Another SSS bug. Pyrocluster

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Another SSS bug. Pyrocluster

This project might be the death of me. Won't be using SSS again on a real project anytime soon. Should have just stuck with production tried and true Translucent pro...

Anyway,
Got my SSS materials working fine in a series of shots.

Then I needed to add pyrocluster for a volumetric smoke effect in a few of the shots (just a stream of smoke moving through in an isolated area, not encompassing the whole environment)

The SSS effect (applied to other object in the scene) is very dark and dense and nothing like it was.

In fact the SSS error occurs before any particles are emitted, which leads me to believe its the effect of the volume tracer applied to the environment that is canceling-out/affecting the SSS.

Cant really post anything at the moment.--will try to post something later. And yeah, I'll follow up with Maxon--but in the meantime, perhaps someone has come upon this issue and found a workaround. Haven't had time to fiddle with the vol tracer settings to see if I can correct it.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Here is an example and a file reproducing the issue.

Appears to only affect single scattering mode. Cache/direct multi mode will render OK (as long as single isnt on)

Here is the wanted effect without the volume tracer activated. (disregard the facial splotches)

Here it is with the volume tracer turned on.

File attached...

FILE

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Could you post a simplified scene showing your problem?
I tried it here with TP / SSS, both AR and PhyRen seem to work…

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Easy: Just use a big Cube as an Environment Object instead
of the Environment Object. See attached screenshot.
Nevertheless a bug, I'd say :-)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...825/PyroSSS.png

P.S. You can use any object as an Environment Object, which is very nice for
limiting Pyrocluster.

Last edited by typografschaft : 04 April 2013 at 06:50 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thanks Yader. Appreciate the help.

I am aware that you can apply the volume tracer to any object. In this case, the object with the sss encompasses the entire scene (it is a huge enclosed micro/cellular environment)

the camera is inside this object and the smoke is also being emitted within the space inside the object.

I think it still could work with your method if I build an object that will enclose only the pyrosluster particles--tricky but possible. I will give this a try---

Thanks again!

-joel

Old 04 April 2013   #6
It worked beautifully Yader...
Brilliant

Thanks!

Love this forum.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
disable seperate color channel(s) in your SSS shader single scatter settings.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by littledevil: disable seperate color channel(s) in your SSS shader single scatter settings.

Makes no difference on my end--I still get the render error. (applied to my actual shot not the test file with the figure)

Applying the VT to a large enclosing object and not the env object did the trick.
I reported the bug to Maxon.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: It worked beautifully Yader...
Brilliant

Thanks!

Love this forum.

You're welcome

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread