Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
grreez
portfolio
United Kingdom

C4D or Maya (decision making)

Hi everybody,

I' Here's my question, which is directed to people who have experience with both C4D and Maya.
(Please, this is a sincere tech question, not a quest for insults on either software.)

I am a visual artist and most of the time i use traditional media like oils, clay, stone etc and also got a few years of experience with Zbrush.
Now i would like to get a bit deeper into rigging and animation as i really would love to reproduce some of my work using a decent 3D software.

I also have taken a quick look at Cinema 4d and Maya. I am either going to learn Maya or C4D. I have gotten to know Cinema 4D a bit and think I like it but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, to aid my buying decision.

Take care.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Cactus Dan
Of the West

Cactus Dan Libisch
Freelance Character TD
Ferron, USA

Howdy,

Well, that's really a decision you'll need to make yourself by trying the demo of each application.

For someone like me, where the cost of the software is a big factor, I'm perfectly satisfied with using the Cinema 4D Prime version ($995) plus my CD Character Rigging plugins to do all of my character rigging and animation work. Since my plugins have a Runtime feature, clients for whom I do work need not worry about having to purchase the plugins to use the files I create with them.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 05-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
ilay
Lord of the posts
Ilay
Engineer
Kazakhstan

Hi
Can you analyze your labor market and make decision?
For example i'm moving to maya > i currently work at company which linked with ad's products in pipeline. So i left c4d and this is not only one reason to move, i completely disappointed by c4d(hardly to translate expressions to english)

Last edited by ilay : 05-19-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
jumamu
Frequenter
portfolio
Juha M
Oulu, Finland

Well... Maya is slower to learn IMO and it is slow to use, but Maya can handle complex scenes (like crowd simulations), there are many plugins for crowd simulation for maya.

But in C4D you can rig, animate and make simple scenes in short time.
C4D has also muscle tools for your characters, but Maya has more accurate muscle simulations.

In Maya you may have to buy many plugins (but it is not maybe a bad thing, because you have so large collection to choose your favorite plugins for character animation).
In C4D there are not that much character plugins, but C4D already has quite much features inside, like tension tag which can be used with xpresso to generate "fat deformations" which you have to do for example in Maya with f-stretch plugin.

C4D is also more stable than Maya, but Maya can handle big / large scenes and complex rigs (many muscles) with multithreading.

C4D has also Cmotion which make walk cycles easily, and it is easy to learn and fast to use.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

There are already several threads about this here if you do a search. My answer is 'it depends'. If you hope to work in an animation studio then you'll probably end up working in Maya as the industry is very much based around it. If you are working on commercials or mograph stuff then C4D is a better one to learn.

Regarding stuff like rigging, C4D makes it easier to set up a rig quickly if you use the built-in rig templates, where with Maya you need to get an auto rigger tool (loads of them out there both free or paid) or learn scripting to have an efficient workflow. I'd argue that if you are willing to learn a little MEL or Python you then have deeper control than you have in Cinema as Mayas nodal architecture is more 'open' IMO. The fact that it's nodal also means you can mix stuff more, ie you can have a cloth sim applied directly to a rigged mesh and blend how much the cloth affects it, not something really possible with Cinemas cloth system.
So, in a nutshell - C4D = Easier, gentle learning curve, Maya = Deeper control if you are willing to roll your sleeves up.

As for stability, I don't see a huge difference to be honest in daily use. Maya 2011 was pretty crash prone for me, but newer versions are pretty solid generally, apart from the initial releases (usually true for C4D too, the first point update of either app usually fixes a ton of bugs).

Really though they have more similarities than they have differences in my opinion, at least in the general concepts needed to use them. So if you learn one now it's really not that difficult to pick up the other somewhere along the line. I use both here and jump back and forth a lot.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 05-19-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
AntimatterVFX
Know-it-All
portfolio
A Nobody
Antimatter
Uncanny Valley, United Kingdom

Download the demos but make sure you download Softimage and give it a go, you might be surprised by what you find. I've had a eureka moment with it and now understand why people who use it enjoy it so much.

In a more just parallel universe everyone is using Softimage and Maya is barely mentioned on the Autodesk website.

CMotion looked like it was the start of crowd tools coming to C4D but instead of kicking on with development....brakes get applied.....Check out CrowdFX to see what happens when an idea is followed through to conclusion.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimatterVFX
CMotion looked like it was the start of crowd tools coming to C4D.

I doubt Maxon will develop crowd tools, I imagine it will be left to 3rd party plugin devs. One thing it would do is shine a light on probably the biggest weakness of Cinema - it really slows down with a lot of objects in the scene. I think they'd really need to address that before implementing a crowd system unless they could come up with a really clever instancing system that would allow variations (mograph proxies don't AFAIK).

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by grreez
I am a visual artist and most of the time i use traditional media like oils, clay, stone etc and also got a few years of experience with Zbrush.

One other point - if you are leaning more towards the art side than the technical, then C4D may be the better choice, in my opinion it's much easier to be a generalist in C4D than Maya. Generally most studios that use Maya for most tasks will have different people that handle different tasks, like modeling, lighting, animation, rendering etc. Cinema offers an easier end-to-end workflow and it's easier for an individual to become competent in all stages of that process.

I've been learning Mental Ray (the renderer that ships with Maya) recently and while I love some of the control I can get (render layers are awesome) a lot of time seems to get used up solving stupid little issues that I just don't have to deal with if using Cinemas render engines.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 05-19-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
jumamu
Frequenter
portfolio
Juha M
Oulu, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
One other point - if you are leaning more towards the art side than the technical, then C4D may be the better choice, in my opinion it's much easier to be a generalist in C4D than Maya. Generally most studios that use Maya for most tasks will have different people that handle different tasks, like modeling, lighting, animation, rendering etc. Cinema offers an easier end-to-end workflow and it's easier for an individual to become competent in all stages of that process.

I've been learning Mental Ray (the renderer that ships with Maya) recently and while I love some of the control I can get (render layers are awesome) a lot of time seems to get used up solving stupid little issues that I just don't have to deal with if using Cinemas render engines.

Cheers,
Brian

Yup... That's true. Those corporations which do use Maya - they have different artist for different jobs.. Lighting, rendering, modeller, textures, animation, simulation, particles, sculpting. And yes, in C4D it is easier to learn to do all these things because of low learning curve so it is great software for "All in one" artist ... Like i do, i want to do everything by myself and that's one reason to choose C4D. Maya is also too slow to use when you want to create "simple" motion graphics animations.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
grreez
portfolio
United Kingdom

Wink thank you guys

hello guys
thank you for your replies.
I do appreciate your great help with this decision.
I have installed both, C4D and Maya trials and subscribed on digital tutors which are very good apparently.
I do like both c4d and maya, the second one seem having more options like nurbs and some other cool things, and the materials look more realistic too.
You must think i'm crazy but decided to invest in both maya and c4...
believe me or not i am a very quick learner.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by grreez
You must think i'm crazy but decided to invest in both maya and c4...

Doesn't sound crazy to me, I think they compliment each other very well.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread