Cinema 4D R14 and Octane for C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Cinema 4D R14 and Octane for C4D

CINEMA 4D USERS - Anyone using Octane for C4D? I see it uses GPU for render. I have Nvidia GTX 570. Faster then Physical? Good? Bad?

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Originally Posted by lasvideo: CINEMA 4D USERS - Anyone using Octane for C4D? I see it uses GPU for render. I have Nvidia GTX 570. Faster then Physical? Good? Bad?

Hi Lasvideo-
Yes, Octane is awesome. I use it every day. We've been a beta site for the plugin. It's coming along nicely. The great thing about Octane is you can easily upgrade your video card to ramp up the speed. And as new cards come out they seem to double the speed every year. I've gone completely mental and loaded my main computers with multiple Titan cards just for Octane. LOVE the Octane. Try the demo!

Alec

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Alec, would you happen to know if putting GPUs like Titan in Thunderbolt PCI breakout boxes would work?

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Another Nvidia renderer that will need outboard cards with the new Mac Pro. It will be interesting to see if these developers jump to open CL as from reading it seems more mature now. I hear the GPU's in the new Mac are getting good reviews from people who know

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I'm trying to find more projects to use it on! Love the speed, it's got a little way with the plugin but Octane as an engine is stunning.

Originally Posted by mustardseed: Alec, would you happen to know if putting GPUs like Titan in Thunderbolt PCI breakout boxes would work?

I think it would work, if the box is powered. Thunderbolt 2 can sustain 20GB/s both ways, so it should happily sustain a single Titan not sure about more than one.

cheers
brasc

Old 06 June 2013   #6
With my laptop i7 720qm GTX 460m one hour in Octane equates to about one month in Physical render. As you can imagine using my laptop for jobs was near impossible before Octane. Also, if you plan on using the new Dpit Effex 2.0 you owe it to yourself to also get Octane.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Does it use C4D material, camera,light, etc. or do you have to use Octane versions of these. Any drawbacks? I would be using on a HP Z820 with GTX 570.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Originally Posted by lasvideo: Does it use C4D material, camera,light, etc. or do you have to use Octane versions of these. Any drawbacks? I would be using on a HP Z820 with GTX 570.

Octane can use Cinema shaders if you just don't have time to convert them for example. It's not really recommended though. I always recreate or use the live data base of Octane materials. They just work totally different. You'll have way more control.

Drawbacks? Not really. Oh, no displacements yet. That's a bummer. I think it's coming, but it's not here yet.

Your HP should work great with Octane. The GTX 570 will render nicely.

Alec

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG: With my laptop i7 720qm GTX 460m one hour in Octane equates to about one month in Physical render. As you can imagine using my laptop for jobs was near impossible before Octane. Also, if you plan on using the new Dpit Effex 2.0 you owe it to yourself to also get Octane.

What is the connection between Effex 2 and Octane?

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Originally Posted by AlecS: Octane can use Cinema shaders if you just don't have time to convert them for example. It's not really recommended though. I always recreate or use the live data base of Octane materials. They just work totally different. You'll have way more control.

Drawbacks? Not really. Oh, no displacements yet. That's a bummer. I think it's coming, but it's not here yet.

Your HP should work great with Octane. The GTX 570 will render nicely.

Alec

No volumetrics either, yes?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Does Octane do motion blur? I can't see how to get it with the C4D demo.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
I've seen user examples of environment fog and volumetric light rays on the octane forums. I've also read that motion blur is in the works. Definitely no displacement for now though.

What I tend to do now for my Octane/C4d workflow is render with Octane for the RGB and make a stripped down version to switch over to standard/Physical render for specific passes like motion vector/object ID etc. Octane just renders so insanely fast, especially when using Direct Ligting in AO mode for outdoor/daylight scenes.

Old 06 June 2013   #14
True, motion blur is not ready yet. It's coming, but don't know when. Volumetrics are in the early stages. I don't really use volumetrics so it's no loss for me. Others it could be a problem (Troyan?)

For me it's all about the speed of Octane and the quality. With the speed you can get to good lighting so fast. With some off the shelf gaming GPU's this is nearly real time for lighting and material work. It just allows so much more experimentation. I feel it leads me to better art in the long run simply because I can try so many more things. It's totally addicting. I haven't used CPU rendering since installing Octane for the first time last Christmas. And I was a big Vray fan!

I'll record a simple video of working in Octane tomorrow if I have some time. You guys need to see this for yourselves. It's a game changer.

Alec

Old 06 June 2013   #15
Originally Posted by AlecS: True, motion blur is not ready yet. It's coming, but don't know when. Volumetrics are in the early stages. I don't really use volumetrics so it's no loss for me. Others it could be a problem (Troyan?)

For me it's all about the speed of Octane and the quality. With the speed you can get to good lighting so fast. With some off the shelf gaming GPU's this is nearly real time for lighting and material work. It just allows so much more experimentation. I feel it leads me to better art in the long run simply because I can try so many more things. It's totally addicting. I haven't used CPU rendering since installing Octane for the first time last Christmas. And I was a big Vray fan!

I'll record a simple video of working in Octane tomorrow if I have some time. You guys need to see this for yourselves. It's a game changer.

Alec

No, it was just that one glass scene you were going to test for me. What about vertex maps and selection sets? I'd love to see a test. I want to see you do a simple animation. I rarely do stills, it's all animations for me.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Thread Closed share thread