[Plugin] X-Particles V2 Preview1

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #46
nice thats a good call mate

Old 04 April 2013   #47
Finally got to the end of this one! This looks really strong -- seems you've answered all the major criticisms of TP without losing any of the power. I like it!

Old 04 April 2013   #48
thanks chris

Ill try and get a second preview out this friday if i get time, few more little gems to show everyone

mike

Old 04 April 2013   #49
Originally Posted by slouchcorp: thanks chris

Ill try and get a second preview out this friday if i get time, few more little gems to show everyone

mike

"little", LOL can't wait to see what you come up with.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?

Old 04 April 2013   #50
hehe im staying zipped till then

Old 05 May 2013   #51
Originally Posted by spedler: Hi Adam,

....there is a small discount for every owner of v1 if they upgrade to v2.

Steve

Really...only a "small" discount for loyal V1 owners. Well that is not very encouraging. But with great power comes great pricing opportunities - so I guess that is to be expected and you guys deserve to profit from all your excellent work.

Just don't take our excitement over V2 too much for granted as you settle on a final price as it is still a tough economy out there.

Dave

Old 05 May 2013   #52
I know it's a hard call mate we would love to be like zbrush but reality is we're tiny small user base and a years dev time costs a lot for us. Our pricing will still be affordable we don't want to lose users :-) your why we do it.

Ps hopeing to get a new preview out today or tomorrow stay tuned!

Old 05 May 2013   #53
Not to shoot myself in the foot here, but I think 99 was cheap for a particle engine already, I've paid more for things I use far less (looks at you Space mouse...).

Yes more previews please Mike, I saw a snapshot of the path editing you posted on twitter, awesome.

cheers
brasc

Old 05 May 2013   #54
Originally Posted by slouchcorp: I know it's a hard call mate we would love to be like zbrush but reality is we're tiny small user base and a years dev time costs a lot for us. Our pricing will still be affordable we don't want to lose users :-) your why we do it.

Ps hopeing to get a new preview out today or tomorrow stay tuned!

Understood. One thing is for sure, your user base won't remain small forever! Maybe you can make it up to us in V3.

One question though.....are any of you Maxon beta testers? The reason why I ask is as follows:

It appears that there will be no pre-release pricing of V2. So given that we are potentially only 4 to 5 months away from R14.5 or R15 being released by Maxon, then for the hobbiest who has no business need for V2 right away, it only makes sense to wait until after the next version of C4D is released.

Why? Well, R14.5 could very well contain an updated particle engine that matches V2 in capability. It could also very well exceed V2's capabilities and contain SPH! Stranger things have happened. There is nothing to say that Maxon has not been working on this since they started changing the architecture back with R12.

And even if you are beta testers, given how close Maxon holds its cards, this could still be going on. My understanding is that the beta test team really did not know about sculpting in R14 until about a month before its release.

So unless there is a financial advantage to making an early purchase, it is better to wait until after the next version of C4D is announced as we are not that far away.

....and then of course there is this to compete for our dollars from the Thinkbox Software site:

The Krakatoa SR C++ API was successfully employed in the implementation of Krakatoa MY for Autodesk Maya. Customers participating in the Beta test program of Krakatoa SR have also successfully itegrated the renderer with various other applications including Eyeon Fusion and Maxon Cinema 4D.

What you guys have accomplished is outstanding and you definitely deserve to be very well rewarded for your efforts. Just be cautious of everything else that is going on --- As you have mind-share right now, the potential for volume sales is there (I assume you have been watching your page hits for your preview video rather closely).

So please factor all of this in.

Dave

Old 05 May 2013   #55
Originally Posted by DaveA: One question though.....are any of you Maxon beta testers? The reason why I ask is as follows:

It appears that there will be no pre-release pricing of V2. So given that we are potentially only 4 to 5 months away from R14.5 or R15 being released by Maxon, then for the hobbiest who has no business need for V2 right away, it only makes sense to wait until after the next version of C4D is released.

Why? Well, R14.5 could very well contain an updated particle engine that matches V2 in capability. It could also very well exceed V2's capabilities and contain SPH! Stranger things have happened. There is nothing to say that Maxon has not been working on this since they started changing the architecture back with R12.

And even if you are beta testers, given how close Maxon holds its cards, this could still be going on. My understanding is that the beta test team really did not know about sculpting in R14 until about a month before its release.

So unless there is a financial advantage to making an early purchase, it is better to wait until after the next version of C4D is announced as we are not that far away.

....and then of course there is this to compete for our dollars from the Thinkbox Software site:

The Krakatoa SR C++ API was successfully employed in the implementation of Krakatoa MY for Autodesk Maya. Customers participating in the Beta test program of Krakatoa SR have also successfully itegrated the renderer with various other applications including Eyeon Fusion and Maxon Cinema 4D.
Dave

Just a couple of points from this that I think are important. Even if any of us are beta-testers, we couldn't say anything about what might or might not be in any future version of Cinema. That would break the NDA.

It's up to you of course whether you buy XP v2 on release or wait until you see what future versions of Cinema may contain.

Re Krakatoa, my understanding is that the SR version of Krakatoa is the renderer. That's it, no particle engine or anything. I might be wrong about that of course, but even so the SR version is more expensive than XP will be (I can tell you that much!). So I don't see Krakatoa SR as competition for XP, they aren't the same thing.

Steve

Old 05 May 2013   #56
Originally Posted by DaveA: ....and then of course there is this to compete for our dollars from the Thinkbox Software site

"Krakatoa SR is a stand-alone version of Thinkbox Software's production-proven high-volume particle renderer"

Krakatoa is just for rendering particles. It is like using pShade (only Krakatoa is more powerful, but also far more expensive) for TP or X-Particles.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?

Old 05 May 2013   #57
Originally Posted by DaveA: Understood. One thing is for sure, your user base won't remain small forever! Maybe you can make it up to us in V3.

One question though.....are any of you Maxon beta testers?

Obeardy, who I gather is one of the xparticle developers, has done a lot of great development work directly for Maxon (S&T, Hair, etc.). Not sure if he's still involved directly, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't still in the loop. Mike has been on the beta team but I don't know if he is now.

Old 05 May 2013   #58
Yes I am as is David but as stated we can't and won't say anything :-) nature of the game I'm afraid.

Old 05 May 2013   #59
Krakatoa SR for Cinema 4D will be released soon and I surely think, the dev will make sure that X-Particles 2 will be supported

Old 05 May 2013   #60
Don't hold your breath on Krakatoa SR for C4D, unless Thinkbox starts working directly w X-Particles to get around the Cinema/TP bottleneck.

Last edited by WillRyan : 05 May 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Thread Closed share thread