tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

>process of locating the dens or sat images
DEMS
90m is automatic, the plugin does it for you.
30m if you still don't know where to get these, just subscribe to the server.

I do explain breifly in the quickstart how to obtain 30m DEM data, yourself. Don't expect a book on the topic.If you have no idea what you are doing, just use the server.That is exactly why it is there. If your a pro, its a no brainer time/money.Why would you want to spend hours and days downloading data? If your an expert, sure, you can do it all yourself, it is easy, if you have the time.

SAT images.
Check out MapMart..
or
Google for "Ultimate Maps Downloader".I have linked to it many times.Buy it.Install windows.Use it.There is nothing to learn and it needs no explanation beyond the help of that particular application. Drag dop the resulting pgw file into C4D and DEM earth magically does the rest.it honestly does not get any simpler than that.
or
buy Global Mapper..
or
buy ArchGIS..
or
use google.

regards
Paul

Last edited by tapaul : 05-15-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

or you can use GeoFuse..

zoom in a few levels
drop a marker
on the left, click on details for an image and select "view image meta data"
download and save both the IMAGE_FILE_URL and the WORLD_FILE_URL to the same folder.
"simply" drag and drop that world file(*.jgw) into C4D and DEM Earth will construct the landscape and georeference the image for you.You can do this for multiple images, combining many tiles into one scene.

That gives you access to useful sat images for pretty much the entire planet, complete with a jgw world file, which is perfect for use with DEM Earth.

Regards
Paul Everett

Last edited by tapaul : 05-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
belushy
Frequenter

portfolio
Florian Frey
Industrial designer
studiobaff.com
Vienna, Austria

Thumbs up real great Plugin

I used Gigashader already but this is really a time saver. no more endless searches and try and error.
Just get a geotiff with reference and you are all set. You can tile multiple Resolutions and multiple textures(tiles) with different world positions automatically on the dem surface.

like google maps 3d for C4d
works with vray too

sorry for my enthusiasm but this setup works in less then 10min for the first time and less than 2min if you know how it works

Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
kromekat
Daydreamer

portfolio
Adam Benton
Freelance CG Artist
kromekat digital media
United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to kromekat Send a message via Yahoo to kromekat
Thanks Paul,

Sounds like a plan - Ill try at least to locate these files using the methods you mentioned.

Now if I could just get a demo!?

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapaul
or you can use GeoFuse..

zoom in a few levels
drop a marker
on the left, click on details for an image and select "view image meta data"
download and save both the IMAGE_FILE_URL and the WORLD_FILE_URL to the same folder.
"simply" drag and drop that world file(*.jgw) into C4D and DEM Earth will construct the landscape and georeference the image for you.You can do this for multiple images, combining many tiles into one scene.

That gives you access to useful sat images for pretty much the entire planet, complete with a jgw world file, which is perfect for use with DEM Earth.

Regards
Paul Everett

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
TBA3D
PRO
portfolio
Thomas Belitzki
Hamburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromekat
Thanks Paul,

Sounds like a plan - Ill try at least to locate these files using the methods you mentioned.

Now if I could just get a demo!?

Adam

I donīt know, if there is a Demo, but as a mac user (like me) you can now be sure thatīs the plugin is working fine with these great GeoFuse pipeline!
It is very, very easy now

Old 05-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Looks awesome Paul, congratulations on the release!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
Jim-H
PRO
portfolio
James Hall
USA

Anxiously awaiting your video tutorial on the manual 30m process. Followed your quick start 13 steps and it doesn't seem to work for me. Each time I select a region and try to download selected region it comes up blank.

When making the video don't assume anything. Just pick a random 30m location and show ALL steps involved to build the terrain and acquiring sat imagery to match.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
belushy
Frequenter

portfolio
Florian Frey
Industrial designer
studiobaff.com
Vienna, Austria

30m files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-H
Anxiously awaiting your video tutorial on the manual 30m process. Followed your quick start 13 steps and it doesn't seem to work for me. Each time I select a region and try to download selected region it comes up blank.

When making the video don't assume anything. Just pick a random 30m location and show ALL steps involved to build the terrain and acquiring sat imagery to match.

get a account at
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/urs/profile
login @
Global Data Explorer (Powered by GeoBrain)

define area by country or draw a rectangle on the area you are interested in
click download -- Wait until the servers compresses a ZIP with selected Tiles
Watchout for the size it can fast turn into a huge download
( p.e. don't download USA in one step)

extract files
delete all Tifs with *num*.tif
delete all pdfs

Optional compress individuall tif's
(p.e ASTGTM2_N46E012_dem.tif to ASTGTM2_N46E012_dem.zip)
the plugin reads the zips as well as the tifs.(saves Ram paul said)

keep all 30m files in a folder on HD (point to the folder Within the C4D prefs.)

DONE

or use Pauls server hassle free

both is very easy

Last edited by belushy : 05-17-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Jim-H
PRO
portfolio
James Hall
USA

@belushy

I've followed all those steps and for some reason was not producing any data. Maybe I was selecting too small of an area.

At one time it downloaded on ASTGM_dem file which I extracted and recompressed the tiff files. From this point how do you load the data into the Dem Earth Object. Is it with the "Coverage Command"?

I'm sure once you do it a few times it will seem simple and easy. But when things aren't working, it can be frustrating. There's very little documentation.

A few minutes of a video tutorial I'm sure would clear things up.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

Ive sent out a dropbox link to all buyers , which contains a video tutorial on how to obtain the tiles yourself, where to put them and how to compress them.

regards
Paul Everett

p.s.
>I'm sure once you do it a few times it will seem simple and easy. But when things aren't >working, it can be frustrating. There's very little documentation.

thats is exactly why I put the server in place.Nobody is gonna hand walk you through any of this.I have provided more than enough information. Other products that cost 10 x more money dont tell you anything at all. Welcome to the world of GIS.

Ive explained it in the quckstart.
its been explained here.
I have now provided a video TUT on how to do it.

if you still dont get it, just subscribe to the server and stop messing around. it is dirt cheep. you get 6 months access for 59 EUR and your trying to download this stuff yourself?
look at the video and try to grasp how much work I (and the great guys that helped me )put into making this data accessable for you.

Please, try to understand what a fantastic deal this server access is for you.
go here.. and take a look at what DEM data costs and ask yourself why you are are not supporting this DEM server project and if perhaps your time is better spent, not downloading these DEMS by hand.

Last edited by tapaul : 05-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #26
kromekat
Daydreamer

portfolio
Adam Benton
Freelance CG Artist
kromekat digital media
United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to kromekat Send a message via Yahoo to kromekat
Paul,

I don't think anybody is underestimating both the amount of time, skill and energy that has gone into making this plugin, and its quite clear how brilliant and useful it could be!

I think the few people (including myself) who have/had concerns are simply wanting to make sure they are not buying into something that doesn't live up to their hopes, because the additional stuff is just too complicated to make happen. Now, that said, with everything you have outlined here, your quickstart and the vid tutorial, I am very hopeful it would all be fairly straight forward after a couple of goes!

Most here may have bought several other plugins from you over the years, and there's no doubt on their strengths. Where I, and possibly others have felt a bit unsupported in the past is with a lack of 'assume the user knows nothing' information, which I am sure can seem irritating to yourself at times, but IMO is part of your obligation to any customer to provide.

Personally, i'm going to check out these links and info you have provided this week to locate and download the files, and will then hopefully look at buying the plugin very soon! - this is why though, I requested a demo both here and via email, since i'd feel more confident in the purchase 'knowing' i could use it as I'd like!

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

>but IMO is part of your obligation to any customer to provide.
If I sell you a keyboard, is it my job to teach you to write?

sorry, but it is not my job to teach anyone how to do GIS. I also don't want to tell you or anyone else everything I know and I won't. It is an incredibly complicated area of work, full of pitfalls and gotchas and you have to pay for everything.
Have you actually looked at any of the links I have posted? have you looked at the prices? Do you realize what others are asking for nothign but images and DEM data? they sell you a single image for a small fortune.A small DEM data , for an arm and a leg. you spend a fortune and all you have is data and an image. You then need more software and knowledge to convert that into a static mesh that you might be able to bring into c4d. and thats all you have. a mesh.you ten have to manualy place the sat image. Where is the problem Adam? you can do this with DEM Earth in 10 seconds and your giving me a hard time?

Adam, even if you spend thousands on GIS software, there is no software out there that is going to take you by the hand and show you how to do everything(or anything at all).They are tools.Take a look at Global Mapper, get the demo. Get ArcGIS , its 100$ for the basic version.but it is awful enough that it might bump you in the head and wake you up.
These are the best there is. They are both,technically incrediable.But try and use them, they both shine in being absolutly horrible and incredibaly overcomlicated, but they both can do great things in the right hands. Do they teach you how? no they don't. Do they have video tuts? absolutly NOT. Do they give you step by step guides for a process? forget it. You have to bring something to the table or start learning.Otherwise you will not get any use out of either.

The world of GIS is horrible, it is not meant for the average C4D user, Nobody,tells you anything, its like a closed shop.You want to know something you have to search hard, ask, pay or learn.
DEM Earth is a solution to this problem. It does not solve all the problems of this world, but its as good and as easy to use as it gets.

regards
Paul Everett

Last edited by tapaul : 05-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
bbuxton
Frequenter

Brian Buxton
London, United Kingdom

I think the big misconception with Paul's plugin is the expectation that it will be as free and accessible as Google Earth. It is not the same thing - can you use dynamics with Google Earth or render it with adv render / vray without a ton of work or breaking Googles terms and conditions??

It really is super easy. Paul has done 90% the difficult bit for you, trust me I'm about as luddite as it gets with this sort of thing and I'm getting great landscapes literally just drag and drop to do something that would take forever or would be beyond my capabilities.

I had a terrible time with the Gigashaders - mostly because I was expecting access to high res sat data for free, I thought I was getting Google Earth inside Cinema 4D. What I have learned since is that the most astonishing thing about this plugin is that it is not at least 5 or 10 times the price and that I don't have to be a GIS expert to use it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best way to use this plugin is to follow Paul's instructions for grabbing the sat images - understanding that they are a very low res preview of what is being sold ie 1 pixel is around 15m - 30m for a product that can be as much as 1 pixel to 0.5m.

For many projects 15m sat data is enough and if you don't want to trawl through mapmart etc then you could get
http://www.earthondrive.com/index.p...product_id=6903 for $322.55
plus the cost of a hard drive for them to ship it on.
They also sell
http://www.earthondrive.com/index.p...product_id=6915
for $648 plus the cost of a very big hard drive.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #29
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Listen everyone, if bbuxton is defending DEM Earth the there's no reason not to go with Paul on this one. Hell has frozen over.

Sorry no offence, Brian, but I remember the old threads where you expressed your opinion about Gigashader and Paul. I'm just imagining how awesome DEM Earth must really be to have won you over!

Another great release Paul! Looking forward to purchasing this before the early bird offer expires.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #30
bbuxton
Frequenter

Brian Buxton
London, United Kingdom

No offence taken.

Most of my problems with Gigashaders were not understanding how difficult it can be to obtain the satellite imagery especially on the Mac platform. I didn't have anything against Paul, in fact have admired his plugins for years, even before moving to Cinema 4D - when I was a Lightwave user. But that misunderstanding cost me quite a lot of money and perhaps because of this I was more vocal than was necessary.

At the time Paul needed a disclaimer but I don't think that this is the case anymore. He has provided good links to obtain sat imagery and has been clear about how expensive it can be - especially if you want 0.5m to the pixel.

Anyway DemEarth is an incredible product and to be blunt Paul is selling it far too cheaply. Really get your orders in quick before he sees sense and adds a zero on the end of that price.
The server access is incredibly cheap too.

Last edited by bbuxton : 05-18-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Thread Closed share thread