SketchUp importer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
SketchUp importer

Im currently working on a full Sketchup importer and before I go the full mile, I would like to get some feadback from you guys as to the interest level.

If your interested, please let me know.

regards
Paul Everett
CinemaPlugins

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Something like that already exists:

http://www.archiplug.com/en/sketch4d

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Originally Posted by umblefugly: sketch4d
is for windows.
I am looking for one for MAC

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Hello Paul. Are you using new sdk(io) of trimble sketchup? Will support 5-2013 versions?
sketch4d uses skp2fbx and re-import to c4d(if they did not change algo for it)...

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I would be very interested. Most of my clients use the free version and cannot export a model that is of any use for me in C4d.
Thank you!

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Hi Paul

I am very interested in this and the KML imported you polled earlier.
For me KML import is more important as Google Earth Pro is a better option for Mac users than Ultimate Maps under Parallels + Win 7.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by birdy: is for windows.
I am looking for one for MAC

Yeah, forgot they had no MAC version there. Knowing the quality of Pauls past and current stuff I know hed do it justice.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Hello Paul,
this would be my dream plugin. The best would be, if you could reimport modified modell from SketchUp to Cinema.
Jiri

Old 06 June 2013   #9
i would buy it Paul!
http://rhino.io

Old 06 June 2013   #10
I occasionally use Sketchup and import through obj or dae, but a special import plugin would be very nice and an instant buy for me.

So don't forget to vote y'all!
See Pauls link in the first post

odo

Old 06 June 2013   #11
The question would be what would you offer that is not currently possible with the FBX importer for C4D. It works well. You get material assignments and geometry. I assume cameras can also be imported.

I am trying to think what would be something that is not being translated directly from SketchUp.

The only thing I do not like about SketchUP is double sided materials. It creates problems.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
I would be very interested!
Cheers,
D

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Quote: The question would be what would you offer that is not currently possible with the FBX importer for C4D. It works well. You get material assignments and geometry. I assume cameras can also be imported.

Indeed, what would be the features?

Old 06 June 2013   #14
Originally Posted by EricM: Indeed, what would be the features?

The problem with direct export to formats such as fbx,obj,ect is that they lose any geographic information they may have had in the scene. You end up with a dumb model.

The most attractive aspect is georeferencing. However, I am now swinging in the direction of the kml(z) importer as it offers all that sketch direct export does + a lot more things that are relevant to what I want to do. As well as being the primary export format from Google Earth and having the full support of just about every GIS program there is.

So,I am leaning toward kml, as its also significantly easier to implement. However, although I now see that kml is clearly the most advantagous and wide spread format, and the fact that it would be much quicker (read - a couple of months) to get a kml im/ex out the door, frankly nobody was interested in the kml poll. I shall have to ponder the potential in all this and ask myself if my time would not be better spent flipping burgers or something equaly gainful

cheers
Paul
CinemaPlugins.com

Last edited by tapaul : 06 June 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #15
Originally Posted by tapaul: The problem with direct export to formats such as fbx,obj,ect is that they lose any geographic information they may have had in the scene. You end up with a dumb model.

The most attractive aspect is georeferencing. ...snip
CinemaPlugins.com

Okay, this sounds interesting. If the geo-referencing could connect with C4D physical sky settings then you are onto something different. I appreciate your recognition of the import models not containing information. I am a big supporter of C4D becoming more smart in terms of information modeling. This a good move on your part!

If this could also connect with Maxwell Render sky settings, then another +.

Not sure how this would connect with your OSM importer. I mean I could just move the model to where it needs to go after importing OSM information. Maybe the two could work together and then I assume the same with your DEM plugin as well.

But the connection with the physical sky would be great.

We can bring in the Google Earth terrain (GET) and map into C4D using FBX. So that would not be anything new. GET is low resolution. It is not anything that approaches the resolution of your DEM plugin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=A-OfeO7H0Mk

Last edited by Continuumx : 06 June 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Closed share thread