Internal Engine Combustion Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Internal Engine Combustion Question

Hi

Im currently working on a project where I use a 4 cylinder engines internals (cylinder and valves) where I want to show the air fuel mixture comes in and get compressed and explodes then pushed out. This have to be repeated and also keep up with the acceleration and decreasing speed of the motor.

At the moment Im a bit stuck in how to do this in the best visual way.
I have tried a demo of Turbulence FD but it have its limitations in the way of containing the fumes in the cylinder casing and pipes. What I manage it cant be done.

I have a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDNjGVzTKs to a nissan commercial at 1.27s I think they visualize it quite well.
or
this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzB...ature=endscreen at 4.09 but it have to look better then this.

Can it be solved with thinking particles or other simulation softwares?
I can buy a software or plugin if necessary that is not an issue just need to get a good effect.

I have Cinema 4D R14 Studio

If someone have an idea that would be great!

Thanks

05 May 2013
Personally I'd do this job with TP and Mograph not a full on fluid simulation.

You should look to Xpresso to sync the movement of your engine parts to the production of your particles then control the particles' destination in the exhaust phase. Do it right and everything will stay synced to your engine speed.

There's many ways to do this which will depend on your knowledge of C4D and the look you're after. You shouldn't need a plugin just throw a bit of Xpresso at the problem.

05 May 2013
The nissan commercial is clearly not a fluid sim, but just 'normal' particles. Everything
shown in the vid can be done in TP. You should also be aware that you often do not
use a fluid engine instead of particles, but in conjunction with particles (you use a
particle simulation to drive your fluid sim). But generally said, the more complex a
particle sim is, the lesser the impact of a fluid sim layered on top of that tends to
be (as a rule of thumb).

If you want to 'get real' with TP you should not be afraid of some basic vector and
matrices math. The Tp documentation is not very good and although for many scenarios
there are presets, many of them are just bad and for those who are not you will have
to understand the principles nevertheless on the long run.

If that is all 'eeeek' for you, you might want to look into Xparticles. It is targeting for
users who prefer to work more in artistic way rather than a technical. If you want to
go with TP, you will have to come up with more specific questions.

05 May 2013
Thanks for your input. I will look in to TP and I think I can use this to do parts of the animation and then do the explosion maybe in TFD. I will post my progress.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread