DEM Earth available.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Paul I'm really sorry I'm apparently winding you up over this!!?
That is not my intention, and all I'm doing is expressing what has already been expressed by others regarding GigaShader, and the complexity of using what wasn't the cheapest of plugins!

I've repeatedly complimented you on the effort and skill in this, and can see that this apparently is a much better, usable solution, as gas also been verified by others here, who also had the same issues previously!

I'm not trolling, I have no reason to do so! - I was merely asking you some pertinent questions about the plugin, and expressing the concerns I had previously with GigaShader.
I don't know what other threads you are referring to either, but if I simply asked 'what happened to GigaShader?' - I wasn't trying to annoy, I just wanted a straight answer.

Lower your defences, I'm not attacking you, but I'm allowed to point out where I think your support/guide could be better! - I'm not the only one asking these things, I'm just getting to the point.

It looks great ( I say again! ), I think it will be really useful, and I'm mist likely going to buy it, but it's clear I'm best not to ask you about it if I get stuck.

All the best,
Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

05 May 2013
Blimey, who'd be a plugin developer...

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by AntimatterVFX: Blimey, who'd be a plugin developer...

Marketing experts need not apply, apparently. :-D

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by belushy: get a account at
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/urs/profile
login @
Global Data Explorer (Powered by GeoBrain)

define area by country or draw a rectangle on the area you are interested in
click download -- Wait until the servers compresses a ZIP with selected Tiles
Watchout for the size it can fast turn into a huge download
( p.e. don't download USA in one step)

extract files
delete all Tifs with *num*.tif
delete all pdfs

Optional compress individuall tif's
(p.e ASTGTM2_N46E012_dem.tif to ASTGTM2_N46E012_dem.zip)
the plugin reads the zips as well as the tifs.(saves Ram paul said)

keep all 30m files in a folder on HD (point to the folder Within the C4D prefs.)

DONE

or use Pauls server hassle free

both is very easy

This process seems pretty straight forward - haven't been able to purchase due to other expenses just yet, thanks for the link, belushy! NASA produces some cool stuff for the public.

I can get all the 30m and 90m data that I need for free from Nasa's server? Cool beans.

Last edited by Venkman : 05 May 2013 at 09:18 PM.

05 May 2013
quick question.
would any of you be interested in a full featured KML importer as an addon for DEM Earth.
I've added this as an idea on uservoice..Please vote or say your peice on this one if you would like to see it.

regards
Paul Everett

05 May 2013
DEM Earth : second update

Another DEM Earth update has been released.

To get the update just go to the DEM Earth prefs and click on the "check for updates" button.

Paul Everett
DEM Earth
www.cinemaplugins.com

-------------------------
Version 1.04 - Quick Fix
Fixed - DEM files not found in 'tex' folder.
Fixed - Coverage Command now finds files in your 90m folder (e.g.N00W079.hgt.zip)
Interface - Coverage Command , now shows transparent tiles.

Version 1.03 - First update (stability update)

Fixed - possible crash bug when using large subdivisions.
Fixed - crash bug entering bounds larger than allowed.
Fixed - when using shift + mouse pointer to center the region,if offset was applied, the result was wrong.
Interface - changed the default GUI for llat/lon to d/m/s , you can manually change back to simple degrees.This is needed to correctly represent coordinates.
Interface - changed the layout to better fit NSEW with d/m/s GUI
Interface - minor changes.

Version 1.02 - public release.

Last edited by tapaul : 05 May 2013 at 11:34 AM.

05 May 2013
Hi Paul,

The update gave me a little problem on OSX. The updatebutton was indeed working and updated the plugin in the (hidden) MAXON-library where also the preferences are stored. But the plugin in the default pluginsfolder was not updated so I had to do this by hand. I have a default install, no new names or folderlocations. Did I install it incorrect maybe?

Thanks!

odo

05 May 2013
It downloads the file to your prefs folder and opens it in finder. from there you just close c4d and extract the file to your plugin folder( like you did the first time you installed) All its doing is delivering the file to you. you still have to do the update,as ever.(for now)

regards
Paul

06 June 2013
DEM Earth update 1.05

I have posted another update, to version 1.05 , which amongst other things adds the GeoPoint Converter command which, if you have the OSM importer, lets you map OSM onto DEM Earth.

regards
Paul Everett

Last edited by tapaul : 06 June 2013 at 01:39 PM.

06 June 2013
I have put a short tutorial up on vimeo showing the process...

I have also updated OSM importer today, if anyone is interested.

regards
Paul Everett

06 June 2013
This is brilliant Paul. Thank you for such a useful and easy to use feature.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by tapaul: >...snip
The world of GIS is horrible, it is not meant for the average C4D user, Nobody,tells you anything, its like a closed shop.You want to know something you have to search hard, ask, pay or learn.
DEM Earth is a solution to this problem. It does not solve all the problems of this world, but its as good and as easy to use as it gets.

regards
Paul Everett

I have to agree with Paul here. If you ask someone to do what DEM Earth or OSM Importer does using ARCGIS or whatever, you will get a blank look and then your choices are:

1 -Go ask the city or jurisdiction for the 3D information you need - Most likely none will have 3D information that you can just download with the area that you need very easily if at all

2 -Use Google to research the info - Chances are you will spend hours and not find anything.

I went through this when I was looking for 3D information on Las Vegas. Nothing on the internet and nothing through any city governmental agency. OSM Importer got me what I needed and if I need the 3D terrain, you better bet DEM Earth will be what I purchase to do it.

Spread the word, let other GIS folks know about DEM Earth. The more users there are, the better Paul is able to expand what this plugin is capable of doing.

06 June 2013
version 1.06

Versoin 1.06 will be online soon which amongst other things , adds some nifty new features.

SubSampleNoise - In one foul swoop, solves a common problem with this kind of work when the polygon resolution is higher than the DEM data resolution.

LOD focus - Lets you focus the concentration of polygons on what the camera is looking at.This lets you focus the polygon detail in the area where you need it most.

1.06 will be online shortly.

regards
Paul Everett
www.cinemaplugins.com

06 June 2013
I want to buy this but I'm struggling to make a VERY expensive office return that will free up my funds for the plugin (gotta love fine print on purchases). Just a quick question:

Using Belushy's method detailed earlier in the thread here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...13&postcount=23

Will this allow me to get 3d data for free? Even if it doesn't include imagery, I'm ok with that. If I ever need that I'd subscribe to Paul's service to get it, and I can always throw shaders on the geometry and go for a more illustrated look.

06 June 2013
>Will this allow me to get 3d data for free?

yes.
When you buy DEM Earth you also get a Dropbox link which contains a bunch of tutorials,example scenes and information, and amongst other things, there is a video tut showing how to get and prep DEM data yourself.

regards
Paul

Last edited by tapaul : 06 June 2013 at 07:35 PM.

Thread Closed share thread