Vote: Mac / Windows

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which do you use C4D on the most?
Mac 122 46.04%
Windows 143 53.96%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Imashination did make it clear that he wasn't after any slagging off of different platforms so please, pretty please, with sugar on top, keep your opinion to yourself.

Originally Posted by fireball101: Windows!
The new MacPro completed the end of Apple in the highend segment of computers.

07 July 2013
Mac currently, but may be switching to Windows within the year. Will be at least building a rig to run Octane. Gonna hurt because I've been on a Mac since 1988.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

07 July 2013
Currently OSX, but will be switching to Windows within the next 12 months, as I'd like to build a few render nodes for eventual distributed rendering with vray. As I have no interest whatsoever in making hackintosh nodes, and would really not like to pay premium for OSX nodes, Windows it is.

07 July 2013
I think another poll like this in a year will be very interesting.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Troyan: I think another poll like this in a year will be very interesting.

Yes!...they will change their opinion...Windows, this is it!

07 July 2013
the original poll should've had an option for "Both" as well.

07 July 2013
Windows on Mac Pro.

07 July 2013
windows. i refuse to use macs.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by ilay: Windows.
// Does it to be strange-silly(like adobe cineware) teasing of step to another platform?....
or Reminds me, Kai's slogan: "Linux!^3" from AoB-RCS shader's thread....//

Considering Maxon had a linux version and did nothing with it, and that I'm no longer a beta tester and have no clue on their developments whatsoever, I'd take it more a s a joke on how pathetic that thread had gotten with mac users begging nonstop.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by chi: I can easily say that 95% of the presenters that we get in for Siggraph and NAB are OSX..

If Maxon is choosing to show off it's latest software on a system that's 4 years old and never performed well in openGL, that would be a huge mistake in my view. But I wouldn't use my 4 year old PC workstation to showcase C4D either.

Maxon doesn't appear to be trying to lure in new customers for its ability to work with high poly environment design, not nearly as much as they're trying to appeal to the 2D artist who'd like to dabble in a bit of 3D. That AE guy who wants to spin a logo and make some fancy disco balls in a cloner object. This is why they have the Maxon/Adobe bridge and why the trade show slots are filled with motion graphics presenters who still sing the tune of the once mighty MacPro.

If they gave me a presentation slot, I'd gladly show users how C4D can work smoothly with a 40-60 million poly scene. On a modern day 16 core PC, with enough memory and a beefy GPU . As it happens I'm with the Zbrush team this year, Pixologic has stolen my heart and C4D has become but a humble little place where my creative ideas come to rest.

Maxon's exclusive love for motion graphics hasn't let them down as a company yet, just as MacPro users haven't quite fallen so far behind that they can't create inspirational works, creativity counts for something here. But both would be rewarded if they showed off their creative skills at Siggraph on PC's. Because that extra productivity can only serve to up the 'wow' factor for those new to a Maxon booth.

Just my two cents.

Originally Posted by JoelOtron: A large portion of the c4d user base consists of broadcast motion graphics freelancers*, and from my understanding that is mostly a mac based crowd...unless this has changed.

I had a MacPro when MacPro's were faster than PC's and then I had a PC when I realized it was cheaper and equally efficient. If there comes a day when Mac's have 80 cores and PC's have 20. I'd chose that road again. Rendering power and the speed in which you can work is everything. I'm fluid on both operating systems, but one hinders me in 3D far more than the other.

Last edited by ThePriest : 07 July 2013 at 07:25 AM.

07 July 2013
Sigh. This topic goes downhill so quickly. Can't we just all stick with voting?

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by ThePriest: If Maxon is choosing to show off it's latest software on a system that's 4 years old and never performed well in openGL, that would be a huge mistake in my view. But I wouldn't use my 4 year old PC workstation to showcase C4D either.

Maxon doesn't appear to be trying to lure in new customers for its ability to work with high poly environment design, not nearly as much as they're trying to appeal to the 2D artist who'd like to dabble in a bit of 3D. That AE guy who wants to spin a logo and make some fancy disco balls in a cloner object. This is why they have the Maxon/Adobe bridge and why the trade show slots are filled with motion graphics presenters who still sing the tune of the once mighty MacPro.

If they gave me a presentation slot, I'd gladly show users how C4D can work smoothly with a 40-60 million poly scene. On a modern day 16 core PC, with enough memory and a beefy GPU . As it happens I'm with the Zbrush team this year, Pixologic has stolen my heart and C4D has become but a humble little place where my creative ideas come to rest.

Maxon's exclusive love for motion graphics hasn't let them down as a company yet, just as MacPro users haven't quite fallen so far behind that they can't create inspirational works, creativity counts for something here. But both would be rewarded if they showed off their creative skills at Siggraph on PC's. Because that extra productivity can only serve to up the 'wow' factor for those new to a Maxon booth.

Just my two cents.

I had a MacPro when MacPro's were faster than PC's and then I had a PC when I realized it was cheaper and equally efficient. If there comes a day when Mac's have 80 cores and PC's have 20. I'd chose that road again. Rendering power and the speed in which you can work is everything. I'm fluid on both operating systems, but one hinders me in 3D far more than the other.

The presentation system has nothing to do with "MAXON's" choice...or their stance in the market.
It has more to do with every time an artist is asked "what do you work with" they respond "OSX"
In fact the worst experience we ever had was dual booting into windows for the Aixsponza guys (Sorry again ).
Also Tim had some really laggy scenes, but I think that is when we still had the iMac.
Fact is, for people viewing our demos, they are never going to notice the difference between the computers...although his scene also would have brought a PC down too.
Also, no clue how my simple statement to the OS of preference for 95% of the people we bring in for shows has turned into "This is how MAXON thinks and its wrong".
It's not like we sit down and think who has a mac.

Anyway happy to hear you found something that suites your needs better
Don't forget to stop by the booth and at least pick up a free shirt...you won't even have to look at the Mac...as we hide it away in the box.

07 July 2013
I am on a mac here.

07 July 2013
Agreed mustardseed ... It's a shame that there's always the inevitable rant attached to macs
vs pc's ... and that's decades old now.

We all work with what we are blessed with and use what tools we have on hand. It's been
a slam dunk, so to speak, that pc's are vastly more adept at processing 3d than macs. Even
I've known that for years. It's a matter of choice and finances. As for me, I voted mac ...
because it's my preference.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Thread Closed share thread