SSS bug

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
SSS bug

If you add a specular-only light to your scene (turn off diffuse in your light settings) SSS does not render. I've encountered this a number of times. Anyone else come across this?

The figure has the SSS material (not the sphere)

Specular light off:

Specular light on:

Heres the fie

Old 04 April 2013   #2
You mean, you have no illumination in your scene except the spec only light?

Which mode of sss are you using?

Checked your scene and somehow the illumination changes when you drag the spec light to the bottom in the object manager..changing sss to direct mode doesnt affect this issue too..

Last edited by Mr.Tyler Durden : 04 April 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
You wouldn't expect it to though ? A light that is specular only - by definition is only ever going to generate specular highlights. I thought this option was just for cheating up your sharp speculars without blowing out the image. Seems like the correct behaviour to me.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
@Decade: There are 2 other lights in the scene (you can see them casting shadows in the render). The spec light was added as a third light to intensify speculars. (pls check the file if you get a moment)
The 3rd light cancels out the SSS.

@Tyler Yes--using Cache or Direct Multiple Diffuse or Single scattering options don't matter.

Hadnt tried changing the order in the OM. (if this is a workaround then great---but it appears to be a bug)

EDIT: YES moving to the bottom of the OM fixes the issue for now. THANKS

Last edited by JoelDubin : 04 April 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by JoelOtron:
EDIT: YES moving to the bottom of the OM fixes the issue for now. THANKS

You're welcome although I hate the idea of an internal priority system in the object manager (that no one understands or can be explained its still good to keep this in mind from time to time..

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durden: I hate the idea of an internal priority system in the object manager (that no one understands or can be explained

To paraphrase (loosely) Terry Pratchett, you do not hate it, you simply dislike it. When you have tried to code a complex plugin with the priority system fighting you all the way, then you will know the meaning of hate

Steve

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Originally Posted by spedler: To paraphrase (loosely) Terry Pratchett, you do not hate it, you simply dislike it. When you have tried to code a complex plugin with the priority system fighting you all the way, then you will know the meaning of hate

Steve

I stand corrected

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Meant to post--

This has been confirmed by Maxon to be a known bug and should be corrected soon.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread