Rigid Body - Moving Mesh Hovering?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Rigid Body - Moving Mesh Hovering?

Hi all,
I'm having an issue with the rigid body tag and am pleading for help! All I want to accomplish is to have a cube (created out of cloners in a grid array) blow up in mid air and have the pieces, which are just smaller cubes, fall to the floor. I have a rigid body tag on my cube with the Collision set to "Moving Mesh." However, when the pieces fall to the floor, they hover above just slightly. Anyone have an idea why? Been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out...and I don't have a lot to spare. Thank you!!!

Old 06 June 2013   #2
If you're using cubes you can set the shape to automatic, which should fix the problem. But if you want to use moving mesh you just need to adjust the margin setting in the collision tab (check the "Use" box to make it active).

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thanks for taking the time to help out AdamT! The problem is, I want the large cube to break apart in mid-air, but when I use Automatic or check "Use" it always fall to the floor before coming apart. The goal is to reverse this in post and have it all come together.

The workaround I came up with was just to duplicate the floor object, remove the rigid body tag and move it a hair above the one that has the tag.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Good workaround. Another option would be to use a force object with negative strength to break up the cube in the air.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread