Cinema 4D R14 and Octane for C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #46
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: This.

At the moment, you can get 2 Xeon E5-2640 (a total of 12 cores, 2.5 GHz) for $1800. So for $5400 + the cost of 3 systems, you can get a 36 Xeon core renderfarm.

Well, that cost of the systems, plus operating systems, will set you back around another $3,000 and you'll have some slowish processors. For the same cost you could have 8 Titans or 12-14 GTX 780s, which are nearly as fast as Titans in Octane. I think I know who wins that battle.

Octane is very inexpensive and if you do build up your gpu capability it has the advantage of bypassing NET which is often a PITA, plus you have the near real-time feedback. OTOH, there are some significant limitations (limited multipass, motion blur, sketch, hair, shaders, etc.).

I've just started out with it but I'm liking it a lot. It scratches that unbiased Maxwell itch without the interminable Maxwell render times.

Old 06 June 2013   #47
Originally Posted by AdamT: Well, that cost of the systems, plus operating systems, will set you back around another $3,000 and you'll have some slowish processors. For the same cost you could have 8 Titans or 12-14 GTX 780s, which are nearly as fast as Titans in Octane. I think I know who wins that battle.

Octane is very inexpensive and if you do build up your gpu capability it has the advantage of bypassing NET which is often a PITA, plus you have the near real-time feedback.

I agree Octane seems like the best solution. I was just pointing out that ALec has a super fast system so I wanted to get a point of view from the average user who has only one Card. That being said Alec is right on the speed/price ratio. Octane is only $200 vs $1000 for most other render software. So I can get a Titan GPU and the Octane software and have a faster renderer at nearly the same price.

Old 06 June 2013   #48
Originally Posted by AdamT: Well, that cost of the systems, plus operating systems, will set you back around another $3,000 and you'll have some slowish processors. For the same cost you could have 8 Titans or 12-14 GTX 780s, which are nearly as fast as Titans in Octane. I think I know who wins that battle.

Octane is very inexpensive and if you do build up your gpu capability it has the advantage of bypassing NET which is often a PITA, plus you have the near real-time feedback. OTOH, there are some significant limitations (limited multipass, motion blur, sketch, hair, shaders, etc.).

I've just started out with it but I'm liking it a lot. It scratches that unbiased Maxwell itch without the interminable Maxwell render times.

Hey Adam-
I totally hear you about Maxwell. Bought it last year. Did a job or two (stills) and that was about it. Cool and pretty, but SLOW as HELL. Who's got the time? I think you're right. Octane is similar to Maxwell but on speed. For me it's a total joy to work with. Even if it's very new and has several major limitations. Somehow I haven't rendered anything with a CPU since I dove into this around Christmas of last year.

As far as materials go, it's a lot of trial and error I'm afraid. They do start to make sense though as you use them. If I use a standard material now IT feels odd and limiting to me. Soon the developer will bring over the node based materials into Cinema. At least I think that's still in the works.

Good luck!
Alec

Old 06 June 2013   #49
I've seen rumor that there are Titan drivers in 10.8.4. I know Alec said Nvidia is funky on Mac but does anyone know for certain if a Titan can run on a Mac Pro?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 06 June 2013   #50
If anyone trying Octane has faced issues with noise vs. render times, I've found that denoisers like Magic Bullet Denoiser II do a good job of smoothing out the noise, saving me quite a bit of rendertime.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0gjhiiyc...ane-denoise.jpg

Old 06 June 2013   #51
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread