Bizarre grain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by littledevil: Material.Illumination.GiAreaLight - enabling this option will cause your material to cast shadows like an area light. large objects will have very soft shadows and will therefore need a very high subdiv to be rendered noise free. in c4d r13 and lower there are multiple settings in the material dialog, in r14 the sampling has been unified with the gi-engine (also for the standard renderer). the option is disabled by default.

however it seems to be an exclusive blurriness problem considering your test scene. one reason why i do not like the physical renderer is, that its values are completely meaningless to me. for the standard renderer i know 32 blurriness samples are low 512 are pretty high. 4 could be a large value or a low value, i simply don't know, but if it did help i would try raising it more while lowering the AA.

Interesting. However putting an HDR into the luminance channel pretty much does that, so, no I didn't do that.

Yes on the blurriness samples, but again, even on the flat surfaces, there isn't an even layer of grain. Parts of it are nice and smooth. Doesn't make sense.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by imashination: Next, open your hdri in photoshop and blur the living crap out of it, and save it as a new version. Instead of using blurred reflections in the render engine (sloooooooooooow) just pre-blur the reflective image and use that as the sky (faaaaaast) Use a second crisp copy of the image as the background in the render.

Second almost all of your post, but wouldn't it be quicker still to load the reflection map into the material's environment channel instead of using it on a sky object for true reflection?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by AdamT: Second almost all of your post, but wouldn't it be quicker still to load the reflection map into the material's environment channel instead of using it on a sky object for true reflection?

would be a ton quicker but it just doesn't look the same. Plus I need the parts to be reflecting each other, so really, it's moot.
HyperactiveVR

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Troyan: would be a ton quicker but it just doesn't look the same. Plus I need the parts to be reflecting each other, so really, it's moot.

Should look the same if you use an HDR and the parts will still reflect each other if you enable reflection as well as the enviro channel.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by AdamT: Should look the same if you use an HDR and the parts will still reflect each other if you enable reflection as well as the enviro channel.

Note: if you're using Fresnel in reflection you should also multiply it over the environment map in a layer shader. Won't look 100% like the original, but pretty darn close.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by AdamT: Should look the same if you use an HDR and the parts will still reflect each other if you enable reflection as well as the enviro channel.

Yeah, but you're not saving any time if you're still using blurry reflections, yes? I'd still want to blur it a little because there's so many surfaces, especially in the gears, having some blurring helps separate reflections from actual geometry.
HyperactiveVR

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by AdamT: Note: if you're using Fresnel in reflection you should also multiply it over the environment map in a layer shader. Won't look 100% like the original, but pretty darn close.

Not using fresnel for this. There's a lot of parts close to each other so I'd like there to be good reflection everywhere like in reality. So to be clear, Fresnel is not causing part of a flat surface to be grainy while the rest of it smooth. The texture is literally the reflection channel onand specular channel set to metal. That's it. No bumps, fresnels, layers, nothing.
HyperactiveVR

06 June 2013

To get back to this, i'll use environment channels if I'm running out of time to render reflections, but I can't explain why, environment channels just don't have that certain quality you get from real reflections. Just like Vray's rendering just has a quality you can't get from Cinema. Unexplainable but it's pleasing to the eye.

Not using Vray for this because I need Motion Blur for the gears and I don't think ReelSmart will do this right.
HyperactiveVR

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Troyan: Not using fresnel for this. There's a lot of parts close to each other so I'd like there to be good reflection everywhere like in reality. So to be clear, Fresnel is not causing part of a flat surface to be grainy while the rest of it smooth. The texture is literally the reflection channel onand specular channel set to metal. That's it. No bumps, fresnels, layers, nothing.

In reality there is always a Fresnel effect unless you're talking about a mirror. Have you tried the physical setting in the Fresnel shader? Much better than the standard gradient. OTOH, sometimes we want something a little more real than real.

07 July 2013
After reading a recent paper that Joel posted on the state of rendering by fxguide, I noticed a section about editing HDRI's when using them for lighting like I am in this scene. They state "...The sun is now painted out of the HDR. Unless the HDR is very carefully captured Ė there will be some clipping on the real sun in the HDR, and some renderers canít handle that amount of dynamic range in an HDRI without creating noise or fireflies (or black dots)."

I think this is what's happening in my scene.
HyperactiveVR

07 July 2013
FYI Heres that article for anyone not already following fxguide---

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-state-of-rendering/

Looking forward to part 2.

07 July 2013
And heres part 2--covers each of the major players in the rendering software biz.
Havent read it yet but it looks jam packed with info

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the...ndering-part-2/

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: Havent read it yet but it looks jam packed with info...

Certainly is ;-)

Quote: Light mapping (also called light caching) is a technique for approximating GI in a scene...and will be in R15 to be announced on July 23rd.

Doh!

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Certainly is ;-)

Doh!

doh indeed

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Doh!

Doh indeed! Someone's in trooouuuble!!

Thread Closed share thread