Help with Performance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Exclamation Help with Performance

Hello C4D friends,

Just in case you guys have missed, but Cinema4Dtutorial.NET created a new website with some free tutorials. It's not all functional, but there's some nice and cool tutorials about the batmobile and other stuff.

So I've downloaded the scene files from this batmobile modelling (http://www.cinema4d.ws/?portfolio=t...mobile-modeling) and for my surprise it's heavy as hell. Actually, I though it was more heavy than usual.

My system spec if middle level I guess (AMD FX Octa-core 3.1GHz, 16Gigs of DOMINATOR RAM, SLI GeForce GTX 550Ti - 4Gigs of RAM and 384 cuda cores). So I downloaded CINEBENCH and did some testing. I thought my results were fine, so I can't figure why it's soooo slow in my viewport in this scene.

Is there a configuration thing or Nvidia driver thing? I do have the latest one installed. Or maybe it's because I'm running Win8 Pro?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Well I certainly hope you had some other apps running while you did you cinebench, a 5 for an 8 core 3ghz CPU doesn't seem right at all. Even the single core is below 1 which means you single core performance which is what the viewport uses to generate geometry is slow. Then you have a decent gpu score not amazing but good so to me it's likely the scene for the most part. How many polygons and how many objects. The main Problem is most likely the number of objects. Combining things together should help a lot, but its hard to be sure without at least a screen cap of the model and object manager.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Nope, the score is right, the AMD "8" core cpus are complete dogs. Theyre not even 8 full cores, they only have 4 floating point units; and even those run much slower than an intel equivalent.

On top of that the GeForce 550 is the budget version, SLI does nothing in 3D apps.

However despite this, might I suggest that the slow speed of the scene might have something to do with the 40 full character rigs and the 100,000+ keyframes attached to them. I mean seriously wtf in gods name are they even doing there? Also, select the symmetry and hit make editable. You shouldnt leave that much stuff sitting in a symmetry generator

Last edited by imashination : 04 April 2013 at 09:39 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Yeah ... you guys are correct. It´s a budget desktop, but it should perform better. The way it's handling, I guess I'll turn this into a only renderer and build me another desk with Intel processors.

In any case, I opened the scene on my Intel notebook, witch isn't very fast, and surprise surprise, small lags at most.

Spec:
Geforce GT 335M
i7 Q740 1.73GHz
6Gigs RAM
Win8 x64

So I guess that's it for me on AMD processors. On another note, I did put SLI for gaming, but I thought maybe in 3D software it would take an advantage. If I knew better, that money could have ended me a better GPU. Oh well ... living and learning.

Thanks friends.

Edit:
I think maybe its a problem with my hard drives. I'll check more on that. Thanks.

Last edited by MauricioPC : 04 April 2013 at 10:07 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Checked the file and indeed it comes down to all the full rigs motion clips embedded in the file (pointed out by Matthew).
You don't even need to edit the symmetry object, as simply removing the motion clips will make the file fly again.

Goes to show that motion clips could use some optimizations, though, but C4D handles that file like a champ even with the generator active.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread