is the controls over camera shake are not so good. Steadycam (which is free now) is probably still the best.

Nice to hear anyway that its partly trial and error and theres not some secret special studio workflow.

Not to sure why you would need the tracer at all, you can use the morph camera directly...but you have to set the priority on the tag so that camera morph execute before the motion camera.
By default camera morph is 110 and motion camera is 100.
https://copy.com/nsjLWRImF3si (file)

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by WillRyan: Render times were a major concern for us - we only had a few weeks to complete the whole thing, and we had to push out a stereo version as well, which we hadn't done prior. We made a rule internally that if any frame took more than five minutes, we would go back and find more in our optimizations. Or find a way to cheat it in compositing.

Almost everything was lit with reflections, bounce cards, and a handful of omni lights. No GI, no ambient occlusion, no special shaders.

nice work and i love to see when pro's talk about the features - or more specifically the lack of features used in their projects - yet turn out awesome work...

that is the #1 thing i encounter with having a render farm and try to educate with users - too often many newer users think to make it look "real" or "awesome" that means turning on every render feature which just gets them into a all too typical mire of GI samples and they spend the rest of their deadline fighting flicker... it's often a death spiral

i always suggest a book or class on photography lighting and using bounce cards and similar lighting - the goal it is to make it look real, that does not mean it has to be "real" - i think both the main and end titles look great.

was nice to see hal hickel in the credits too!

dann
-

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by chi: Not to sure why you would need the tracer at all, you can use the morph camera directly...but you have to set the priority on the tag so that camera morph execute before the motion camera.
By default camera morph is 110 and motion camera is 100.
https://copy.com/nsjLWRImF3si (file)

Thanks Patrick. To be honest I havent touched the morph cam. I'll give it a look.

Thread Closed share thread