Ugly faces after Text extrustion (Please Help!!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by serge-m: Hey Paul,

you are a hell of a programmer
What if you write a new plugin for better text extrusion without those circumstances of bad face creations

that's a tough one, I mean how much would people pay for a slightly better extrusion tool? Seems a like a fair bit of a development for a tool that'd likely be free because most wouldn't pay for the small price to get it to make it worth a developers time. Especially when the problem is solvable with a knowledge of how the crappier C4D one works.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by tapaul: >What if you write a new plugin
That's something the host app could just do slightly better. Its hard enough selling plugins that do things that c4d doesn't do. Spending time making something that is slightly better than what the host app does, would be a complete waste of time.

regards
Paul

I see.

Originally Posted by LucentDreams: that's a tough one, I mean how much would people pay for a slightly better extrusion tool? Seems a like a fair bit of a development for a tool that'd likely be free because most wouldn't pay for the small price to get it to make it worth a developers time. Especially when the problem is solvable with a knowledge of how the crappier C4D one works.

Hi,

it wasn't my intention to be disrespectful.
I just know, that Paul is good in innovation for new approaches.
Since years, the text tool could be optimized when it comes to bevel or deformations.
That's why I said this.

06 June 2013
>it wasn't my intention to be disrespectful.
I could not read anything disrespectful in your comments. So no probem there.

I do think that text fill could be done better, but I can't imagine anyone buying that as a product. Its not like "mega particles on crack" where you can see the blingbling. It is more a bread and butter topic, which needs a bit of a nudge and should get some love and attention,imo.

regards
Paul

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by tapaul: >it wasn't my intention to be disrespectful.
I could not read anything disrespectful in your comments. So no probem there.

I do think that text fill could be done better, but I can't imagine anyone buying that as a product. Its not like "mega particles on crack" where you can see the blingbling. It is more a bread and butter topic, which needs a bit of a nudge and should get some love and attention,imo.

regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

this seems to be a good selling add on for text in Cinema:

Text Edge fx

At least it is very attractive

06 June 2013
thats a bunch of presets/xpresso. It doesn't do anything that solves the above issue.

regards
Paul

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by tapaul: thats a bunch of presets/xpresso. It doesn't do anything that solves the above issue.

regards
Paul

I know, but just for the fact, that people like to do more with the "text object".

06 June 2013
Fundamentally, the issue has nothing whatsoever to do with the text tool. The issue is that C4D simply doesn't handle bevels very well, regardless of the object. But to be honest, I'm not even sure how much more they can do. Once you have converted an object to being editable, then all bets are off. There are an unlimited number of ways that the object (whatever it may be) could be tessellated, and if any of those polygons happen to be the wrong size / angle / position - then the bevel is going to be based upon poor data.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by tapaul: It is more a bread and butter topic, which needs a bit of a nudge and should get some love and attention,imo.

regards
Paul

Cinema really needs to have a full release dedicated to bread and butter. Of course, with Cineware just hitting the air, bringing a whole slew of possible customers, Maxon will be going for some serious bling and glitter with R15. ($10 says it comes with a basic fluid/fire simulator).

06 June 2013
I haven't had the time to try it yet, but part of the issue are the font's vertices and how C4D interpolates them/subdivides the splines.
My idea was to use MoSpline on a font outlined in Illustrator, and use its options to at least clean up the base font splines (but now that I think about it, MoText probably has the same options. But still, custom logos and such...)

As far as fillets go, I can't believe it'd be so difficult to work out a more intelligent way to fuse the intersecting polys with min/max fine-tuning tolerances for really tight corners or really thin serifs/scripts like fonts where constraining to the outlines doesn't naturally taper into these tight areas for a really elegant bevel and fillets. Not to mention clean poly faces.

Something C4D has been long overdue for, especially for its heft in the motion graphics field. But in general, this would apply across the board in its modeling toolset.

Now that other, esoteric areas are more well rounded, Maxon really needs to blow the dust off of the basics, bolstering fundamentals of modeling across the board. It was showing its age years ago.

Of this was all they shipped in r15, I'd wouldn't hesitate to upgrade (not that I ever do )

06 June 2013
Man, I hate having to create chiseled/extremely beveled text in C4D. It really feels like this should be the easiest thing to do. I've had to resort to either modeling the letters, as suggested by someone on this forum a while back, or sometimes (when an ugly mesh/hard edges is not an issue) Photoshop to create the 3d text and then export as .obj. Granted the mesh will still look pretty narly, but it's nothing a little retopo can't fix That is, if you want a cleaner mesh and/or smoother edges. It's a little embarrassing that a 2d application can get better results

06 June 2013
Do other 3D apps do a better job? I've never seen one that would produce chiseled text but I certainly haven't seen them all.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread