WorkFlow Question, Thrusters / Heat Ripple

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
WorkFlow Question, Thrusters / Heat Ripple

Greetings!

Im in the process of producing an animated trailer for my final year project at Monash University. Now im working on a scene that has two farily blocky ships perform a Harrier style (vtol) take off and then fly off into the sky.

I wanted to know what was the best way to go about creating the thrusters, now modeling is not a problem nor is animating them. I want to understand or get some guidance as to how I can get a nice looking thruster along with some heat distortion coming out of them as they take to the sky

Keep in mind i currently will be using Cinema4d along with either after effects or Nuke for the compositing after the animation is done.

Kind Regards, and a massive thank you for all help provided

-Shaun

Old 04 April 2013   #2
I read some years ago (10?) how you could do this. You render out a separate pass with emitters generating particles in r, g and b colors. these passes will then be used in AE to drive displacement map effect.
with a google search one will get a lot of info, here is perhaps the one I was thinking about...

http://www.creativemac.com/article/Heat-Wave-34773

Last edited by Carl007 : 04 April 2013 at 07:26 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
another thing you can add to the mix is export a 3D Null from C4D to AE with the position of each of the the exhausts of the thrusters.
You can use that data to move your effect in AE along with the thruster.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
I would also suggest giving it a go in AE. Export those nulls like mentioned and an object buffer for the occlusion. I think you could achieve a nice looking effect easier in AE. Definitely faster.

As for creating it in C4D. Lights are a way. Play around with parallel spot lights. Remember, lights can be rigged just like anything else.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
You can do a nice heat distortion effect in C4D using a plane with stretched noise and refraction in the transparency channel.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread