Adding some spring to motion?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Adding some spring to motion?

Is there a quick and easy way (a script?) to add some basic spring motion to animated parameters (position / rotation) besides having to use MoGraph and the Delay Effector?

Thanks!

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Originally Posted by sneather: Is there a quick and easy way (a script?) to add some basic spring motion to animated parameters (position / rotation) besides having to use MoGraph and the Delay Effector?

Thanks!

You can use the delay effector on a regular object if you switch the deformer setting to object (or point).
Also the jiggle deformer does this.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Vibrate is an option too.
Vertex map with jiggle localizes the effect.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Ugh. Thanks, guys. I'm such a tool. I've been running R13 since it came out, and yet I haven't properly explored every one of the "new" effectors. Jiggle does the trick!

Cheers!

Old 06 June 2013   #5
There's CD Springy Keys as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93CT94sMnPM

Old 06 June 2013   #6
You can also do it with good old keyframes, sometimes a faster way IMO to get the result you want. Faster again with a little scripting.. https://vimeo.com/42471806

Cheers,
Brian

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Howdy,
Originally Posted by sneather: Is there a quick and easy way (a script?) to add some basic spring motion to animated parameters (position / rotation) besides having to use MoGraph and the Delay Effector?

Thanks!

You may be interested in my CD Springy Keys plugin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93CT94sMnPM

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 06 June 2013   #8
I'm still having a few issues with the delay effector and jiggle. Specifically, what I'm trying to accomplish, is just a little slight over-run with a simple camera rig. I have the camera attached to a null. The null is controlling the rotation around an object, and the camera is simply moving in and out along the its z-axis.

I can't see any affects, regardless of whether I apply the two effects, mentioned above, to either the camera or the null. Nothing happens. I can take the same effects, and apply them to a simple primitive object, and then they work fine. Are there some odd limitations to using such "spring" effects on nulls or cameras? I can't figure out why there would be.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
I would give the wiggle deformer a try.

Cheers cube

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Another option would be to constrain the camera to a null with a spring constraint and animate the null.

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Originally Posted by cubeman: I would give the wiggle deformer a try.

Cheers cube

Do you mean the "jiggle" deformer? If so, that's what I can't get to work on the camera nor the null.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Originally Posted by AdamT: Another option would be to constrain the camera to a null with a spring constraint and animate the null.

Yeah. Thanks. I have tried this, too. It actually seems to be the only solution for doing what I want with a camera attached to a null. However, it too presents a number of little control problems. Also, part of my issue (my own fault) is that I already have my main animation keyframed out. So, getting the spring constrain to work would require some time-intensive reverse engineering of my setup. But I may have no other choice. I really don't want to keyframe the over-runs into the animation, if I can avoid that.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Originally Posted by sneather: Do you mean the "jiggle" deformer? If so, that's what I can't get to work on the camera nor the null.

Yeah, jiggle may be the right term. Wasn't sure about it. If you replace the null with a cube (set to be invisible), the deformer should fit.

Cheers cube

Old 06 June 2013   #14
I can't believe no one has mentioned CS-SpringNull. I've used that many times to add bounce to an objects movement. Very easy to set up and tweak.

http://www.activateyourimage.com

Old 06 June 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Activator: I can't believe no one has mentioned CS-SpringNull. I've used that many times to add bounce to an objects movement. Very easy to set up and tweak.

Those are some nice-looking aids. However, the spring one seems specifically designed to work in preset space. Whereas, I'm actually looking to add some "over-run" to the existing motion I already have keyframed out.

Thread Closed share thread