Cinema 4D R14 and Octane for C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #16
Easy for you to say... You've got a boxful of Titans!

I agree it is very addictive and very much a game changer.

Btw Alec, are you using Octane over NetRender?

Originally Posted by AlecS: With some off the shelf gaming GPU's this is nearly real time for lighting and material work. It just allows so much more experimentation

Old 06 June 2013   #17
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Easy for you to say... You've got a boxful of Titans!

Realtime rendering. I don't think it's necessary.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 06 June 2013   #18
watching the demo movies on their site. That's insane. I think I'm ready for a PC box with Octane. ONE. and just for rendering....
HyperactiveVR

Old 06 June 2013   #19
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Easy for you to say... You've got a boxful of Titans!

True, yes. I love my Titans. Way cheaper than dual Xeons though. Any way faster too. As far as the net is concerned, the developer is working on it. It works fine now but there's a texture collecting issue that needs sorting out. So, if you happen to have a file with no bit maps, it works fine. I'll be on the developer to sort that soon though.

Alec

Old 06 June 2013   #20
It works on mac as well. But with the new Mac Pro, not so sure right now how we gonna get CUDA going on it.

You should seriously just try the demo. Insane indeed.

Originally Posted by Troyan: watching the demo movies on their site. That's insane. I think I'm ready for a PC box with Octane. ONE. and just for rendering....

Old 06 June 2013   #21
Hi,

just to show a quick example with Cinema and the Octane Pluggy:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...aperPiggies.mov

It's a sequence, that took about 2 hours with a GTX 580 on my Mac Pro at 960x540px and a sample count of just 400 ("Path Tracing"), that was fully ok for me.

Greetings

Serge

Old 06 June 2013   #22
Originally Posted by mustardseed: It works on mac as well. But with the new Mac Pro, not so sure right now how we gonna get CUDA going on it.

You should seriously just try the demo. Insane indeed.

What card are you using? Can a Titan be fit into the current Mac Chassis? and I think you have to get a bigger power supply, yes?
HyperactiveVR

Old 06 June 2013   #23
I've read that 10.8.4 has Titan drivers. The current Mac Pro PSU should be enough for at least 1 Titan right?

I've been using Octane C4d with the 650M on my MBP. It really smokes physical render. Was really hoping for the new Mac Pro to be something I could put Titans into, but that's not going happen now. My next hope is for TB breakout boxes. But I won't be holding my breath.

Plan B for me would be to get a used Mac Pro + Titan and use Octane with Net once that's sorted out.

There's quite a bit more work the developer needs to get done before Octane feels totally integrated into C4d, but it's definitely getting there. So I bit the bullet and bought into it to get used to it first. It's not expensive to begin with compared to other renderers.

Old 06 June 2013   #24
Originally Posted by mustardseed: I've read that 10.8.4 has Titan drivers. The current Mac Pro PSU should be enough for at least 1 Titan right?

I've been using Octane C4d with the 650M on my MBP. It really smokes physical render. Was really hoping for the new Mac Pro to be something I could put Titans into, but that's not going happen now. My next hope is for TB breakout boxes. But I won't be holding my breath.

Plan B for me would be to get a used Mac Pro + Titan and use Octane with Net once that's sorted out.

There's quite a bit more work the developer needs to get done before Octane feels totally integrated into C4d, but it's definitely getting there. So I bit the bullet and bought into it to get used to it first. It's not expensive to begin with compared to other renderers.

I've heard the Nvidia drivers are squirrelly on Mac. Everything working fine for you?
HyperactiveVR

Old 06 June 2013   #25
I'm currently on 10.8.4 and the latest CUDA from nVidia. Everything CUDA accelerated works just fine, from Octane to AE/Mettle/Element. All CS6 apps and c4d working flawlessly.

Old 06 June 2013   #26
on C4D scenes, I'm trying Blender Cycles from models made on C4d exported to blender as collada 1.5 to test freely the power of path tracing.

there is somes test on my blog :
http://nicolasrouelle.blogspot.fr/

I'm on mac pro at work 12cores (24 treads for blender) and on PC with GTX580 at Home for the same scenes, i have to say it's pretty difficult to return to C4d physical rendering after testing the power of Cycles with CPU or GPU.

Old 06 June 2013   #27
Originally Posted by mustardseed: I'm currently on 10.8.4 and the latest CUDA from nVidia. Everything CUDA accelerated works just fine, from Octane to AE/Mettle/Element. All CS6 apps and c4d working flawlessly.

Wait, is AE Cuda aware? I thought it wasn't.
HyperactiveVR

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Some plugins like Mettle Freeform need CUDA.

Oh and one more thing that isn't quite working yet in Octane C4d is LWF. this might be a deal breaker depending on what you need to do. I had to switch back to physical render for my latest job be because I couldn't get a client's RGB colour to render correctly with Octane. But apparently LWF is also being addressed in upcoming revs.

Last edited by mustardseed : 06 June 2013 at 04:52 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #29
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Some plugins like Mettle Freeform need CUDA.

Oh and one more thing that isn't quite working yet in Octane C4d is LWF. this might be a deal breaker depending on what you need to do. I had to switch back to physical render for my latest job be because I couldn't get a client's RGB colour to render correctly with Octane. But apparently LWF is also being addressed in upcoming revs.

As a relative newbie Im guessing you are referring to Linear Work Flow. Yes, that unfortunately is a deal breaker for me. I hope they address that soon. I would love the speed increase.

Old 06 June 2013   #30
Don't expect motion blur to come soon. That has been one of the biggest delays in the next Vray update, as C4D doesn't have a proper motion blur system built in - Maxon literally put together a hack to get motion blur in the Physical render.

Thread Closed share thread