C4d & Nuke users

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
C4d & Nuke users

Hi All..

I was wondering how many C4d users there are that use Nuke???

just want to see if there is a pool of knowledge there somewhere, as we are developing Nuke into our pipeline..

Cheers

Lee

Old 04 April 2013   #2
I'm very much a C4D Nuke user, although we use VRayforC4D almost exclusively so our multipass workflow is built around that.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Hi Mark.

We use vray also.. are there any issues with the multi pass work flow from vrayc4d?

Lee

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Hi Lee, this is the setup we use for VRay in a linear, multipass workflow. Note that this will probably change with the VRay 1.5 update.

Render from Cinema to multilayered EXRs (lossy 16-bit float, Zip, one scan line at a time).

Colour Mapping:
Linear Multiply
Dark Multiplier: 1
Bright Multiplier: 1
Gamma: 2.2
Subpixel mapping: on
Clamp output: off
Adaptation only: on
Affect Background: off
Linear Workflow: on.

In Nuke:

Shuffle the multilayered EXR to RGB channels. Then do the following:

(Lighting divided by Diffuse) multiplied by diffuse.
This gives you your diffuse contribution. Watch out for your alpha getting damaged here, untick the alpha box for output in the merge node properties for both the multiply and divide nodes.

Then plus GI, Reflection, Specular, RAW Refraction, Self Illumination etc on top.

If using SSS this will not show, you need to minus the above comp from your beauty pass to get the SSS pass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VRay_Nuke.jpg (80.1 KB, 89 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thanks Mark I will give that a go.

Do you use the 3d environment in Nuke in conjunction with C4d?

Lee

Old 04 April 2013   #6
I have used 3D between both programs, not a great deal though, I don't have a tried and tested workflow.
For a recent project we used a Camera Track in Nuke, combined with its model builder, to get a camera and reference geometry into C4D. We used FBX for the geo and a chan file (using steadychan in C4D) for the camera (the FBX camera had some odd keyframes). I've also had success with alembic files from C4D into Nuke.
C4D's saving of Nuke comps seems to have a bug where the camera comes into Nuke with a 90 degree rotation. I've not tried it for a while, it may have been addressed.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Hi All..

Surprised there aren't a few more Nuke. C4d users.

Lee

Old 04 April 2013   #8
I'd love to learn Nuke, it was just way out of my price budget when I started up freelancing, so I stuck with Adobe, which does the job fine so never felt a burning need for Nuke.

cheers
brasc

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Thanks for posting your recipe, Mism. I've been holding off doing any multipass (except depth and material IDs) with Vray in hopes that the new version will sort out the problems. But I might give this a go. Once you've done the basic setup, will your comp match the beauty pass? Do you use a lookup table to see the gamma put back?

Brasco, I use After Effects as well. It's great until you start dealing with linear workflow, 32-bit and lookup tables. Once you get into that world the tools feel cumbersome. I've also seen some issues with multilayered EXRs and our render farm with AE. It seems to get file paths confused.

W

@WillMacNeil_VFX

Old 04 April 2013   #10
I plan to do the compositing of my bachelor theses in nuke.
All the stuff i comped before was maya and MR. So if someone has some usefull hints regarding C4d(Physical Renderer) and Nuke, i would be really thankful.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Kokosing: Once you've done the basic setup, will your comp match the beauty pass? Do you use a lookup table to see the gamma put back?

The comp matches the beauty pass perfectly, no need for any lookup table.
The only exception is when you use SSS. VRay won't let you output an SSS pass so your comp will lack this element. However if you do your comp then minus it from your beauty pass you get the SSS pass. You can then add this to your comp.
It took quite a lot of testing to get this workflow right but we've been using it for around two years now, its well proven.

I've actually been using a 'subtractive multipass' approach more recently. Bring in the Beauty pass then use a merge node set to 'from' to minus off reflection, spec or GI (any additive pass). Or use a merge set to Plus to add additional reflection etc. Its a far simpler node tree and fewer passes to read in, but you don't get the fine control you get with a full multipass setup and its difficult to do anything to non additive passes.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread