Expert

portfolio
Pavel Zoch
Maxon CINEMA 4D certified instructor, freelancer
Prague, Beroun, Czech Republic

speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyan
The ability to stop/save/load is awesome and used to use that all the time back in "The Day" with Strata Studio Pro. Can't understand why Cinema can't implement that feature. So Indigo is a hybrid renderer? How does the speed compare to Vray?

My opinion is:

Octane is really fast, but IRay is usually faster a bit (+CPU) for editing, but the current version uses an older version of IRay and the newets version is not implemented yet (but - it will be nice I believe)

Octane speed is really nice, but depends on GPU only, itīs crucial. Itīs really cheap and the plug looks nice, itīs still beta...

Indigo. As said, I like it, becouse itīs more "flexible" but the material editing needs to be improved, becouse you can combine many materials together and you can have up to 6-8 materials for an one final mat. It makes job a bit "chaotic". But, it will be improved as I know.

But, Indigo is for everbody, Mac/Win, AMD, Nvidia, so, offers several unbias technologies (indoor usually does not use GPU!). The development speed looks interesting.

IRay, Indigo - are unbias renders. True unbias. Octane is optimized a bit - it results in hotspots.

True unbias are pretty fast for blurry effects and so on. Itīs faster for editing, slower for rendering. Itīs allways about human hours/computing hours.

Sometimes is better non unbias, somtimes unbias. I preffere, for stills (design and so on), unbias.

here is the conclusion of the article I wrote on Indigo:

"So, we are at the end, I think. We know almost everything we need to know to start playing with the renderer. If I may, here is a short conclusion, milestones, why I like the Indigo Renderer. The first, Indigo, or for me, Cindigo, is really a very solid and universal application for both main platforms, Windows and Mac OS. Another advantage of the renderer is that the path tracing mode can use your GPU as well and it supports both main platforms, Nvidia CUDA and OpenCL, so you can use AMD GPU as well.

I like Cindigo's excellent support for instances, Indigo materials are very complex and have very complex editing options, but I would like to be a bit more user friendly. When editing these materials, especially coating and so on, I see them as a node system. The material mixing is a powerfull feature of Indigo.

I love the post rendering adjustment options, light layers, and I'm happy they implemented depth, material ID and shadow passes as well. There are only a few of them at the moment, but it's the right way how to shift the app to the new amazing level."

CINEMA 4D "semi"-unbiased rendering tutorial

http://www.c4d.cz

Last edited by pzdm : 05-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
humanesthetik
Scout
portfolio
nicolas
own
caen, France

Very interesting exemples, the transparent platics are very realistic. Is Indigo realtime unbiased for editing, like Octane or Cycles? Today i still use c4d internal render to do some pharma product shots like this, and if there is lot of transparent plastics translucent or sss effects it's kind of nightmare and time consumming testing rendering so, because they wont change my MAC today, i'm trying Blender Cycles now, exporting c4d to Blender, to taste freely the power of unbiased renderers, and i have to say that now i can't return to c4d internal or physical render for this kind of shots. But I will love to see that kind of realtime CPU /GPU or both directly in the core of c4d.

I have to make pharma products and comsetic products and because we have lot of 3d to do, today we work on indesign and illustrator and i use indesignscript to extract indesign layers to psd layers and illustrator layers to psd layers to isolate the different print effects. C4d work fine with big psd and it's great but i don't know if indigo can use big psd too?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #19
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Sounds like this would make for another nice video tutorial, Pavel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzdm
Hi

many thanks, so, I have started from a simple flat object - polygon. The object I made was prepared accordingly to the texture of the pack. Next step - rotate all sides, subdivide the surface, finish the shape, use the texture of the pack as a texture of the object as well, adjust UV mesh (the UV mesh is really very simple, select all polygons of the side, use the frontal projection (use suitable view) and deselect all inner (and well projected) UV polygons). Relax the rest (pin to neighbours). Use realign on the end, connect islands accordingly to the texture/pack. Thatīs all.

P

Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
vertigoz
PRO
Nuno Costa
conceptual
Arazede, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanesthetik
Very interesting exemples, the transparent platics are very realistic. Is Indigo realtime unbiased for editing, like Octane or Cycles?

Say you export the studio scene, you can then in Indigo tweak at will the materials, and lights. Sadly it won't revert back for Cinema, but you can still save the scene in indigo.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread