Poly Extrude along Spline?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Poly Extrude along Spline?

The old EAS plugin no longer works in R14 and the Mograph Extrude object never quite developed to include this function.

Are there any other tools out there or features Im missing that allows one to extrude a poly selection of an object along a path? Forkroot was a possibility but doesnt quite work the way I want for this task.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
bellaLugosi/Daniel Schild had one cooking: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1043661 ,but it never surfaced?! Donīt know why.

No big help, Joel, but maybe some gentle peer pressure can make bellaLugosi release it?

Old 05 May 2013   #3
How about Arndt's EdgeExtrude Pro?

Not sure if it's available anymore, and I recall it went broken at some version of C4D, or then I simply forgot how to use it properly. I was a mighty good pluding, whether it is related to this thread or not. Arndt please bring it back! If I started an online petition to have it return, it would get 100 000+ names in no time.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: The old EAS plugin no longer works in R14 and the Mograph Extrude object never quite developed to include this function.

Are there any other tools out there or features Im missing that allows one to extrude a poly selection of an object along a path? Forkroot was a possibility but doesnt quite work the way I want for this task.

There is really no useful workaround for this task! Hope somebody find a solution for this.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thanks guys--I'll check out bellaLugosi's plug. (EDIT--took a look...thats exactly what I want!)

@Hilt Heres the ancient URL for E.A.S.
A picture is with a thousand words

http://home.arcor.de/m1.haller/plugin/EAS_feat_e.htm

Really seems like the mograph extrude object could/should be able to do this sort of thing.
Or maybe Rui could add this functionality into his Forkroot plugin.

In the meantime I just use sweepnurbs on a square primitive, make editable then bridge with the base mesh I want to extrude from. Kind of time consuming when you have 40 or 50 or so branches to extrude and bridge.

Last edited by JoelDubin : 05 May 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Hilt: How about Arndt's EdgeExtrude Pro?

You may need an update, but EdgeExtrude Pro still works with R14. Indispensible for cutting holes with fillets.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
It isnīt possible with Vreels older "EdgeExtrude" or something else !

The nearest results can get with the MoGraph Extuder in conjunction with a spline in a MoSpline slot, but it is not approximately correct if you want the fully control :(

Old 05 May 2013   #8
I know this plug-in used to exist, but I can't find it anymore. I did find the video showing how it works though :-)

http://www.dns-plugins.de/files/other/pos_epas.mp4

_mike

Old 05 May 2013   #9
The plugin is never released.
I remember he stopped developing this last year.

See the this tread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1043661

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Joel,
I used MG extrude with a formula and step effector.
Other effectors may work better ... perhaps a starting point?

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Thanks David

I've tried this as well with the extrude object. I just dont have the control or get the results I need. For instance, if you want a low poly extrusion, with only 4 or 5 steps but fills the length of the guide spline,,,well, you can't. Also the extrusion isnt exactly lined up with the guide spline, which is very important for what I am doing.

Took me about 8 hours doing it the sweep nurbs > make editable >bridge method but it worked.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread