Carbon Scatter

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Carbon Scatter

Does anybody have much experience of this, and whether its stable on the Mac OSX versions of Cinema 4D?

I have the excellent SurfaceSpread, but the added functions within CS appeal, despite its questionable eon/vue heritage

Experience either way gratefully received!

Cheers
Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

06 June 2013
I tried the trial version and had C4D crash on me when trying to render panoramas.

Not sure if they fixed it in a new version, never checked I just had my belly full with 'eon-software' over past experiences. :s

Why not install the trial version and see what happens?

06 June 2013
My experience with E-on's software is that it will always break in new releases of the host application. Then you need to wait for the next version of E-on's software which can take a long time. With Cinema 4D r15 around the corner I think this would be inviting problems. Personally I think sticking with Surface Spread is a better option. Is there anything you particularly need that Carbon Scatter can do that Surface Spread can't?

edit:-
KromeKat not sure if you picked up Paul's Dem Earth - ????
It may be worth pointing out that Carbon Scatter does not see Dem Earth geometry unless you make it editable first. I use Paint on Surface which has been very good for this.

Last edited by bbuxton : 06 June 2013 at 03:06 PM.

06 June 2013
I'm away from my office at the moment, but I plan to download the plugin demo to my desktop when I return, I just wanted to hear of any others experiences - especially since it's eon, and Vue was always problematic.

I think the overall appeal is the full ecosystems functionality, which was always something that I thought was great in Vue (when I had it working).
The random/variation in the objects forms is another advantage, as well as the access to a huge library of plants.

re- DEM Earth - I'd planned to pick it up whilst it was on offer, but unfortunately missed the boat, but thanks for the tip

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

06 June 2013
I purchased Carbon Scatter before it was available for C4D.
Having dealt with e-on in the past, I know it was a risk. Have since then upgraded to Carbon Scatter 2 and the botanica module (in order to "edit" plants and generate variations). This for an ongoing personal project ... which unfortunately takes a few years in the making, and only is worked on during cold winter periods.
To be honest, I haven't much used Carbon Scatter, except for minor plant population, but the large library of plants for me is a plus. I am not saying I would recommend it over Surface Spread ... after all, it's e-on we're talking about, but I have been positively surprised by the end result. I'm glad I purchased it (at the reduced introduction price back then).

06 June 2013
i know some of our users use carbon scatter with success and like it much. i used it a bit and seemed ok mostly.

also good is surface spread p.e
http://rhino.io

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread