cindigo - real job using

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
cindigo - real job using

Hi there

I have tested the Indigo render and used it for the job

here is the result

A conclusion

really nice renderer, you can stop a process and continue from saved file, really nice feature, and change color layers (I love it).

P

CINEMA 4D "semi"-unbiased rendering tutorial

http://www.c4d.cz

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Nice results Pzdm!

OT question though; what's your workflow regarding modelling those packs?
It looks like the actual dieline was used to realistically fold the cardboard into a box
instead of a simple cube with a texture slapped onto each facing.

Would you mind sharing your technique?

[UP]

Old 05 May 2013   #3
box

Originally Posted by [UP]: Nice results Pzdm!

OT question though; what's your workflow regarding modelling those packs?
It looks like the actual dieline was used to realistically fold the cardboard into a box
instead of a simple cube with a texture slapped onto each facing.

Would you mind sharing your technique?

[UP]

Hi

many thanks, so, I have started from a simple flat object - polygon. The object I made was prepared accordingly to the texture of the pack. Next step - rotate all sides, subdivide the surface, finish the shape, use the texture of the pack as a texture of the object as well, adjust UV mesh (the UV mesh is really very simple, select all polygons of the side, use the frontal projection (use suitable view) and deselect all inner (and well projected) UV polygons). Relax the rest (pin to neighbours). Use realign on the end, connect islands accordingly to the texture/pack. Thatīs all.

P

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Excellent work. Wondering about Octane now. Not sure my gear meets the spec.

Any info you'd like to share on the lighting materials and rendering setup? Are the Octane settings of the same level of complexity as VRAY/MR?

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: Excellent work. Wondering about Octane now. Not sure my gear meets the spec.

Any info you'd like to share on the lighting materials and rendering setup? Are the Octane settings of the same level of complexity as VRAY/MR?

I believe he was using the Indigo Renderer, rather than Octane (see thread title).

Old 05 May 2013   #6
I'm holding out for the Arnold renderer later this year. Everything I've seen and heard about it is spectacular, easy and fast. Octane is crazy fast but has limitations from testing some files (like volumetrics). Unless you've bought an Nvidia card in the last year, you don't have the horsepower for it. Your entire scene is processed on the card so you need a crazy amount of ram on your card.

Really nice work! I was able to achieve a similar frosted transparent plastic look in Cinema which didn't completely kill render times. I'm still shocked at how long reflections take to render in Cinema, even with only a couple of ray bounces.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Originally Posted by pzdm: Hi

many thanks, so, I have started from a simple flat object - polygon. The object I made was prepared accordingly to the texture of the pack. Next step - rotate all sides, subdivide the surface, finish the shape, use the texture of the pack as a texture of the object as well, adjust UV mesh (the UV mesh is really very simple, select all polygons of the side, use the frontal projection (use suitable view) and deselect all inner (and well projected) UV polygons). Relax the rest (pin to neighbours). Use realign on the end, connect islands accordingly to the texture/pack. Thatīs all.

P

Thanks a bunch for sharing Pavel!
[UP]

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I believe he was using the Indigo Renderer, rather than Octane (see thread title).

Whoops typed too quickly--I meant Indigo

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Arnold

Originally Posted by Troyan: I'm holding out for the Arnold renderer later this year. Everything I've seen and heard about it is spectacular, easy and fast. Octane is crazy fast but has limitations from testing some files (like volumetrics). Unless you've bought an Nvidia card in the last year, you don't have the horsepower for it. Your entire scene is processed on the card so you need a crazy amount of ram on your card.

Really nice work! I was able to achieve a similar frosted transparent plastic look in Cinema which didn't completely kill render times. I'm still shocked at how long reflections take to render in Cinema, even with only a couple of ray bounces.

Octane is really cool, but Indigo is more "hardware/OS" flexible. It uses OpenCL/CUDA/CPU, lights layers, you can stop/save/load the computed image and continue. Thatīs nice.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Originally Posted by pzdm: Octane is really cool, but Indigo is more "hardware/OS" flexible. It uses OpenCL/CUDA/CPU, lights layers, you can stop/save/load the computed image and continue. Thatīs nice.

The ability to stop/save/load is awesome and used to use that all the time back in "The Day" with Strata Studio Pro. Can't understand why Cinema can't implement that feature. So Indigo is a hybrid renderer? How does the speed compare to Vray?
HyperactiveVR

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Troyan: I'm holding out for the Arnold renderer later this year.

Is it coming for Cinema 4D?

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durden: Is it coming for Cinema 4D?

Oh, you funny Dr. Jones.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durden: Is it coming for Cinema 4D?

It was basically written by one dude who's making a fortune from building versions for specific studios pipelines. Naturally he's working on commercial versions for Maya and Max but he's making a core standalone that may have a Mac version. Trying to find more out.
HyperactiveVR

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Really interesting, let us know, what you find!

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durden: Really interesting, let us know, what you find!

I thought you were involved to some degree from your post here? (thus my jest earlier).

Thread Closed share thread