After Effects CC and Cineware

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
@Björn: can you confirm that I posted above ?

Thanks

Serge

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by serge-m: @Björn: can you confirm that I posted above ?

Thanks

Serge

Sorry, but i'm not the right person to ask this, my own experience with AE is extremely limited. Please make sure to report problems to Adobe and Maxon support.
Cheers
Björn

06 June 2013
@serge-m Im not sure why, but its just like you're experiencing. Its not possible to transform Cineware layers in AE without precomposing them or using the transform effect.

-b

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by bonsak: @serge-m Im not sure why, but its just like you're experiencing. Its not possible to transform Cineware layers in AE without precomposing them or using the transform effect.

-b

Yes, this is a serious issue, if you want to adjust motion.
But who to contact now: Adobe or Maxon ?
I think this is a Maxon related issue... I contact their support.

Best

Serge

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by serge-m: Yes, this is a serious issue, if you want to adjust motion.

Best

Serge

my understanding is this is an adobe plugin.
so it would/should be adobe that needs to help you(could be wrong)

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by serge-m: Yes, this is a serious issue, if you want to adjust motion.

Best

Serge

Please get in contact with Adobe on this.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by dataflow: my understanding is this is an adobe plugin.
so it would/should be adobe that needs to help you(could be wrong)

Cineware is a co-production from both companies

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if this was a limitation though as there are similar issues with other effects like the New Pixel motion blur, which also needs to be pre-comped in certain situations where you want to affect the layer the effect is applied to.

Last edited by chi : 06 June 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: edited redundant material

06 June 2013
I really like the idea behind cineware and the developements that might come.
but on the other hand I just loathe the CC only approach of adobe. without cineware I wouldn't even consider to go into the cloud :(

hard times.

Jops

09 September 2013
I'm getting a string of cryptic replies after installing the C4DImporter.plugin with AfterEffects CC:

After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! {Unexpected FunctionBlock5 flags for FunctionBlock4}
//
AEGP Plugin SDK_IO: Could not register file type.
//
AEGP Plugin SDK_IO: There was an error registering the plugin.

Any chances of an updated version from Maxon to work with CC? I've deleted the 'MAXON CINEWARE AE' folder, but the problem remains.

09 September 2013
Chris,

The old plugin architecture is no longer supported. You must use Cineware.

But just FYI...I use Cineware ONLY for extracting my 3D data (camera, lights, nulls, etc.)

So in that respect, it's actually a slightly better workflow. You don't have to output .aec from C4D anymore. Just open the C4D file and extract what you need. No more need to re-export .aec after making changes in the C4D file.

I still render my multipass from C4D the old school way. That might change for me when the new cineware gets dropped on us soon.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: Chris, The old plugin architecture is no longer supported. You must use Cineware....

But Cineware is useless for anything other than the simplest animations. Anything xpresso/script based is lost with Cineware; targeted cameras, animated light rigs, camera rig setups are all ignored when you extract the scene.

I'm working around it by having AE CS6 open on a laptop to pull the scene data properly, save and reopen in CC - but it's not exactly smooth workflow.

09 September 2013
I get those errors too, but I just dismiss them. The old workflow still works with those plugins despite the error messages at launch, and have not found it to have a negative impact on any other aspect of the program. The thread on the Adobe forums has someone suggesting that leaving the old plugins screws with Dynamic Link, but I have not found that to be the case, as I often link between AE and PP.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: The old plugin architecture is no longer supported. You must use Cineware.

Not true. MAXON recognizes the benefits of the AEC workflow and continues to support it. If you have R15, you'll find a C4DImporter plugin for CC in the Exchange Plugins folder of your installation. Unfortunately the new plugin has not yet found its way to the website - I've asked about that internally. In the meantime, if you don't have R15 I believe you can get the new plugin from an R15 demo installation.

ETA: The C4DFormat plugin is no longer necessary since its functionality is now part of AE CC. Only the Importer plugin is required. Make sure you don't copy an additional C4DFormat plugin into your AE installation.

09 September 2013
Thanks for clearing that up. I must have misread a post I saw a few days ago.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by RickBarrett: Not true. MAXON recognizes the benefits of the AEC workflow and continues to support it. If you have R15, you'll find a C4DImporter plugin for CC in the Exchange Plugins folder of your installation...

That's good news Rick, but the Exchange plugins in the R15 folder still seem to cause the error, perhaps the wrong one was bundled on the DVD? Can you check the date on the correct AE plugin - I have Thursday, 10 May 2012 16:31 for both CS5-6 and CSCC versions.

Having said that, the AEC loader imports the files fine once I click OK to the three error messages - but AE is such a creaky old app I'd rather not give it any extra excuses to bomb out on me!

Thread Closed share thread