CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
View Poll Results: Which do you use C4D on the most?
Mac 122 46.04%
Windows 143 53.96%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #61
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco
Obviously this is a renderbeast, but how does it handle any single threaded stuff? I used to have a dual 5650 setup at work and it was a joy for rendering but it's 2.8 core clock made it bottleneck like crazy! This is what's holding me off going back to a dual setup, that and the stonking outlay - I went for Titans instead

OT/

cheers
brasc

It's a 3.1ghz processor (w/3.8ghz turbo boost), it's going to be slower than an OC'ed I7 core for core, but I haven't felt it. The turbo boost actually reaches about 3.94ghz according to 'CoreTemp'.

Nice result Adam. Works great for practically anything that would otherwise create unwanted triangles. I'm working on a beaten metal logo with retopo and normal maps, the results are insanely easy to create.

If you select the retopology guide brush and then select stroke/curve functions/frame mesh. This can give you even cleaner results if you have polygroups.

Another tip (though we've gone wildly off topic). If you're working with panel-loops or polygroups. If you select a single group, add/subtract an 'insertmesh', you can dynamesh that single polygroup again by releasing the dynamesh icon button and pressing it again. The ctrl drag won't work, but this does. It prevents you from having to commit the whole object to a dynamesh.

Couple more quick tests;

Last edited by ThePriest : 07-03-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #62
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco
Oh awesome, that is insanely good! Is that with any guides Adam?

No, that's literally just taking a dynamesh and pushing the remesh button with default settings. First time I ever tried it.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #63
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Who would have thought a mac vs pc thread would be so chock full of info. Mega PC specs, GI optimization tutes, a c4d celebrity guru joke or 2 and now Im hovering over the pixologic buy now button. And what? no flame war?

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #64
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
It's a 3.1ghz processor (w/3.8ghz turbo boost), it's going to be slower than an OC'ed I7 core for core, but I haven't felt it. The turbo boost actually reaches about 3.94ghz according to 'CoreTemp'.

Nice result Adam. Works great for practically anything that would otherwise create unwanted triangles. I'm working on a beaten metal logo with retopo and normal maps, the results are insanely easy to create.

If you select the retopology guide brush and then select stroke/curve functions/frame mesh. This can give you even cleaner results if you have polygroups.

Another tip (though we've gone wildly off topic). If you're working with panel-loops or polygroups. If you select a single group, add/subtract an 'insertmesh', you can dynamesh that single polygroup again by releasing the dynamesh icon button and pressing it again. The ctrl drag won't work, but this does. It prevents you from having to commit the whole object to a dynamesh.

Great! I'll give that dynamesh tip a try.

How'd you build that tree, btw? ZSpheres?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #65
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
and now Im hovering over the pixologic buy now button

If you do buy it, you won't regret it. It's insane value too, since so far it seems to be a one-time purchase and years of free awesome updates.

@Priest: that's a very cool way to make good tree topology quickly!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Snake hook brush and dynamesh for the tree.
Joel, don't you do tons of medical work? I'm surprised you haven't mastered zbrush already.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #67
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
Snake hook brush and dynamesh for the tree.
Joel, don't you do tons of medical work? I'm surprised you haven't mastered zbrush already.

Me too
Its been on my list for about 10 years now.

Just too many tools to keep track of.
I tend to be slow to adapt.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #68
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

@fluffy Yes was just looking at price--quite inexpensive for all it offers and Pixologic's upgrade policy is a generous one indeed.

Maybe I just need to take a good month off in an isolated shack away from my family and learn that VRAY, real flow, and while I'm at it, C4D. (seems like there's still so much to learn in there despite the many years of use.)

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #69
vid2k2
Expert

LOL, so much for the poll ...
Been wanting to get into ZB myself ... a workflow tut would be nice

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #70
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Quote:
Who would have thought a mac vs pc thread would be so chock full of info. Mega PC specs, GI optimization tutes, a c4d celebrity guru joke or 2 and now Im hovering over the pixologic buy now button. And what? no flame war?

Just buy it. The interface will make your brain hurt, but once you get it it's awesome. Plus they haven't asked for a single dime more since R1. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #71
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Quote:
@fluffy Yes was just looking at price--quite inexpensive for all it offers and Pixologic's upgrade policy is a generous one indeed.

Maybe I just need to take a good month off in an isolated shack away from my family and learn that VRAY, real flow, and while I'm at it, C4D. (seems like there's still so much to learn in there despite the many years of use.)

Do it. I took last week off just for R&D and had more fun than I've had in years. I learned Mocha planar tracking, using openEXR, using expressions in AE to control 3D elements, Camera mapping, morph cameras, Element 3D and the new topology in Zbrush. If you have a 3D scene in AE, the built in DOF is pretty damn good. You can do some crazy comping in Ae using a position pass map that I had no idea was possible.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #72
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyan
Do it. I took last week off just for R&D and had more fun than I've had in years. I learned Mocha planar tracking, using openEXR, using expressions in AE to control 3D elements, Camera mapping, morph cameras, Element 3D and the new topology in Zbrush. If you have a 3D scene in AE, the built in DOF is pretty damn good. You can do some crazy comping in Ae using a position pass map that I had no idea was possible.

Oh if it were only that easy!
Maybe once human cloning has been worked out.

Good for you though Troyan.
I've been quite interested in getting that workflow going myself.

Its great that you continue to learn--as I always try to do.
I do have some free time coming up and once the essential stuff (like getting a reel together thats less than 5 years old), I will dig into some of these things.

Now...what were we talking about?

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #73
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

This setup took maybe 10 minutes to make in ZB, a few more to export normal|displacement|ao|cavity maps and then the worn texture maps were created automatically in dDO. Unfortunately dDO is yet another creative tool that's not available for Mac.

That would pain me as an artist, to be denied access to certain software, because developers didn't think to release for both PC and Mac. Another factor in the decision to stay on this side of the fence.

1.5 million down to 8k with DP maps.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #74
Continuumx
i n f i n i t e

portfolio
Tyrone Marshall
Architecture
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT
... and derived from this C4D file:

I like this, reminds of what you can do with Groboto and booleans but with Zbrush and C4D; my favorites.

Explain how you did this - It appears you took a scene from C4D into Zbrush for booleans. More please!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #75
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Quote:

Oh gosh, no kidding. I started to get hands on in 3D just over a year ago, and the learning curve has just been ridiculously steep.... and unending at that.

I've actually been getting paid to do it for the last six months, which has meant that each project is essentially a paid R&D session. Great for learning, not so great on the nerves. There's always a big deadline, and a new part of the program that I haven't learned stands my way of completing it.

Makes for some very urgent Google searches.

Thread Closed share thread