What happened to auto recovered scene files in R14?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
What happened to auto recovered scene files in R14?

What happened to the bug report recovered scenes files I could get if it crashed. It was such a life saver.

I always thought it was strange that such a brilliant thing was tucked away in secret. If it were me I would have a recover scene file button on the interface.

Im on Mac OSX 10.8.2 and R14.

05 May 2013
They are still there :-)
But a bit hidden.

Library> preferences> Maxon> R14>_bugreports

odo

05 May 2013
Thanks odo, but OSX Mountain Lion doesn't appear to have that file structure.

Macintosh HD> Library> preferences> = a bunch of Apple prefs and no application folders

A search shows nothing called 'bugreport' on the mac.
I have 'allow bug reports' ticked on in the C4D preference.

Anyone?

05 May 2013
Yes it does have that filestructure. I'm on Mountain Lion myself.

But the library itself is also hidden and you won't find it with search. To see it > go in the Finder menu to "go" and hold the Alt and there you see the library appear. HTH.

odo

05 May 2013
I also do not have the bug reports folder in my R14 prefs

OSX 10.8.3, R14

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by lewisrowe: What happened to the bug report recovered scenes files I could get if it crashed. It was such a life saver.

98% of the time C4D crashes for me is due to a plugin malfunction (err...known bug that they won't fix) or a command that's taking so long that it's better to force quit the program and try something different. In both cases, a bug-report scene isn't created, and you're stuck with your last incremental save.

If anyone knows of a C4D script similar to AE's ToeJam, that allows you to force a save & quit, that'd be great to know.

05 May 2013
I'm on 10.8.3 R14 and I get this path:

Users > yourname > Library > Prefereces> MAXON > Cinema R14 > >bugreports

Like I said. This library is hidden so you first have to meke it visible. The easiest way is to go in findermenu to GO with Alt-down and open the Library.

I would think it is very weird if you guys have a different file structure. I have just a default install.

odo

05 May 2013
Lewis, it looks like you're in the System library. You need to be in the User library.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: If anyone knows of a C4D script similar to AE's ToeJam, that allows you to force a save & quit, that'd be great to know.

Its built in, hold left shift, right shift and delete. Though I dont know how well it will react if its mid-processing something heavy.

05 May 2013
Will definitely give that a try. Thanks!

05 May 2013
Thanks odo. There it is! Just as you described. An invisible folder prefs folder revealed with theAlt key in the Go menu.

Great! I have my scene recovery back.

Thankyou!

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by lewisrowe: Thanks odo, but OSX Mountain Lion doesn't appear to have that file structure.

Macintosh HD> Library> preferences> = a bunch of Apple prefs and no application folders

A search shows nothing called 'bugreport' on the mac.
I have 'allow bug reports' ticked on in the C4D preference.

Anyone?

It's quite easy to find; to cite from the documentation:

"At the bottom of the Preferences dialog window is the Open Preferences Folder... button:
[...]. This location will be opened in your Explorer/Finder window when you click on the Open Preferences Folder... button."

Inside of this Cinema preference folder you'll find a folder named "_bugreports" if there has been any crash yet - and this folder contains the recovery files as well as the crashlog.

Best regards,

wbj

05 May 2013
@WBJ

How could I have missed that button? Thanks for the headsup, perfect one-click solution!

odo

05 May 2013
@WBJ

my second wish come true.. I have a button!

I've stared at those prefs so many times. I guess it demonstrates the phenomenon of menu blindness.

case solved. cheers.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by imashination: Its built in, hold left shift, right shift and delete. Though I dont know how well it will react if its mid-processing something heavy.

Just tried this on R13, and it doesn't do anything if it's trying to process something (in this case, one too many undos).

Thread Closed share thread