JoelOtron
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
USA

draw spline on surface

Besides the Paint on Surface plugin, projection command and the surface deformers, is there a practical way to draw curves onto the surface of an object? Was taking a look at the new-ish snapping tools but havent had any luck. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
JoelOtron
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
USA

Well--as far as I can tell, Paint on Surface is the only way. Had to go back 2 versions of C4D to get it working but it works well. (I had forgotten to get the R14 update and needed a solution ASAP). Little green squiggles on the surface was what I was after.

Pretty sure Maya has this sort of thing built in with its snapping tools. I have the feeling it can be done using c4d's snapping tools---anyone happen to know if that works?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 10.09.50 PM.jpg (94.7 KB, 64 views)

Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Cometsoft
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
Besides the Paint on Surface plugin, projection command and the surface deformers, is there a practical way to draw curves onto the surface of an object? Was taking a look at the new-ish snapping tools but havent had any luck. Thanks!

I find it works pretty well with the R14 3D snapping. I usually turn on Poly, Vert and Edge snaps. Have to make sure you get the little text popup that shows the snap. It's a bit finicky but works well enough. I only use B-Splines, so can't attest to how the other spline types work.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
JoelOtron
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometsoft
I find it works pretty well with the R14 3D snapping. I usually turn on Poly, Vert and Edge snaps. Have to make sure you get the little text popup that shows the snap. It's a bit finicky but works well enough. I only use B-Splines, so can't attest to how the other spline types work.

I was playing around with the freehand spline mode with snapping, and it wasn't working at all. I'll give b-spline a try. THANKS

Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Cometsoft
Expert

I remember reading somewhere that snapping didn't work with freehand.

Tested Linear and it works too, probably everything but freehand. One thing that seems to make a difference is if you turn on Backface Culling. If you don't it sometimes snaps to the polygon on the opposite side.

I've tried Paint on Surface and it produces way too many vertices for my taste. Have to go in afterwards and run optimize mesh with a large radius and hope for the best. Project Curve on surface works pretty well for stuff that's visible from a single view.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
JoelOtron
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometsoft
I remember reading somewhere that snapping didn't work with freehand.

Tested Linear and it works too, probably everything but freehand. One thing that seems to make a difference is if you turn on Backface Culling. If you don't it sometimes snaps to the polygon on the opposite side.

I've tried Paint on Surface and it produces way too many vertices for my taste. Have to go in afterwards and run optimize mesh with a large radius and hope for the best. Project Curve on surface works pretty well for stuff that's visible from a single view.

Gonna give this a shot today.
Thanks again for your input

It really is useful to draw freehand--if you look at the example in my post above--you can see why. As for optimizing the spline, you can use the mospline object targeting the POS-generated splines and then easily optimize the point count of the generated spline. I have also used a cloner or matrix and generated clones with even spacing on splines with high vertex counts and then used the tracer targeting the cloner (and the evenly spaced clones) and you get a simpler spline that way.

I use the project command all the time--and that woks well with a few splines against a plane, but in the case above, with many splines covering a surface like that, projecting would be tedious.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread