CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
neitrok
Frequenter
jiri koten
prague / vienna, Czech Republic

If I understand it correctly Cinema 4D Lite will be ready to use for everybody using Adobe products.
Jiri

Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
e[dub]
phong sway

Erik West
Honolulu, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepshade

Once the CS6 apps ceased to be supported the simple truth is you will have to pay Adobe forever just to be able to do your job. You will have no choice in budgeting as you wish, the bill will have to be paid every month, forever, or your software will stop and files will be uneditable.

wow.... this is depressing.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Files are uneditable? As in a photoshop file created with the new CC, will not be able to be read by anyone else?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
squidinc
3D invertebrate

portfolio
Mike Robinson
IT something or other..
Rhyl, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
Files are uneditable? As in a photoshop file created with the new CC, will not be able to be read by anyone else?

there's no way it's like that, even Adobe wouldn't be that stupid

think he just means you wont have photoshop or whatever, so you wont be able to edit them.. someone else with photoshop wont have a problem

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
NWoolridge
Expert

Quote:

Adobe has always maintained pretty good backwards compatibility with photoshop files, in that a "composite" (flattened) version of the image is saved by default that will be readable by older versions of photoshop...

But, newer features (such as the Adobe RAW as filter feature of PS CC) will not be editable by older versions, nor will some of the other new features.

Other applications, like Indesign, will produce project files that are completely incompatible with older (CS 6 and earlier) versions.

So, depending upon which apps you use, it really may be as bad as this: once your subscription runs out, you can't access your CC files.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidinc
there's no way it's like that, even Adobe wouldn't be that stupid

think he just means you wont have photoshop or whatever, so you wont be able to edit them.. someone else with photoshop wont have a problem

That's what I thought. The main thread in cgnews has people up in arms - and some of them have been saying that when your software is inactive, your files become unreadable. That would be suicide for Adobe from a business standpoint.

I'm just going to avoid that thread from now on. People are angry and it isn't helping the spread of the right information.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
AntimatterVFX
Know-it-All
portfolio
A Nobody
Antimatter
Uncanny Valley, United Kingdom

Creative Cloud files will not be backwardly compatible, the best you can do is view the files in a browser using CC sharing but CS6 will not read CC files even if there's no new features used in the file.

If you're sending files to a client who isn't on CC then you're stuffed.

Everybody has to be CC. It's the new mantra.

Last edited by AntimatterVFX : 05-07-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimatterVFX
Creative Cloud files will not be backwardly compatible, the best you can do is view the files in a browser using CC sharing but CS6 will not read CC files.

If you're sending files to a client who isn't on CC then you're stuffed.

I have that problem now. We are on CS 5, and it isn't the most recent version. Some of the places we work with are sending us new files we can't read and we have to ask them to save it down.

Of course, this will become a bigger issue in the future and old versions no longer run on newer hardware and OS releases, but isn't that also a problem right now? On the mac especially since it switched from OS9 to X, and from PPC to Intel processors. Old software literally can't run on new macs.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
AntimatterVFX
Know-it-All
portfolio
A Nobody
Antimatter

Quote:
I have that problem now. We are on CS 5, and it isn't the most recent version. Some of the places we work with are sending us new files we can't read and we have to ask them to save it down.

Of course, this will become a bigger issue in the future and old versions no longer run on newer hardware and OS releases, but isn't that also a problem right now? On the mac especially since it switched from OS9 to X, and from PPC to Intel processors. Old software literally can't run on new macs.

I don't think you can save it down a version in CC. That's the real bummer for people, CC is designed to get everyone onto the crack and not be able to get off it.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #25
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
I don't think you can save it down a version in CC. That's the real bummer for people, CC is designed to get everyone onto the crack and not be able to get off it.

Ah, I can see why people would be pissed, then. That just seems like adobe sticking their finger in customers' eyes.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
e[dub]
phong sway

Erik West
Honolulu, USA

it wasn't even the file compatibility issue that I was responding to - it was this:

"... the bill will have to be paid every month, forever..."

the days of owning a certain version of a software, and using it for several years (because of no apparent need to upgrade), has now been made obsolete. Just keep ponying up that cash if you want to use the software

... kinda makes me sick.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #27
Mike Abbott
Mike Abbott
United Kingdom

Quote:
I don't think you can save it down a version in CC...

Not that I'm a fan of CC - but that's actually incorrect info.

See the Adobe FAQ: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Quote:
"Many of the Creative Cloud desktop applications provide the ability to export files to the Creative Suite 6 version of that same application. This allows you to export your work to Creative Suite 6, which is available via a perpetual software license.Adobe plans to continue to support the ability to export to Creative Suite 6 in applications where it is available when it ships. New features added to the desktop applications after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or supported by the Creative Suite 6 application"
EndQuote

Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #28
Hilt
Reality? Not worth it.

mj
3D/VFX/Post/Sherpa
InfoFrame
Helsinki, Finland

Just because Adobe is utterly unable to create useable UI to their products, I dont think I be hopping in their update-wagon anytime soon. Adobe is just like that catholic priest that inspired many but molested only one - a hodgepodge of good and bad and utterly weird. I know AE pretty throughly but there is not a single click of a mouse I like spending in it. Guess Ae is a "must", just like all the other things in life before you realize the alternatives. Unfortunately in motion graphics that software is considered as must - yet another reason not to like those hipster 2D people.

I'm somewhat happy with my current Adobe line of products: Ps Cs4, AE Cs5, Ai Cs4 and Lightroom ("happy" meaning they work like they were planned to, and I'm used to them and nowadays rarely kill my keyboard because of said softwares). Of those programs, I actually like Lightroom, the rest are there solely because of must. If Ps is 20€/month (or whatever its price will be), I highly doubt I'll be spending over 6€ every time I launch the software (three times a month is pretty accurate average). My use for PS is mainly combining layers and masking, I do color correction and such post production elsewhere whenever I have the chance. Adobe oughta pay me for using that PoS AE. Premiere is still that pompous kid that thinks he is able to handle real productions. InDesign is powerful but printing is not my cup of xpresso. If 2D was anything like 3D as business, we'd have more software to choose from - and quite frankly Adobe wouldn't be doing that great at all.

Monthly fee for Adobe products? That's a ridiculous idea to say the least, April 1st news. I think I buy me a used Cs5/Cs6 suite of some sort and seriously start looking for replacement software. I pray companies (in and outside of 3D/post) do the same so it is not just us freelancing weirdos that need to rebel.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #29
AntimatterVFX
Know-it-All
portfolio
A Nobody
Antimatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott
Not that I'm a fan of CC - but that's actually incorrect info.

See the Adobe FAQ: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Quote:
"Many of the Creative Cloud desktop applications provide the ability to export files to the Creative Suite 6 version of that same application. This allows you to export your work to Creative Suite 6, which is available via a perpetual software license.Adobe plans to continue to support the ability to export to Creative Suite 6 in applications where it is available when it ships. New features added to the desktop applications after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or supported by the Creative Suite 6 application"
EndQuote

Thanks for the clarification. I was following a twitter conversation with an Adobe account that seemed to indicate otherwise. But can't argue with black n white.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
AntimatterVFX
Know-it-All
portfolio
A Nobody
Antimatter

I have seen countless posts from people who like many here are quite "satisfied" using older versions of CS suites and only upgrade every 2-3 years. Adobe is clearly going after this type of user to get more green out of them.

To some extent the buy or rent situation is a cultural one, I personally, like to buy and own but others will like the lower barrier to entry and not be phased by having nothing to show for years and years of subs. I look at the CC Suite and think wow that's a lot of software that I wouldn't actually use. At £50 a month I doubt if I get my monies worth out of it, there's a lot of junk in that CC collection.

I ditched Adobe years ago when the UK Master Collection was double the price of the US version and never missed them because I was never fond of the software. I tend to use Nuke for most comping stills and motion so no need for PS or AE. I despise the AE UI with a passion and really cannot believe how popular it is. It's a shame there's no 2.5D/3D Mograph nodal App out there that would breath life into the space. Apple's Motion had an interesting take on mograph but they've not developed it beyond an über titling tool which it is very good at.

It'll be interesting to see if the CC is a success or not.

Thread Closed share thread