Adobe announces no more CS... Going subscription only...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Adobe announces no more CS... Going subscription only...

I know this is the C4D board, but lots of us use After Effects... And this is an interesting change in business model.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57...scription-only/

Old 05 May 2013   #2
I'm not even remotely surprised. I think we all saw it coming. The only real downer is that the price after the first year works out to $600 annually which is an increase over the previous model, and favors Adobe's margins heavily since production overhead will diminish without the need to duplicate, package and ship physical media.

It would be nice if there were less-expensice tiers too... A setup where you could create your own bundles of apps (say $30/month after the first year for 3 or maybe 4 apps), so that one isn't paying for stuff they use.... For me, After Effects is essential, Premiere is becoming essential, and Photoshop and Illustrator are pretty universal (though I loathe AI, and find myself making image adjustments in AE far more of late). I don't care about Flash, Encore, Audition, Lightroom, In Design, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Muse, or any of the other stuff they make, and its disappointing that Adobe is so arrogant as to want to force end-users to pay for crap they have no use for. Of course THAT philosophy has existed since the inception of the bundled CS software...

Oh well. It's just the way of things when you have a single company making all the tools.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 05 May 2013   #3
So what's it going to look like financially for those of us who need to stay current on AE and Premiere but can leave PS and AI alone? I really only need to update two apps at this point. I can't stand what they keep doing to PS and AI, they're making no improvements. I went back to CS5 for those.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
http://www.adobe.com/products/creat...ying-guide.html

Looks like about $20/month per app. :(

MacOS Sierra (MBPRMid2012) / Windows 10, C4DR18, VRAY 1.9, XP3.5, Adobe CC 2017

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Awful idea imho. Pray Maxon doesn't do this.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
I'm undecided. It sounds bad to all of us who are used to owning software, but really what's the difference? It could actually end up being cheaper. My only concern is how it works: does it dial in every time you fire up AE? Because I do a lot of work on planes and on laptops remotely, so if this thing assumes I'm going to be connected every time I need to work, I'm not gonna be happy. Otherwise, I'm actually not sure I care what form the software comes in. I would be delighted to not have to pay for all the bloated Adobe stuff I'm not using.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
What's really bothering me is that we have licenses and maintenance on their volume licensing plan (higher Ed) for which we pay a huge amount. We pay even more for two years of maintenance at a time, which means that we get free upgrades for the duration of our maintenance. We should be covered until the end of this year.

From what I can tell, the new creative cloud versions of the CS Suite apps are considered "some new and special beast", and will not be upgraded on the maintenance plan. If true, this is a bait and switch of the first order, and I will have another reason to look for alternatives...

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by jerm: I'm undecided. It sounds bad to all of us who are used to owning software, but really what's the difference? It could actually end up being cheaper. My only concern is how it works: does it dial in every time you fire up AE? Because I do a lot of work on planes and on laptops remotely, so if this thing assumes I'm going to be connected every time I need to work, I'm not gonna be happy. Otherwise, I'm actually not sure I care what form the software comes in. I would be delighted to not have to pay for all the bloated Adobe stuff I'm not using.

Well, unless they have or are changing it, the Creative Cloud versions are no different from the disc versions in that you download and install the physical software. I don't think it has to phone home in order to work, but rather just for updates and such.

The thing is though, at $50/month (after the first year), the annual cost is higher than it had previously been to update the Master Collection every year, so you are in fact paying for stuff that you don't need, and are in fact paying more for it.

$20/month for a single application is ludicrous, unless you only need one. By the time you have a second one, you are only $10/month away from the full price, so you might as well have them all.

Personally, I think the whole thing borders on Monopoly abuse.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 05 May 2013   #9
What bugs me a bit, ist that the monthly membership costs 61 per month, which is about 80$... not really transparent design of pricing :/

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Awful idea imho. Pray Maxon doesn't do this.

They've already started IMO. That's where the MSA leads. I would expect that soon, you won't buy a licence with or without an MSA, you'll just buy an MSA. Then, because it will be a big lump sum, Maxon will offer a monthly instalment plan.

That's a subscription even if they don't call it that.

Steve

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Originally Posted by spedler: They've already started IMO. That's where the MSA leads...

Almost - but the crucial difference is that if your installation gets in a tangle somehow, or you're stuck offline and something goes wrong, Cinema doesn't lock you out of using it.

This has happened to me a couple of times now, using CS6 not even CreativeCloud, where I've suddenly been told I have '-1 days remaining on my subscription', and been dumped into demo mode. It's then my problem to fix the installation, unregister, download updates etc - would have been a massive problem if I was offline.

It's teething problems sure, and I guess they'll sort these out, but the fact that it's a possibility makes me really reluctant to take them up on this 'great offer'.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
A good point, that's true. I've been using Creative Cloud since it was released and never had a problem, including times when I've been offline. But yes, it's a possible concern.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Adobe aren't doing this out of generosity and must be because people in general simply are not upgrading for years. The Creative Cloud prevents you sitting by with a perfectly serviceable package until Adobe deliver a worthwhile upgrade. Adobe have removed that option and will force you to take whatever they offer as there's no onus on them anymore because you have to pay to keep your software alive not just pay for upgrades.

Nice to see EU/UK customer being gouged again even if you add VAT we're still paying more than US for the same electronic product. Gouge away Adobe.

Last edited by AntimatterVFX : 05 May 2013 at 10:45 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Due to a credit card change we got the 'your software will stop working' message (words to that effect). Can't tell you how disturbing that is and what a poignant reminder of how tighter grip Adobe has on every designers business.

Once the CS6 apps ceased to be supported the simple truth is you will have to pay Adobe forever just to be able to do your job. You will have no choice in budgeting as you wish, the bill will have to be paid every month, forever, or your software will stop and files will be uneditable.

Terrible idea. Talk about alienating your users.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
this is what happens when there's no real competition

Thread Closed share thread