Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
CosmicRage
the great saiyaman
portfolio
Chris
Motion Graphics Artist
USA

Exporting Camera Data with animated nulls to AE

I have a scene I am currently experimenting with and I have a little bit of a weird problem going on that I can't seem to crack, so I thought I would check the forum and see if anyone has a solution or ideas to try.

I have a scene with a Camera Rig that has the heirarchy of...
NULL
_NULL2
__Camera

The Camera has keyframes on the Y Position and the P Rotation, and NULL2 has keyframes on the X and Z positions. I have exported the camera and null to after effects but things aren't lining up. (I have some export tags set up on some planes that I am going to make interchangeable content on). However it appears that the animation on the NULL2 isn't translating into after effects.

I have tried exporting out the null and having the camera parented to it in AE and also tried parenting the objects to the null with no success.

One of the other things I have been working with is Xpresso and linking a new cameras Global matrix to the NULL 2 global matrix. But it appears that won't do the trick either.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or is my camera rig just not going to work for this scene? Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Carl007
Expert
portfolio
Flâneur

If nothing else works, perhaps bake the camera motion...

Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
tcastudios
Steady now!

Sweden

Put your cam in a MorphCam or SteadyGLIDE..
It will then take the settings and global position.
(In your test you'd want to connect the Global Matrix from the
original cam to the new one, but other settings doesn't follow)

Cheers
Lennart

Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
CosmicRage
the great saiyaman
portfolio
Chris
Motion Graphics Artist
USA

I have tried baking the camera, it only bakes the frames between the keyframes that are set. So it's not working... is there a different way to bake the motion of something that I missed? I used the bake object command in the timeline window on the camera.

As for the morphcam, I am running R13 Broadcast and from what I found it looks like that is from R14? That's my fault I should have specified what version I was on.

The keyframes on the NULL2 are from 0-130 and the Camera goes from 110-300. The part that is messed up is the NULL2. Its like none of that data is there. I say that because when I am in AE from frames 130 and up the solids line up where they need to be, its the first 130 frames that there are keyframes on the NULL2.

When I was a maya user I was always taught to use Nulls with Cameras. Is this not the case in C4D when you know you are exporting to AE? I appreciate all of your help and suggestions on this.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
noseman
3D nosey

Athanasios Pozantzis
3D Generalist - Certified C4D Trainer
Noseman productions
Toronto, Canada

the 3D camera data that get's exported is the global Position and rotation.
You shouldn't need to parent the camera to anything.
Would it be possible to save the scene without any other objects (add a cube maybe) but the camera hierarchy?

Have you by any chance modified the Camera Film Offset values?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
CosmicRage
the great saiyaman
portfolio
Chris
Motion Graphics Artist
USA

I have just the camera heirachy in the C4D file and zipped but it says it is too large to upload @ about 6MB do you want to PM me an email addy or Skype etc?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
CosmicRage
the great saiyaman
portfolio
Chris
Motion Graphics Artist
USA

I created a sample scene, with just a plane with an export tag to create a solid in AE. I opened up the AEC file in AE and everything rendered out fine. So this way I know there isn't anything wrong with the exporter plug-in. The camera has keyframes on every frame and I was able to precompose the solid and able to change it to whatever I wanted to no problem.

I tried the project file I have been having issues with and I don't get the same results. The camera has only 2 keyframes on it and at the end of the last keyframe the layer ends, so i have to actually drag it out to have it go the entire length of the composition.

But the sample scene worked so I guess the plug in is working.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
CosmicRage
the great saiyaman
portfolio
Chris
Motion Graphics Artist
USA

PROBLEM SOLVED

I feel rather dumb for something so obvious but here's what was going on. So when I was rendering out the targa sequence I was rendering it out as chunks of frames (like 0-100) and so on instead of having it set to ALL FRAMES. So when it was rendering out the AEC file it was only putting together that section and not the whole timeline. That is why things were not lining up. I hopped back into cinema 4D and set the output to ALL FRAMES and then rendered out the AEC file and it worked.

I figured it out by opening the project file and setting up a new camera with just a throw away animation to see what would happen. I was getting a camera but it was cut off at the same point. It was at that point I recalled I rendered it out in chunks.

Just goes to show I need to be in C4D more and AE a little less. Thanks to everyone that tried to help, I feel bad for overlooking something so obvious but hopefully this helps someone that may overlook the same thing at some point.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
noseman
3D nosey

Athanasios Pozantzis
3D Generalist - Certified C4D Trainer
Noseman productions
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicRage
I feel bad for overlooking something so obvious but hopefully this helps someone that may overlook the same thing at some point.

I'm glad you solved it. You are now wiser :-)

Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread