Text into wind blown sand

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Text into wind blown sand

Hi there C4D folks. New to the program (but not cg in general) and I'm looking to use it to make a piece of text appear to erode away into sand.

I've found tuts that use polyfx or other things that turn text in a particle effect, but it seems constrained/rigid for lack of a better word.

I guess what i'm looking to do specifically is make my text the emitting source for the sand grains, erode it away as particles blow off, and have those particles then be susceptible to wind effectors so i can scatter and swirl them on the ground.

Anybody know of a tutorial or a fundamental way of thinking about this that might point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Old 04 April 2013   #2
There is one, but unfortunately for Blender:
http://www.blenderdiplom.com/index....-in-blender-262

Cheers Cube

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Hey,

if you look into the contest browser->Studio->Thinking Particles->Examples->Documentation Examples->example12.c4d

This one might help you or at least give you a direction how it could be done.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Possible with a plugin solution, x-particles

https://vimeo.com/m/45745111

Cheers
Mike

Old 04 April 2013   #5
my old TP setup, you can download hier
Attached Files
File Type: zip Magic TParticle v1.0.zip (49.7 KB, 52 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #6
This is done with X-Particles as well.

http://www.p.maicats.de/procshade6.mov

but you could do that with thinking particles as well if you donīt have Xparticles.
What you need:
1) Something to voxelize your text such as proc3Durale (used here to get a point cloud), voxelizer or supervoxels.
2) clone TP or Xparticles onto that points of generated point cloud.
3) use turbulent wind with falloff to blow that particles away ( I used turbulence and gravity only to make it simply fall down, however wind would blow it away in addition)
4) something to shade your particles, pShade or TP with particle geometry

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to look into these solutions but in the meantime last night I had some success and then got stuck on something that is baffling me...

Here is what i tried
-cloners with tiny spheres (sand grains) - set to about 50 grains for working, but when i crank that up to 10,000 it looks like sand.
-cloners (1 for each letter of the word) are in 'object' mode with distribution set to 'volume'
-sand grain spheres have rigid body tags
-project dynamic gravity set to 0
-i then have a wind effecter set to 'cone' and keyframed to blow across the letters over time

Overall i'm happy with the result. Here's the problem
-this wind will completely blow away the first couple letters beautifully. By the middle of the shot (approx 2 seconds) it is leaving half the sand of the letters in place. By the time it is reaching the last letter it seems to have lost all effect.

For the life of me i cannot figure out what setting is causing the wind to lose its effect over time. I do think it is time related though, if I adjust the keyframes so the wind makes its trip in one second, it will blow away all letters, if I make it 8 seconds it will barely blow away the first letter before becoming ineffective.

Any thoughts?

Old 04 April 2013   #8
after asking around and getting the solution from Tim Clapham (http://www.helloluxx.com), you need to go to the Dynamics Body tag -> Dynamics (tab) and zero out the Linear and angular Velocity Thresholds.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Originally Posted by benytone: my old TP setup, you can download hier

Maybe you can post the links to the documentation videos for your setup.
The old links (found in a 2008 thread) are all dead.

Thanks!

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Noseman: Thanks a TON to you and Tim! That was the solution!

Out of curiosity, any idea why that parameter would default to a time limited sense? Seems to me the desired default would be to assume such a thing would act indefinitely once set in motion.

Thx!

Old 04 April 2013   #11
it's actually not a time limitation, but a distance (or rotation) IN time (1 second I think).
What this does, is it tells C4D that any object that has less motion or rotation than the threshold value (during 1 second), will be deactivated from dynamics and stop moving.
Unfortunately, it's the only way to make sure objects won't wiggle when they are NEAR rest state.
Make sure you increase the value (using a keyframe) to something larger than Zero, if you want the objects to come to a full rest after they drop to the floor.

Don't thank me, I'm just the messenger.
:-)

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Another thing you may do, is combine the force (e.g. Wind) with a plain effector, so that the effector will give the objects a starting motion. Combine that with a "Trigger - At Peak Velocity" and you can control the start and end much more efficiently.

The "Threshold" starts "counting" when the dynamic is triggered for EACH object.
As long as the trigger hasn't been initiated, the deactivation doesn't come into play.

Sample scene attached.

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Thanks for the clarity and sample. I was wondering if the force of wind would count as a 'collision' and considered reseting my dynamics tags to 'on collision'. But this seems like a more logical and controlled approach.

Old 04 April 2013   #14
forces are not considered collisions. You can use a trigger object but that would be difficult to control in your case because it will continue colliding with the dynamics objects and spoil your simulation.

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread