How to move modified Xref parameters back into original Xref file

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
How to move modified Xref parameters back into original Xref file

I have two scene files: 'Xref' and 'Master Scene'. Within the Master Scene file, I have modified several parameters of the Xref file - including PSR changes, material changes, and modifications to the primitives.

However, those changes are not reflected within the original Xref scene. How do I make that happen?

It becomes problematic - specifically if I need to copy and paste these modified Xref objects into a separate scene file, or even if I want to work on these modified Xref objects back in their own scene file.

To summarize: I want to be able to import an Xref into a Master file, make PSR and material changes to the Xreffed objects while they're in the Master scene file, and then see those changes reflected in the original Xref scene file. Is this possible?

I've attached an example scene file(s).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Xref Question.zip (132.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 04 April 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old 04 April 2013   #2
That's not really what XRefs were designed for...
If you want changes done to the actual reference file, you'll have to open up that reference file and do your edits there.
Or, another option would be to do your edits in the master scene, then make the XRef editable. Then copy those out to an empty scene file and save.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
I don't know of a way to propagate PSR back the to the XRef file from the master scene. Would have to look into it more.

However, you could make your XRef editable and then run the "Convert Object Selection to XRef" command to save it to a differently named XRef. Then you can switch out to whichever XRef you want to use--could even use one as a proxy.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by rustEdge: Or, another option would be to do your edits in the master scene, then make the XRef editable. Then copy those out to an empty scene file and save.

Originally Posted by ScientiaViz: However, you could make your XRef editable and then run the "Convert Object Selection to XRef" command to save it to a differently named XRef. Then you can switch out to whichever XRef you want to use--could even use one as a proxy.

This seems to be the best workflow for the moment. Thanks.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread