AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyan
Dunno, but I'm going to try it the moment I can get some air . Trying to get this project done so I can get XParticles . I want it SO BAD.

Yes, you can use the z-depth channel from RPF/RLA files. You apply the 3d channel extract filter to get the depth, then precompose the resulting depth channel and use that as your depth channel for the Frischluft plugin. It does produce a better result than the native depth channel due to the latter's AA.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Did not know about the Position Pass post effect.

From Help:

Quote:
Position Pass
The Position Pass can be used in 3D-compatible compositing applications that can in turn be used to create all sorts of effects with it.
In short, this pass contains 32-bit encoded positional information. The composition application knows the location of each pixel in 3D space and can - depending on the application itself - calculate effects such as new lighting, 3D masks or other three-dimensional effects.
Tip:
Since the position information is 32-bit encoded and can also contains negative values, such a pass can only be saved in 32-bit image formats: B3D, OpenEXR, PSD, PSB, TIF.
OpenEXR is the recommended format.
Note that Photoshop CS5 often has difficulty handling negative values and also cannot correctly read OpenEXR layers.
Make sure of the following when using this post effect:
Multi-Pass is enabled
The Multi-Pass Post Effect is enabled
Position Pass is enabled

Edge antialiasing has intentionally been omitted from the Position Pass function because this would render it unusable.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #33
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
Interesting. So how does the 3d depth plugin in AE read the depth data? What format do you render?

EDIT--oh...so you are saying lenscare can read 3d z-depth data. Did not know that---trying it now...

No, sorry, I'm not sure that it does. That was my poor hurried way of saying "I don't always do DOF in post, but when I do, I use 3D Z-depth data or Lenscare using a depth map. Both of which can be created using Zblur2". Not being careful about reading comprehension and writing has gotten me in trouble more than once in this forum.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #34
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Did not know about the Position Pass post effect.

From Help:

This couldn't have happened at a more perfect time. Sweet!
HyperactiveVR

Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #35
mism
PRO
Mark Mathieson
3D Artist
GB

Isn't a camera orientated position pass z channel the same as a normal depth pass, just 'calibrated' differently (different start and end points, colour values related to real world units)?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #36
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

I seem to have gone down the position pass rabbit hole this morning. Lots of info out there.

My compositing approach is usually more streamlined and somewhat rudimentary so have not been using exrs. Here is a post from cineversity (which includes as separate link to a more detailed thread) if any are interested. Forgive me if this is all common knowledge or even worse, a dead end.

http://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/979/

PS--this does not relate to the original vray vs phys renderer conversation---but might be useful.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 05-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #37
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT
Yes, you can use the z-depth channel from RPF/RLA files. You apply the 3d channel extract filter to get the depth, then precompose the resulting depth channel and use that as your depth channel for the Frischluft plugin. It does produce a better result than the native depth channel due to the latter's AA.

Exactly right, except the more modern OpenEXR is the clear choice, in AE, anyway. After several hours of obsessive research this much I know. Going to be using position pass a lot more. You can do a ton with it! Zblur does NOT create z-depth info, that comes straight from Cinema. Lenscare cannot use z-depth data, it need a map that can be extracted exactly as Adam laid out. If I can get it to work in my project tomorrow, I'll try and make a quick and dirty tut on it.
HyperactiveVR

Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #38
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Yeah, fxphd had several awesome position pass classes in background fundementals a couple terms back. I've been dying to get into using it, but the AE position pass plug-in isn't the best.

I'm assuming you guys are working with Nuke or Fusion?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #39
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier
Yeah, fxphd had several awesome position pass classes in background fundementals a couple terms back. I've been dying to get into using it, but the AE position pass plug-in isn't the best.

I'm assuming you guys are working with Nuke or Fusion?

AE here, but I know this sort of workflow resides in the murky waters approaching the edges of AE's current abilities. Don't have high hopes, but I'm finding it all interesting. on an even more unrelated note, I came across this relighting plugin for AE which uses a normal map and position pass out of c4d.

http://aescripts.com/pixel-cloud/

Haven't taken a fxphd course in about a year-think I'm due for another. I've put off Nuke for way too long.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #40
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

I've been eyeing Fusion for a little while now (it's $2400 vs Nuke's $4000); the Adobe CC events have made me wonder if I can get fusion to take over the function of both after effects and photoshop. I also think Fusion has a better future in store vs AE, as Adobe will lean on plug-in developers as long as they can. And if I really need AE for a single job, it's $20 a month.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #41
creativebloke
Scholar

portfolio
Mike Griggs
Freelance 3D, vfx & digital
Creative Bloke Ltd
United Kingdom

Quote:
AE here, but I know this sort of workflow resides in the murky waters approaching the edges of AE's current abilities. Don't have high hopes, but I'm finding it all interesting. on an even more unrelated note, I came across this relighting plugin for AE which uses a normal map and position pass out of c4d.

http://aescripts.com/pixel-cloud/

Haven't taken a fxphd course in about a year-think I'm due for another. I've put off Nuke for way too long.

I had a play with position passes when I was doing the review for c4d r14, and i got it to work in after effects, but tbh, for most workflows Nuke uses it better.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #42
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativebloke
I had a play with position passes when I was doing the review for c4d r14, and i got it to work in after effects, but tbh, for most workflows Nuke uses it better.

I cannot seem to extract z-depth info from my exr file. Can you give a brief workflow on how you got it to work? I get what appears to be a correct interpretation in AE, but I would think Extractor would be able to create something that resembles a traditional depth map? Is this not the case?
HyperactiveVR

Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #43
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

ok, so, none of this works with the physical renderer. You have to use the standard renderer to generate RPF, RLA and OpenEXR. Took a good portion of my day to figure out that was the problem. Make a note.
HyperactiveVR

Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #44
sneather
Expert
Name
SoCal, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyan
ok, so, none of this works with the physical renderer. You have to use the standard renderer to generate RPF, RLA and OpenEXR. Took a good portion of my day to figure out that was the problem. Make a note.

Ugh. Total garbage. I already knew that .RPF & .RLA don't work out of the physical render engine. But I was holding out hope that OpenEXR would work. I realize the physical renders are pretty, and all, but no professional (in their right mind) is going to give up such crucial post-controls.

This brings me back to my original topic:

Does Vray output a fully functioning .RPF/.RLA or Open EXR file format? And, just as important, is the Vray render significantly faster than that (on a comparable scene) of the C4D Physical engine???

Thanks, everyone.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #45
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneather
Ugh. Total garbage. I already knew that .RPF & .RLA don't work out of the physical render engine. But I was holding out hope that OpenEXR would work. I realize the physical renders are pretty, and all, but no professional (in their right mind) is going to give up such crucial post-controls.

This brings me back to my original topic:

Does Vray output a fully functioning .RPF/.RLA or Open EXR file format? And, just as important, is the Vray render significantly faster than that (on a comparable scene) of the C4D Physical engine???

Thanks, everyone.

Faster, yes. Don't know about the data formats. You should start a thread in their forums, they're quite responsive and good. vray for c4d site
HyperactiveVR

Thread Closed share thread