Tracer with spline dynamics ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Tracer with spline dynamics ?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to affect a tracer with the spline dynamics tag, or some workaround to get a similar effect..
I have a bunch of particles emitting from a point, spreading around until they freeze in final position. The tracer is connecting all the particles with the center, much like a dandelion, but the lines are all straight and I would like them to flex and wobble under gravity instead, as they were ropes attached to the objects.

Any advice or hint would be much appreciated

Cheers
Massimiliano

06 June 2013
You could use the tracer as the source for a mospline and then apply a random effector in noise mode to the mospline. But the ends wouldn't stick to particles so I'm not sure how you'd deal with that.

06 June 2013
Massimiliano, you have to convert the Tracer to a spline object first in order to use dynmaics, since the tracer is a generator object.
be sure to set the spline type settings in oyur tracer to ypur desired needs beofre you connvert.
then in the spline dyn tag/properties set your anchors (usually first and last spline vertex).

hope this helps
fuat

06 June 2013
Hi, sorry for the late reply and thanks for these advices !

@AdamT: yep tried that one already but as you say the ends won't stick to particles so is a no-go.

@fuat: I could do that but then it won't trace anymore Maybe I can bake the particles, get them traced and make an editable copy of the tracer to switch to...but it feels like overcomplicated. I was also thinking about creating a "polygonal instance" of the tracer with python but I'll have to study that..

Thanks
Massimiliano

06 June 2013
Well, you could use falloff to prevent the noise from affecting the ends of the splines, but that might require a custom falloff object if there's variation in the distance.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Visualtricks: Hi, sorry for the late reply and thanks for these advices !

@fuat: I could do that but then it won't trace anymore Maybe I can bake the particles, get them traced and make an editable copy of the tracer to switch to...but it feels like overcomplicated. I was also thinking about creating a "polygonal instance" of the tracer with python but I'll have to study that..

Thanks
Massimiliano

yep, thats what i meant with "generator object". but i was a little unclear, sorry. my thought was: after converting the spline you could use an animated sweep on the dynamic spline. this would lok like a growing "traced" spline.
maybe give it a try.
hope thats clear...
fuat

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by AdamT: Well, you could use falloff to prevent the noise from affecting the ends of the splines, but that might require a custom falloff object if there's variation in the distance.

Here's a technique I was messing around with. It's not particularly clean but maybe it could be adapted.

You could also emit a ton of particles to give the impression of a trail.
You could use this kind of approach and use a pConnector or Supertracer or something to connect up the trails. But limit the distance to something very small so each trail appears distinct.

Again not clean solutions but may just work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Trail.c4d.zip (54.3 KB, 43 views)

06 June 2013
thanks for the file, I'll try to look into it

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread