Newbie question about textures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Newbie question about textures

I have searched the forums, and so far cannot find an aswer to this. I have a model that i purchased through TurboSquid and i need the texture files. Currently it has the materials loaded, but when i choose to save project with assets nothing is exported, anyone know why or how i can export the currently used materials that look perfect during a render to jpg pr png?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
is there a tex folder with the model?
are the textures procedural?

Lee

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Yes, but there is only one file, and it's .hdr...I'm not sure what I'm missing

Old 04 April 2013   #4
If these are native CINEMA 4D files the material might actually be made up of procedural shaders, not textures.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Hmmm...so if that's the case, can you save theses retrials out as texture maps?

Old 04 April 2013   #6
can you post an image?

Not sure why you would want texture maps, if you want to take the textures to another file just copy them across..

you should be able to bake the textures.. though I do not use this technique so can not offer advice on that bit..

Lee

Old 04 April 2013   #7
the reason why is because i am wanting to take the 3D model into After Effects to Element 3D. It comes in as a native C4D file, but you have to re-attache the texture maps. And this does not have any.

If i upload it, would someone mind looking at it?

It's a $50 model, that i said it had textures, but ir has an .HDR file, so i would really love to be able to use the model.

Thanks!

Old 04 April 2013   #8
can you post a rendered image??

Lee

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Originally Posted by draken182: the reason why is because i am wanting to take the 3D model into After Effects to Element 3D. It comes in as a native C4D file, but you have to re-attache the texture maps. And this does not have any.

If i upload it, would someone mind looking at it?

It's a $50 model, that i said it had textures, but ir has an .HDR file, so i would really love to be able to use the model.

Thanks!

Just use Cineware
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Here is the render

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Just use Cineware

I would, except Element 3D specifically needs the texture map jpg's or png's to add the material to the object once imported..I have never used cineware, looking into it now. I will check to see if it does the same thing.

Last edited by draken182 : 04 April 2013 at 05:49 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Originally Posted by draken182: I would except Element 3D specifically needs the texture map jpg's or png's to add the material to the object once imported..I have never used cineware, looking into it now. I will check to see if it does the same thing.

Cineware has just been announced on NAB, it isn't available yet. It should do the trick though.
Afaik 3D Elements can load C4D files directly using Melange, just make sure to enable the Melange option in the prefs before saving the scene.
This does not help with procedural materials though, you need to bake those first.
Cheers
Björn

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Cineware isn't even available yet, correct?

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Cineware has just been announced on NAB, it isn't available yet. It should do the trick though.
Afaik 3D Elements can load C4D files directly using Melange, just make sure to enable the Melange option in the prefs before saving the scene.
This does not help with procedural materials though, you need to bake those first.
Cheers
Björn

Thanks Björn! I do have "save for Melange" checked. But i think where i am losing it is the "baking" process. I am watching a lot of tutorials, and reading a lot, but i guess i am not getting how to get a correct "texture" out of the materials. I have read up and learned about the UV Unwrapping and for some reason it coes out really strange when i try that method.
Any links to point me in the right direction on how to "bake those textures correctly?

Thanks again!

Old 04 April 2013   #15
yeah, sorry for my ironic comment. Cineware is not available jet. but if it is this would be the way to go for such a shaded object. procedual shaders and even transparent objects with refractions can not be transfered by any fileformat from one aplication to another as far as i know. (cineware will work in such a case that why i mentioned it)
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Thread Closed share thread