Problems with invisible polygons when deleting geometry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Problems with invisible polygons when deleting geometry

I'm having this problem with this object: whenever I try to delete some polygons and then recreate geometry the new polygons appear to be invisible, the hypernurbs even ignore them but they exist because I can select them. I've tried to make all visible in all modes but no sucess.
I read on a closed thread someone say something about reset system but I can seem to find it in my C4D. I use R13 Studio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-3.jpg (84.9 KB, 42 views)

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Maybe the normal are reversed and you have back face culling turned on?

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Nope. Reversing normals didn't help and I don't have backface culling turned on :(

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Odd. Perhaps a corrupt file/object. Does it happen if you create a new object?

Old 06 June 2013   #5
No. It only happens with this one.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
You've probably got coplanar polygons i.e. polygons in the same place. I suggest downloading and running the free Geomcheck plugin. This detects and selects problem geometry. I find this essential for modelling in C4D.

3DKiwi

Old 06 June 2013   #7
its a trick of your eye because the damn default object color can easily blend in like the grey of the viewport bg. There is a polygon there and it is blue. Why would it be blue when the rest of the mesh is pinkish orange? Because you have a material applied to a selection set, newly created polygons are not automatically added to selection sets.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Propably you could try to optimize your geometry so that there will be
no ghost points. Other good point when modeling polygon faces is aligning normals into same direction. Your polygon face has no selection so I donīt know if itīs right way up or not. The axis is pointing downward however.

You could check normal face "ticks" to be visible in viewport settings with shift+v.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Howdy,

Can you upload your model so the folks here can have a look at it to figure out what's wrong?

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Thanks everyone for your help. I've figured out what was happening: It had something to do with a polygon selection tag, although the old polygons from this selection weren't invisible when I deleted it all came back to normal.
That's a really useful plugin, thanks 3DKiwi

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread