CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
View Poll Results: Which do you use C4D on the most?
Mac 122 46.04%
Windows 143 53.96%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #61
ThePriest
Bad Ass
 
ThePriest's Avatar
portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco
Obviously this is a renderbeast, but how does it handle any single threaded stuff? I used to have a dual 5650 setup at work and it was a joy for rendering but it's 2.8 core clock made it bottleneck like crazy! This is what's holding me off going back to a dual setup, that and the stonking outlay - I went for Titans instead

OT/

cheers
brasc


It's a 3.1ghz processor (w/3.8ghz turbo boost), it's going to be slower than an OC'ed I7 core for core, but I haven't felt it. The turbo boost actually reaches about 3.94ghz according to 'CoreTemp'.

..

Nice result Adam. Works great for practically anything that would otherwise create unwanted triangles. I'm working on a beaten metal logo with retopo and normal maps, the results are insanely easy to create.

If you select the retopology guide brush and then select stroke/curve functions/frame mesh. This can give you even cleaner results if you have polygroups.

Another tip (though we've gone wildly off topic). If you're working with panel-loops or polygroups. If you select a single group, add/subtract an 'insertmesh', you can dynamesh that single polygroup again by releasing the dynamesh icon button and pressing it again. The ctrl drag won't work, but this does. It prevents you from having to commit the whole object to a dynamesh.

Couple more quick tests;





__________________
۩PRIST


Last edited by ThePriest : 07-03-2013 at 05:36 PM.
 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #62
AdamT
oh ... what?
 
AdamT's Avatar
Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco
Oh awesome, that is insanely good! Is that with any guides Adam?


No, that's literally just taking a dynamesh and pushing the remesh button with default settings. First time I ever tried it.
 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #63
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,586
Who would have thought a mac vs pc thread would be so chock full of info. Mega PC specs, GI optimization tutes, a c4d celebrity guru joke or 2 and now Im hovering over the pixologic buy now button. And what? no flame war?
__________________
_____________________________

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance
 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #64
AdamT
oh ... what?
 
AdamT's Avatar
Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
It's a 3.1ghz processor (w/3.8ghz turbo boost), it's going to be slower than an OC'ed I7 core for core, but I haven't felt it. The turbo boost actually reaches about 3.94ghz according to 'CoreTemp'.

..

Nice result Adam. Works great for practically anything that would otherwise create unwanted triangles. I'm working on a beaten metal logo with retopo and normal maps, the results are insanely easy to create.

If you select the retopology guide brush and then select stroke/curve functions/frame mesh. This can give you even cleaner results if you have polygroups.

Another tip (though we've gone wildly off topic). If you're working with panel-loops or polygroups. If you select a single group, add/subtract an 'insertmesh', you can dynamesh that single polygroup again by releasing the dynamesh icon button and pressing it again. The ctrl drag won't work, but this does. It prevents you from having to commit the whole object to a dynamesh.


Great! I'll give that dynamesh tip a try.

How'd you build that tree, btw? ZSpheres?
 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #65
fluffouille
Booh
 
fluffouille's Avatar
Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
and now Im hovering over the pixologic buy now button

If you do buy it, you won't regret it. It's insane value too, since so far it seems to be a one-time purchase and years of free awesome updates.

@Priest: that's a very cool way to make good tree topology quickly!
__________________
One on one Online Instructor for Cinema4D | Visit www.Fluffy4D.com for more info.
 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
ThePriest
Bad Ass
 
ThePriest's Avatar
portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,572
Snake hook brush and dynamesh for the tree.
Joel, don't you do tons of medical work? I'm surprised you haven't mastered zbrush already.
__________________
۩PRIST

 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #67
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
Snake hook brush and dynamesh for the tree.
Joel, don't you do tons of medical work? I'm surprised you haven't mastered zbrush already.


Me too
Its been on my list for about 10 years now.

Just too many tools to keep track of.
I tend to be slow to adapt.
__________________
_____________________________

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance
 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #68
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,586
@fluffy Yes was just looking at price--quite inexpensive for all it offers and Pixologic's upgrade policy is a generous one indeed.

Maybe I just need to take a good month off in an isolated shack away from my family and learn that VRAY, real flow, and while I'm at it, C4D. (seems like there's still so much to learn in there despite the many years of use.)
__________________
_____________________________

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance
 
Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #69
vid2k2
Expert
 
vid2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,661
LOL, so much for the poll ...
Been wanting to get into ZB myself ... a workflow tut would be nice
__________________
David

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .
 
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #70
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic
 
Troyan's Avatar
portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,432
Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
Who would have thought a mac vs pc thread would be so chock full of info. Mega PC specs, GI optimization tutes, a c4d celebrity guru joke or 2 and now Im hovering over the pixologic buy now button. And what? no flame war?


Just buy it. The interface will make your brain hurt, but once you get it it's awesome. Plus they haven't asked for a single dime more since R1. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining
__________________
2014 Reel
Company website
Behance Portfolio
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own
 
Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #71
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic
 
Troyan's Avatar
portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,432
Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
@fluffy Yes was just looking at price--quite inexpensive for all it offers and Pixologic's upgrade policy is a generous one indeed.

Maybe I just need to take a good month off in an isolated shack away from my family and learn that VRAY, real flow, and while I'm at it, C4D. (seems like there's still so much to learn in there despite the many years of use.)


Do it. I took last week off just for R&D and had more fun than I've had in years. I learned Mocha planar tracking, using openEXR, using expressions in AE to control 3D elements, Camera mapping, morph cameras, Element 3D and the new topology in Zbrush. If you have a 3D scene in AE, the built in DOF is pretty damn good. You can do some crazy comping in Ae using a position pass map that I had no idea was possible.
__________________
2014 Reel
Company website
Behance Portfolio
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own
 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #72
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyan
Do it. I took last week off just for R&D and had more fun than I've had in years. I learned Mocha planar tracking, using openEXR, using expressions in AE to control 3D elements, Camera mapping, morph cameras, Element 3D and the new topology in Zbrush. If you have a 3D scene in AE, the built in DOF is pretty damn good. You can do some crazy comping in Ae using a position pass map that I had no idea was possible.


Oh if it were only that easy!
Maybe once human cloning has been worked out.

Good for you though Troyan.
I've been quite interested in getting that workflow going myself.

Its great that you continue to learn--as I always try to do.
I do have some free time coming up and once the essential stuff (like getting a reel together thats less than 5 years old), I will dig into some of these things.

Now...what were we talking about?
__________________
_____________________________

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance
 
Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #73
ThePriest
Bad Ass
 
ThePriest's Avatar
portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,572
This setup took maybe 10 minutes to make in ZB, a few more to export normal|displacement|ao|cavity maps and then the worn texture maps were created automatically in dDO. Unfortunately dDO is yet another creative tool that's not available for Mac.

That would pain me as an artist, to be denied access to certain software, because developers didn't think to release for both PC and Mac. Another factor in the decision to stay on this side of the fence.

1.5 million down to 8k with DP maps.

__________________
۩PRIST

 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #74
Continuumx
i n f i n i t e
 
Continuumx's Avatar
portfolio
Tyrone Marshall
Architecture
Atlanta, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT
... and derived from this C4D file:



I like this, reminds of what you can do with Groboto and booleans but with Zbrush and C4D; my favorites.

Explain how you did this - It appears you took a scene from C4D into Zbrush for booleans. More please!
__________________
digitecture.org
Design|Energy|Computation


 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #75
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress
 
LukeLetellier's Avatar
portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
Maybe I just need to take a good month off in an isolated shack away from my family and learn that VRAY, real flow, and while I'm at it, C4D. (seems like there's still so much to learn in there despite the many years of use.)

Oh gosh, no kidding. I started to get hands on in 3D just over a year ago, and the learning curve has just been ridiculously steep.... and unending at that.

I've actually been getting paid to do it for the last six months, which has meant that each project is essentially a paid R&D session. Great for learning, not so great on the nerves. There's always a big deadline, and a new part of the program that I haven't learned stands my way of completing it.

Makes for some very urgent Google searches.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.