Spline sweep help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Spline sweep help

I have been given a logo which needs to be a 3d shape but im having some problems with it and i would like your help. Its a shape thats been drawn in illustrator so i have the path to work with in cinema. The shape is a bit like this at the bottom left
http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/store/light-kit-pro/
but its a single path that joins it self to be one shape. The problem is that as the path flows around the spline it get thicker and thinner in about 3 or 4 different places. I can use the scale in the sweep but its not a good way of doing it as its too small an area to work with. The illustrator file did come with 2 paths that show the thickness of the spline getting thicker and thinner. Is there any way to do this matching the exact shape?

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Hey ritchie - two solutions that might work.

1) Use a rail spline - usually a duplicated version of the original path, reshaped
2) Bust out the spline scale into its own window (open the scale graph, and click 'show in separate window') - you get a lot more control of the spline width this way.

File here showing those two methods.

Cheers - C

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Just a guess, maybe extrude the illustrator splines as hierarchal, or connect and delete
the set that defines an area. Without a file or screen shot .... ?

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread