switching from Maya to C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
switching from Maya to C4D

Hi everyone,

I've been a Maya artist for ~ 8 years, and I'm looking to start taking jobs in C4D. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good resources specifically tailored to the artist coming from Maya trying to learn Cinema.

Thanks!

Old 04 April 2013   #2
I'm not aware of any tuts that specific but this should help (some is a bit out of date but much is still valid).

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/fil..._maya_guide.pdf

Apart from that I'd suggest joining the C4D cafe and getting stuck into the many free tutorials there.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Hey Danger, I was a Maya user for 10 years till the summer of 2007 when a friend told me about Cineversity.com
It's Maxons' official learning site designed for exactly what I was looking for, and what I believe you may be looking for as well
It has a yearly fee, but COMPLETELY worth every penny, as you have access to the instructors, hundreds of video tutorials, weekly livestream instruction, plus all the recorded NAB and Siggraph panels, a forum, and tons more.

Worth checking out

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Welcome,
make sure to check this thread, it was set up specifically for users of other applications that start to work with CINEMA 4D
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=47&t=167531
Cheers
Björn

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by dangerweenie: Hi everyone,

I've been a Maya artist for ~ 8 years, and I'm looking to start taking jobs in C4D. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good resources specifically tailored to the artist coming from Maya trying to learn Cinema.

Thanks!

Just know that the Channel Box and Attribute Manager are moved into one Attribute Manager in CINEMA, and that the Outliner is called the Object Manager. Graph Editor=F-Curve Mode in the timeline.

That'll get you pretty far. Tutorials should get you the rest

Old 05 May 2013   #6
dangerweenie,

wasn't it painfull? It was for me... Maya is an industry standard and I still use it whenever I grab my lap. Been using c4d for almost an year but so many things seam to miss. Worst part: dealing with the texture layout and I still can't do a character rig. Find myself yelling for Maya all the time.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread