R14 Camera Issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
R14 Camera Issue

I've just started to transition from R13 to R14, and have been noticing all of the little tweaks and changes, a few of which have gotten a bit annoying. If anyone could help me out that'd be swell:

If I'm viewing my scene through a camera that's controlled by Xpresso, then hit the hotkey to view my scene through the Top Camera view, I cannot pan around the scene correctly. Moving my mouse left & right makes the scene move in a reverse diagonal (or in directions that are not left and right). It's only when I deselect the white "view through this camera" button in my object manager that I can pan around the top view as normal.

If I'm viewing my scene through the Xpresso camera, hotkey to the top view, then hotkey back to the perspective view, my camera view becomes locked on the very center of my screen. If I try to move my view, I can't. It's only when I hit the play button that my view snaps back to where it should be.

And last, but certainly not least - if I'm viewing my scene through a regular free moving camera (not controlled by Xpresso), hotkey to the top view, then hotkey back to my standard view, my freeflow camera is automatically moved from wherever it used to be back to the center of my scene - with a focus on the 0,0,0 coordinates. This is an exceptional pain when I have several cameras set up at various places in a large scene for reference, because I'm constantly having to move them back to their original positions. Placing a protection tag on them does prevent this from occurring; however, once I do that I can no longer automatically switch to the top view via hotkey, which I do quite often.

I tried Googling these things, but any search with the words "R14 Camera" brings up every R14 new feature blog post in the history of mankind.

Since R14 has been out for a while now, I was hoping some other people have run into these issues and found a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Luke

Old 06 June 2013   #2
I will follow this thread closely since I've been having LOTS of camera issues myself. Different from the OP's but I'm wondering if they all have the same origin.

One of the things that drive me crazy is how switching cameras with the little white widget in the Object Manager while an orthographic view is active makes that view a Perspective view instead of just switching cameras the way it used to be ---in Perspective view only.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I've just started to transition from R13 to R14, and have been noticing all of the little tweaks and changes, a few of which have gotten a bit annoying. If anyone could help me out that'd be swell:

If I'm viewing my scene through a camera that's controlled by Xpresso, then hit the hotkey to view my scene through the Top Camera view, I cannot pan around the scene correctly. Moving my mouse left & right makes the scene move in a reverse diagonal (or in directions that are not left and right). It's only when I deselect the white "view through this camera" button in my object manager that I can pan around the top view as normal.

If I'm viewing my scene through the Xpresso camera, hotkey to the top view, then hotkey back to the perspective view, my camera view becomes locked on the very center of my screen. If I try to move my view, I can't. It's only when I hit the play button that my view snaps back to where it should be.

And last, but certainly not least - if I'm viewing my scene through a regular free moving camera (not controlled by Xpresso), hotkey to the top view, then hotkey back to my standard view, my freeflow camera is automatically moved from wherever it used to be back to the center of my scene - with a focus on the 0,0,0 coordinates. This is an exceptional pain when I have several cameras set up at various places in a large scene for reference, because I'm constantly having to move them back to their original positions. Placing a protection tag on them does prevent this from occurring; however, once I do that I can no longer automatically switch to the top view via hotkey, which I do quite often.

I tried Googling these things, but any search with the words "R14 Camera" brings up every R14 new feature blog post in the history of mankind.

Since R14 has been out for a while now, I was hoping some other people have run into these issues and found a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Luke

Perhaps you could describe how Xpresso is controlling you camera.
Without that everything you mentioned doesn't really help.
If you can't share the scene / xpresso then send it to tech support so they can explore it.
Your issues may get noticed by the Dev, but I think as long as he is missing a project to work off he can't really help either.

Now for the other issue with the toggle changing ortho views gets to me too.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
What bothers me is that if I accidentally use the rotate camera hotkey in an orthographic view Cinema will now rotate the orthographic view clockwise or counter-clockwise. I'm sure that never happened before R14 and it's damned annoying.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Originally Posted by AdamT: What bothers me is that if I accidentally use the rotate camera hotkey in an orthographic view Cinema will now rotate the orthographic view clockwise or counter-clockwise. I'm sure that never happened before R14 and it's damned annoying.

Just hit the shift key while rotating to snap it back.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Luke, when you say youre pressing a key for the top down camera. Have you bound a key to make your active camera turn into a top-down view (the menu would be Cameras > Top) or are you activating the second view via F2, which by default happens to be a top-down view (ie youre looking at the top right window of the quad view.

Generally, you shouldnt be using the different view types in the cameras menu, these are really only for occasionally switching the fundamental type of camera you want. If you want to explore your scene, set the 4 different windows accordingly (though they are top, side and front by default) and flip between those.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by imashination: Luke, when you say youre pressing a key for the top down camera. Have you bound a key to make your active camera turn into a top-down view (the menu would be Cameras > Top) or are you activating the second view via F2, which by default happens to be a top-down view (ie youre looking at the top right window of the quad view.

Generally, you shouldnt be using the different view types in the cameras menu, these are really only for occasionally switching the fundamental type of camera you want. If you want to explore your scene, set the 4 different windows accordingly (though they are top, side and front by default) and flip between those.

This is EXACTLY what happened. I bound my hotkeys incorrectly. So every time I thought I was switching views, I was actually moving that camera's position. That's why the Xpresso controlled camera (which was just an align to spline) was having issues, because Cinema was trying to fight the tag.

Thank you!

Old 06 June 2013   #8
However, now I cannot get each of the different views ("View 1" "View 2" "View 3") to stick or to lock to the particular camera view ('Front' 'Back' 'Left') that I'd like them to. One minute my "Cmd-3" hotkey (View 3) is on the "Right" camera, and the next moment it's been moved to the standard "Perspective" camera.

Is there a way to lock the views?

Here's a 30 second video to illustrate my issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iao5w6ot5...ording%2038.mov

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 06 June 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Just hit the shift key while rotating to snap it back.

Thanks, Per -- good tip.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
It looks like three of the windows are all linked to the same camera, so when you change any of the three, theyll all naturally get updated. In each of the 4 views, set the camera menu to default camera. Then adjust their views accordingly.

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Quote: It looks like three of the windows are all linked to the same camera, so when you change any of the three, theyll all naturally get updated. In each of the 4 views, set the camera menu to default camera. Then adjust their views accordingly.

Thank you. If I had been smart enough to just restart the program, that would have fixed the issue. *shakes head*

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Any ideas if switching cameras in the Object Manager when an orthographic view is active is a "feature" or a bug?

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Im saying bug, it annoys me anyway :P

Old 06 June 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Nanome: Any ideas if switching cameras in the Object Manager when an orthographic view is active is a "feature" or a bug?

This is really bugging me too - I couldn't work out if something had changed in the last update... or if I had suddenly started doing something wrong/differently?

If im setting up a load of cameras in a scene - most of the adjustment is done in top view..adjust camera, switch to next camera - adjust camera and so on.. only problem is every time I switch cameras I lose the top view!

Is this an option/toggle anywhere?

Old 06 June 2013   #15
Originally Posted by SteveB: This is really bugging me too - I couldn't work out if something had changed in the last update... or if I had suddenly started doing something wrong/differently?

If im setting up a load of cameras in a scene - most of the adjustment is done in top view..adjust camera, switch to next camera - adjust camera and so on.. only problem is every time I switch cameras I lose the top view!

Is this an option/toggle anywhere?

Don't know about a toggle (what should that behavior even be good for...), but if I understand your issue correctly, your installation is not performing as it should. Just tried this:

I set up a scene.
I move the default camera and switch it to various orthographic and perspective views.
I make a new camera from each of these views.
I end up with 11 new cameras.

Switching through the cameras with the "Active Camera" icon in the Object manager works fine and keeps and sets the perspective or orthographic view of the cameras. Cycling through the cameras by script does the same. No mysterious switch in projection here!
(Windows 7, C4D release 14.041)

Thread Closed share thread