Sculpting and NET--bug? limitation?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Sculpting and NET--bug? limitation?

Just rendered a shot that included a sculpted object. Animation renders fine locally however on NET the sculpting displacement is not applied to the model. Is baking out the sculpt to a displacement map mandatory for NET render? Dont see any mention at all in the help docs about NET limitations.

04 April 2013
Needed to bake the displacement/normals and all is fine.

Last edited by JoelDubin : 04 April 2013 at 06:39 AM.

04 April 2013
yes i guess this is a limitation, i had the same problem
and didnt find anything in the help

u have to bake it to high poly or displacement map

04 April 2013
Thanks--yes, seems to be the case. Looking back, it turned out to not be that big of a deal, but would have been nice to know the baking was necessary to begin with.

My assumption was that the sculpting tag was a generator of some kind that holds the displacement/subdivision info.

04 April 2013
How did your baked materials turn out? Did you use the button in the sculpt layout? I've had a lot of trouble with that setup and the maps that it turns out. The resulting materials are not usable at all.

In either case, glad you got it sorted.

04 April 2013
Hi Gary--I think I saw your post from awhile back (looked it up when I was running into problems).
Was worried after reading it as I'd already gone down a long path to get where I was and needed to get the file rendered for a deadline--but got it working.

Yes--I used the bake button from the sculpt menu.
The baked displacement/normals and AO came out OK--a little softer and maybe not as detailed as the initial results, but pretty good (baked 2048 x 2048). At first I messed up the BP texture as the the sculpt baking messed up the Uvs, but then saw in the docs that leaving the remapping function set to off will keep your old UVs intact.

I'll send a note to Maxon to see if the need to bake for NET is a glitch or just the way it works. Would prefer of course that sculpted objects could be rendered on NET as is without baking to displacement.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread